SWINDON Town saw their unbeaten league start at home go up in smoke against AFC Wimbledon after a Joe Pigott goal midway through the first half led to a 1-0 defeat.

Following wins against Rochdale and Burton Albion at the County Ground this season, Town put an all-time unbeaten record against AFC Wimbledon on the line and saw a five-game streak ended against the London outfit.

But a frustrating afternoon – driven by Wimbledon’s stern defending and ability to spring counter-attacks with regularity – meant a third defeat in a row in all competitions for Richie Wellens’ men.

Wellens made three changes from the 3-1 defeat to Peterborough United with Jonathan Grounds and Dion Donohue making their first league start, while Diallang Jaiyesimi took the place of Jordan Stevens who moved into right-back due to the absence of Paul Caddis.

Stevens – who was said to have missed training in the week due to a stomach bug – made his recovery just in time while Rob Hunt, who Wellens suggested may have had a stress fracture in his back, was well enough for a spot on the bench.

Town started very brightly against the Dons, and Jaiyesimi had an early effort saved comfortably in the early stages.

The winger almost turned provider moments later as he sprung the offside trap down the left.

Jaiyesimi fired a ball across goal that somehow skewed over the bar from about three yards out by a Dons defender.

Pitman saw a long-range free-kick comfortably saved as the first half moved on before a couple of errors from the striker prevented Town from opening the scoring.

First, a delayed pass to the rampaging Jonny Smith down the right saw a chance fizzle out before Pitman selfishly tried to shoot when Smith was again better placed.

Up the other end, Wimbledon began to grow into the game and almost scored themselves through Pigott – only an immaculately-timed interception from Grounds prevented the Dons striker from netting a tap-in.

Stand-in right-back Jordan Stevens was shown a yellow card for a lazy challenge on Ethan Chislett midway through the first half.

But despite a pretty good start, Town found themselves behind after Luke O'Neill swung a deep ball into the box from the right that Pigott stabbed home unmarked in the 28th minute.

It was a pattern that Wimbledon had tried to implement for most of the first half – sitting in a low block before leaping forward and trying to create something on the counter-attack.

And the visitors did have further chances in the remainder of the first 45 – Ryan Longman with the best of them as he headed wide a delightful cross from the left.

Baudry went close for Town from a corner, but the hosts were left frustrated as the half-time whistle blew.

With the wind very much behind them in the second half, Town set about finding an equaliser, though they could have been two goals down if the referee had pointed to the spot 10 minutes after the break.

Goalscorer Pigott went down under the challenge of Donohue following a Dons free-kick, but the referee saw nothing doing and waved play on.

Town almost equalised from the most unlikely of sources following a corner on the hour mark.

Payne’s delivery was headed down towards Grounds who showed impressive footwork to chisel out a shooting opportunity – though his effort was blocked when goal-bound.

Although, a moment of near-brilliance from Jaiyesimi very nearly hauled Town level moments later.

Donohue won the ball back deep in the Dons' half before playing it back to Jaiyesimi to drop his shoulder twice when faced up by visiting defenders.

The winger finally shot, but the effort did not have enough curl on it and travelled narrowly wide from just outside the box.

Jonny Smith was next to try his luck from distance - but the Bristol City loanee’s effort was not powerful enough or hit with enough direction to test Trueman.

Wellens threw Tyler Smith and Akin Odimayo on with 15 minutes to go, as Jaiyesimi shifted into a central position following the withdrawal of Payne and Pitman.

With a little over 10 minutes remaining, Wimbledon had evidently decided that they would try and save what they had, banking in quite deep to preserve energy.

Town came forward through Matt Smith, and Stevens exchanged passes with the Arsenal man before drilling a low effort straight at Trueman.

Jaiyesimi was the last Town man to go close after running onto an Odimayo cross, however a brilliant diving save from Trueman away to his right denied Town the equaliser with time expiring.

STFC line-up: Kovar, Stevens, Baudry, Grounds, Donohue, M Smith, A Grant, J Smith, Payne, Jaiyesimi, Pitman.

AFCW line-up: Trueman, O'Neill, Csoka, Woodyard, Thomas, Chislett, Oksanen, McLoughlin, Longman, Pigott, Seddon.