CHRIS PORTER’S second half brace denied Swindon Town any points against League Two leaders Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road on Saturday, with the hosts running out 3-1 winners.

Dangerous winger Charlie Kirk complemented Porter’s earlier strikes to wrap up three points for David Artell’s side as Town’s League Two blip extended for another week.

Only four points have been secured by Richie Wellens’ side in their last six League Two fixtures – though they remain in the division's play-off frame.

Against the run of play, Town established an unlikely lead by half time thanks to Eoin Doyle’s well taken right-footed strike.

But Crewe’s pressure – which saw them outshoot Town 21 to three over the 90 minutes – told as Porter bagged his brace before Kirk’s injury time effort secured the points.

No changes were made by Richie Wellens following last week’s 1-1 draw to Plymouth Argyle.

Diallang Jaiyesimi did, however, make the bench after months out with an ankle injury.

Five minutes hadn’t passed before Town were first put on the backfoot.

Smart build up play on the edge of the visitors’ 18-yard box granted dangerous winger Kirk possession, his pass to Pickering was delicately directed towards Benda’s bottom right corner.

But the German ‘keeper quickly got low to excellently guide the hosts’ first effort wide.

While that was Crewe’s only serious attempt of the game’s opening half-hour, they pressed hard during that period – Town were dominated and had no answer.

Tom Lowery and Dale in particular combined well on the right to cause Anderson and Donohue all sorts of problems.

Town’s number 10 briefly switched sides with pocket-sized Lloyd Isgrove before he was replaced by Danny Rose with 33 minutes played.

Anderson wasn’t the only player to depart the pitch prematurely. Crewe’s Hunt appeared to be nursing a knock, and was replaced by former Swindon captain Olly Lancashire with 16 minutes on the clock.

After Rose’s introduction to play, the hosts’ period of domination was halted – and top League Two goalscorer Eoin Doyle did what he does best.

A pacey cross from Hunt was whipped into Crewe’s penalty area and tapped down by the waiting Lyden, who took up a more attacking role following Wellens’ tactical tweak.

Doyle turned on marker Wintle and rocketed his right-footed shot into Jaaskelainen’s bottom far corner – an excellently taken goal.

Crewe’s threat remained right up until the conclusion of four minutes of stoppage time after Town’s opener.

Dangerman Dale fell victim to Zakuani’s no nonsense defending, while Kirk hopelessly guided his effort on the turn wide from a tight angle.

Neither manager opted to make a change at half time, and it was Crewe that started the brighter.

After Lowery’s cross was blocked by Donohue, Porter headed the hosts’ latest effort well over Benda’s crossbar.

Perry Ng went close too. After advancing towards Town’s penalty area unchallenged, the right-back’s effort crashed into Benda’s near post side netting – it took half the ground a heart stopping second to work that out, though.

Pressure built, and Crewe were soon level. Baudry’s initial clearance fell to Lowery’s feet on the edge of the visitors’ penalty area.

A whipped cross was then nodded home by Porter – Benda stood little chance.

For over a quarter-of-an-hour, there was a definite lull in the game – both teams quickly got men behind the ball when pressed on.

Town’s best chance fell to Dion Donohue. The ball fell to the left back’s feet following Lancashire’s poor clearance – Jaaskelainen made a comfortable two-handed save.

A string of four yellow cards followed – all of them were cheap for Town to giveaway.

Woolery, Rose and Doyle went into the book for fouls while Lyden was booked for handling the ball after calling for a foul.

It was evident Crewe were back in the game’s driving seat, and it told when Porter netted the game’s winning goal after Benda made a superb initial save.

Charlie Kirk confirmed Crewe’s three points when scoring on the break.

With struggling Stevenage set to visit SN1 on Tuesday, pressure is quickly building on the County Ground outfit.