SWINDON Supermarine and Highworth Town both safely saw off the threat of lower league opposition to make progress in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Southern League Premier Division South side Supermarine were 3-0 winners away at Wantage Town, who play a tier below in Division One South.

Highworth, who compete in the same division as Wantage, overcame Toolstation League Premier Division side Exmouth Town 4-2 on home turf.

Marine headed into this weekend's first qualifying round tie on the back of a tough run in the league, which has seen them collect just one point from the last four games.

For manager Lee Spalding, a win by any means necessary against Wantage was crucial.

“Saturday was all about the result," said Spalding.

"We scored three good goals, we kept a clean sheet and got into the next round of the cup – that was the most important thing of all.

“We can play better and we can pass the ball better but it was difficult conditions. The pitch wasn’t the best and the grass was very dry.

“It didn’t really suit what we want to do, which is try to get the ball down and move it.

“But I thought we coped well with that and we created enough chances. I thought we were the better team and deserved to win.

"We can now look forward to the draw for the next round on Monday."

Marine got off to a dream start against Wantage as Matt Liddiard headed them in front in the opening minute.

The visitors then moved two goals to the good before the break as Jamie Edge scored a superb free-kick.

And Marine made sure of the win in the closing stages as Stuart Fleetwood netted a spectacular third.

Although recent defeats to Truro City, Merthyr Town and Poole Town have meant for a tricky start to their league programme, Spalding has always remained positive about Marine's credentials.

"We have come out of a tough run of games in the league, having played three of what I would say are the better sides," said Spalding.

"We have been competitive, and every game has been tight.

"It's good to get a win back under our belts and get the confidence going again."

Highworth also took control of their FA Cup clash in the first half as goals from Sol Pryce and Steve Robertson put them 2-0 up against Exmouth at the break.

Although the visitors pulled a goal back on the hour, Ashley Edenborough struck a late brace for the Worthians to push the lead to 4-1.

Jeff Roberts' side were given something to think about when Exmouth cut the gap in stoppage time, but the strike came much too late to prevent Highworth’s passage into the next round.