SAM Bullas registered a true captain’s goal in overtime on Saturday to earn Swindon Wildcats a remarkable National League win over Milton Keynes Lightning.

Bullas would’ve never predicted netting an overtime winner with just over four minutes of the third and final period remaining as Lightning held a two-goal lead at 3-1.

Tyler VanKleef then halved Cats’ two-goal deficit with at 55.22 before Max Birbraer equalised with only 20 seconds left in the game to force overtime – where Bullas grabbed the visitors’ late winner.

Victory was made even more sweet as news filtered through that runaway National League leaders Telford Tigers had lost 6-3 away from home to Hull.

Consequently, the gap between both title chasing teams is now only five points – though Tigers do have one game in hand.

Reacting to Saturday night’s win, Nell said: “I’m delighted for the team, Milton Keynes were really good on Saturday and we weren’t at our best.

“But we competed really hard and battled so we deserved two points. We haven’t been brave in overtime this year, but I’m proud of the team and they got what they deserved.

“We’re in a situation where we just have to go for it. We knew Telford lost (at Hull), so we had a big chance to get two points closer.

“There is still a long way to go, but the way we won was massive. Thursday (against Telford) was the fastest game of the season, probably the best game of the season.

“And Saturday against MK was even faster. To pick up a win in their building is difficult, and it’s sweet for the players.”

Nell was particularly pleased to see Bullas net Wildcats’ overtime winner after admitting his roster weren’t quite at the races for the game’s duration.

Wildcats enjoyed a rare Sunday off to recuperate from another brutal spell of fixtures, but welcome Sheffield Steeldogs to the Link Centre on Saturday – another big game amid the club’s quest to further breach the gap between themselves and Telford. Nell added: “It’s massive for Bully (Sam Bullas) because we have struggled in overtime this year.

“We went for it, and I’m so happy that Bully got his captain’s goal. It’s been a great week for the club, and we couldn’t have done more in two tough games.

“I’m very happy and proud of the team. We will enjoy a Sunday off and get back at it ready for Sheffield next Saturday.”