ALMOST a dozen clubs are in pursuit of Richie Wellens’ targets that are capable of complimenting top striker Jerry Yates, meaning the Swindon Town boss isn’t close to confirming a fresh forward addition anytime soon.

The news will come as a worry to Town supporters given Yates’ suspension following his straight red card at Colchester United on Tuesday night during the Carabao Cup first round, a game Swindon lost 3-0.

Yates, who has scored in both of Town’s two League Two fixtures this season, is set to miss this weekend’s visit to Exeter City, next Tuesday’s home game against Northampton Town and the trip to Cheltenham Town the following Saturday.

Consequently, Wellens admits the forward’s red card will force himself and director of football Paul Jewell to turn the urgency in their search for a forward up a notch – with an increased number of phone calls made throughout Wednesday.

Wellens said: “If I’m being honest, we’re not close to anything.

“We’re not on the verge of doing anything – nothing is 50-50. We’ll probably have to start making phone calls to push something through quickly.

“The problem we’ve got is that the players we are after, 10 or more clubs are after them as well.

“We have to just wait, and I’m trying to be as patient as I possibly can.

“I would like them in most definitely before the Exeter game now.”

Keshi Anderson, Kaiyne Woolery and Scott Twine are now Wellens’ only attacking options to fill the void left by Yates’ suspension.

While impressed by Twine’s performance against Colchester on Tuesday night, the Town boss doesn’t view the 20-year-old as a centre forward.

In addition, Woolery and Anderson’s squandering of chances in front of goal against United will be of concern to the Town boss.

Wellens added: “Scott did well on Tuesday, I thought his performance was good.

“But he’s not a centre forward. We might have to come up with something, a player that can cause Exeter problems.

“Ideally, I want to bring a striker in that can play in a similar way to Jerry.

“Jerry sets things up, he’s a nuisance to the opposition, he's a threat and creates chances because of his work rate. He will be a massive loss.”

Meanwhile, Town have confirmed to the Adver that Wellens was sent off following an incident after the full-time whistle during his side’s Carabao Cup exit at Colchester.

The Town boss was given his marching orders by referee Charles Breakspear, with Colchester assistant manager Steve Ball also shown a red card.

The referee’s report has now been sent to the Football Association for study as the club await to hear on any possible sanction.