SWINDON Supermarine slipped to a 3-1 defeat away at Merthyr Town on Bank Holiday Monday to make it just one point from the last nine available in Southern League Premier Division South.

Marine were slow out of the blocks in Wales and Ian Lucas fired the home side ahead with less than 20 minutes on the clock.

Lee Spalding’s side were able to keep the deficit to one goal at the break but they fell further behind just after the hour mark when Ian Traylor doubled Merthyr’s lead.

Kane Simpson struck to cut the gap with a quarter-of-an-hour to go but Marine’s hopes of a comeback were extinguished when Traylor netted his second of the game with five minutes remaining.

Marine manager Spalding said: “We started poorly and until Merthyr scored their first goal, we didn’t really get playing.

“We didn’t start brightly enough, we didn’t get the ball down and we didn’t pass it well enough.

“We were sloppy in possession and when they scored, it put us on the back foot even more.

“For the next 20 minutes, we did play some OK stuff, we just didn’t exploit them enough in the areas we thought we could hurt them.

“We spoke about it at half-time and we came out in the second half and showed a bit of a response.

“ We started to play wide and get the ball forward quicker but when they scored a second goal, it took the wind out of our sails.

“We kept going and scored though Kane but then with five minutes left, they scored again to make it 3-1 and kill us off.

“It was probably one of our worst performances of the season. We weren’t at it for the full 90 minutes.

“In spells, we showed what we are capable of but, unfortunately, playing for 30 minutes of 90 isn’t going to win you many games of football.

“That was the story of the day.”

There was also disappointment for Highworth Town in Division One South as they fell to a last-gasp 1-0 defeat at home to near neighbours Cirencester Town.

John Dennis got the only goal of the game for the visitors with just two minutes to go at the Save on Tyres Stadium.

There was a local derby in Hellenic League Premier Division and Shrivenham secured the bragging rights over Fairford Town thanks to an emphatic 5-1 success on home turf as Jack Allan scored all five for the winners.

The defeat sees Fairford surrender their 100 per cent record in the league this season, although they remain in the top three in the table.

Allan struck twice in the first 10 minutes at Barrington Park as Shrivvy took control of the contest early on.

Callum Preece then cut the deficit just after the half-hour mark to ensure just one goal separated the sides at the break.

However, it was all Shrivenham in the second half and Allan needed just eight minutes after the restart to complete his hat-trick before striking twice more to wrap up a time-fiver.

The only slight blemish on Shrivvy’s performance was the sending off of Dave Bampton in the closing stages.