TIME is something Richie Wellens would no doubt appreciate at this moment, especially following Saturday’s home stalemate against the excellently-supported Plymouth Argyle.

For the second Saturday in succession, Town revealed their latest addition as free agent Dion Donohue – sacked by Mansfield Town last month following his arrest on suspicion of assault – joined Wellens’ promotion-chasing squad.

The 26-year-old’s arrival meant three players made their home league debuts against the Pilgrims.

Goalkeeper Steven Benda, central defender Gabriel Zakuani and Donohue all started – not a bad effort to restrict hard-charging Plymouth to a single goal then?

That’s considering only Mathieu Baudry – himself returning from injury after a month out – and Rob Hunt were known to Town fans prior to this summer’s deadline day.

Excuses can of course be made. But the bigger – and biggest – picture of all shows four points have been yielded from Town’s last five games.

Of those five fixtures, Cambridge United have been the only team Town have faced currently positioned in the bottom half of the League Two table.

You could therefore argue Town have faced a tricky run. But if promotion is to be achieved, shouldn’t these be the teams Swindon come out on top against?

Strength in depth is another issue Wellens will no doubt have to tackle. Looking at Saturday’s bench, Luke McCormick revealed he is lacking in confidence, the same applies to Tom Broadbent.

Michael Doughty’s second-half performance earned him a dose of criticism, Kaiyne Woolery’s introduction as a substitute hardly inspired the paying spectators either.

Then you have Ellis Iandolo, another Wellens revealed to be struggling. Scott Twine is understandably a way off becoming a proven first-team player. Danny Rose is the exception.

Reading into the above, you wouldn’t think Town currently find themselves positioned in League Two’s play-off frame.

But great expectation is a natural by-product of hope – something generated from crushing wins against Leyton Orient, Macclesfield Town and Morecambe during Town’s free-scoring spree in late August and early September.

Another stiff test awaits Wellens’ team next weekend, table-topping Crewe Alexandra host a Town side searching for what could be only their second win in seven games.

Wellens opted to make four changes from the side that started last weekend’s game at Bradford City.

New signing Donohue made his debut, while Baudry made his first league start since Colchester’s United visit a month ago.

Goalkeeper Benda made his Football League debut, while Eoin Doyle returned up front.

After Keshi Anderson’s ambitious early effort from range was comfortably caught by visiting goalkeeper Alex Palmer, Town were opened up for the first time with seven minutes played.

A neat through ball fooled Baudry and Hunt as Zak Rudden escaped both men to emerge into Town’s penalty area with pressure from behind.

Home fans’ understandable concern was quashed when the back-tracking Baudry excellently ensured the teenage striker failed to register a shot.

The twinkle-toed Lloyd Isgrove combined twice with Doyle to carve out two chances for Town, both efforts missed the target.

Between all this, there were three pauses in play as Anderson, Isgrove and Anthony Grant went down to receive medical attention – all three men continued without issue.

Danny Mayor’s effort for the visitors from a tight angle on 37 minutes was aimed underwhelmingly wide.

But Argyle’s Rudden was again left to ponder his wrongdoing when a one-on-one effort against Benda was directed straight at Town’s new first-choice keeper.

The teenager was made to pay for his poor effort in front of goal minutes later when Swindon – against the run of play – broke the deadlock.

Doyle’s name went down on the scoresheet after he chipped the ball over Palmer. But the plaudits must go to Jordan Lyden, whose smart pass sliced through five visiting defenders after Anderson and Yates provided the earlier build-up work.

A goal up at half-time, the majority would’ve taken that.

No changes were made by Wellens at half-time, although Argyle boss Ryan Lowe opted to introduce central defender Niall Canavan in place of Will Aimson.

Rudden’s overhit drive from 22 yards was the only chance of the half’s opening 10 minutes.

It was evident during this period that Anderson was lacking his usual energetic flair.

He was consequently removed from play with the game approaching its hour mark as Doughty came on.

The game took a scrappy turn. Baudry picked up a needless yellow card after holding the ball following referee Rob Lewis’ decision to award Argyle a free-kick.

Lyden was also, controversially, shown yellow. Spats between players resulted from Lewis’ calls – the game needed controlling at this point.

Lowe used his remaining two substitutes with 20 minutes remaining – on came Jose Baxter and George Cooper for Joe Riley and Callum McFadzean.

Argyle enjoyed greater levels of possession with the clock ticking down. But chances were limited to efforts outside the area – Town’s defence held firm, or so it seemed.

Argyle’s period of dominance told, and they drew level with 15 minutes remaining – sparking the Stratton Bank into a green mist of joy and jubilation.

The goal was well worked. Quick movement from Joel Grant and Cooper granted the former a free shot on goal eight yards out.

His right-footed effort was delicately placed in Benda’s far right corner. Game on.

Argyle continued to press but visiting boss Lowe no doubt breathed a sigh of relief when Mayor’s challenge on Benda was only punished with a yellow.

Town’s keeper held the ball with both hands when Mayor wrapped both arms around Benda’s neck – a ‘high tackle’ that would’ve been better placed on the rugby field.

At the other end, Woolery squandered a golden opportunity to win the match when dragging an effort wide.

Benda came to Town’s rescue shortly before four minutes was signalled for injury time. A thunderous volley by Antoni Sarcevic was fisted back in eye-catching style.

Town continued to come under heavy fire, but they held on to record a point – their fourth in five games.