THOUGH runaway Verde Recreo Championship leaders Swansea continue to dominate this campaign, second placed Swindon kept up the chase by downing Cheltenham A 4-1 on Saturday.

Following last weekend’s disappointing loss at Clifton Robinsons, the men’s 1st XI returned to winning ways – though their win against Cheltenham was far from comfortable.

Swindon started brightly and scored in the opening minutes when Thomas Gillingham jabbed the ball away from a defender and into the path of Tom Wickens, who calmly scored.

A few minutes later a second followed as Dave Miles’ straight strike was tipped in by the defender on the right post.

A third followed as Wickens grabbed his second following a scrappy short corner that Tom Goldsmith kept alive.

The half finished in frustrating fashion for the hosts as with no time left on the clock an overhead pass found its way to the Cheltenham danger man at the top of the circle. He controlled well and fired hard beyond Jonathan Griffiths in the Swindon goal.

Leading by a goal, the second half proved to be a much closer affair.

Swindon tried to play good hockey but struggled to keep hold of the ball.

Cheltenham meanwhile were limited to a handful of opportunities before Wickens completed his hat trick on the reverse following good work from Chris Parsons and Goldsmith down the Swindon right.

Next week Swindon travel to bottom side Firebrands A.

Elsewhere, Men’s 2s lost 2-6 at home to Bristol University.

The second team were a goal behind with only a minute on the clock, and that deficit was doubled four minutes later.

Swindon regrouped and played some good hockey for the remainder of the first half.

Phil Scarisbrick scored a great goal before a short corner on the stroke of half time re-established the visitors’ two-goal lead.

Students’ high press led to Swindon conceding another two goals at the start of the second half.

Swindon registered a second goal, but it was only consolation as Bristol won 2-6.

Men’s 3s also played at home as City of Bath C made the short trip down the M4.

Another disappointing result occurred from the game, though, as the hosts were beaten 1-4.

Bath scored three goals in the second half as Alastair Young scored thirds’ only goal of the game.