SCOTT Twine scored a 94th minute winner as Swindon Town beat Crewe Alexandra 2-1 at the County Ground on Saturday.

Despite going one down inside the first five minutes, an own goal from Crewe’s Travis Johnson gave the hosts a lifeline before 10 minutes had ticked by.

And as the game appeared to be heading towards a stalemate, excellent build-up play from Town afforded Twine the opportunity to snatch three points at the death with a cool, low finish.

The victory lifted Swindon out of the League One relegation zone by two points ahead of a difficult trip to the leaders, Lincoln City on Tuesday.

Town made four changes from the 2-0 defeat away at Portsmouth on February 9. Joe Wollacott made his Town debut in goal while Paul Caddis, Tom Broadbent and Jonathan Grounds came back into the defence.

The changes saw Swindon line up in a 5-3-2 formation, with Jordon Garrick alongside Brett Pitman up front and the returning Grounds slot into the centre of the five-man back line.

Sheridan has often criticised his side for conceding too early in games, and Town did it again against Crewe when Lowery opened the scoring after just five minutes.

One long ball down the right found Mikael Mandron, and with the retreating Town defence still catching up with the play, Crewe’s striker was able to simply square it for Lowery to tap in from six yards.

Immediately after the goal, the visitors had a couple more chances to extend their lead. Owen Dale cracked a shot over from the edge of the box when well set, and Wollacott made a fantastic save away to his left to tip away a Mandron header.

Despite the early Crewe pressure, Town levelled affairs inside 10 minutes. Dom Thompson’s cross was missed by Caddis initially before Dion Conroy picked up the rebound and poked it into the middle hopefully. Crewe right-back Johnson reacted quickest, but his intervention was not accurate as he nodded it past Dave Richards.

Crewe took their turn to go close in an action-packed first 15 minutes when Luke Murphy’s excellent cross from deep on the left was poked goalwards by Mandron. Fortunately for Town, the ball just looped over the bar and onto the roof of the net from the striker’s right boot.

After Broadbent saw claims for a penalty waved away when appearing to be wrestled to the ground from a corner, Crewe almost took the lead just before the break.

Desperate to make up for his earlier error, Johnson collected a through ball down the right side of the box before slamming a firm, low cross towards Mandron – only an immaculately-timed interception from Conroy prevented a second visiting goal.

Shortly into the second half, Mandron missed a huge chance for Crewe. The ball was chipped over the top of the Town defence by Murphy, and Mandron was completely alone inside the box.

The striker tried to volley it first time but sliced his left-footed effort over the bar from about eight yards as everyone expected the net to bulge.

On the hour, Town had an excellent chance of their own to take the lead, but a top-drawer save from Richards denied Pitman on the line.

Caddis clipped the ball into Garrick before the winger turned and crossed for Pitman. The striker must have thought he’d scored but an outstretched arm from Richards denied the 33-year-old from close range.

David Artell’s men had the ball in the net shortly after when Mandron poked home, but a foul in the build up curtailed any visiting celebrations.

Those potential celebrations had to be put on ice once again moments later. Grounds got pulled out of position and a knock over the top found Charlie Kirk down the left. He slid a ball across the face of goal, but Mandron was just unable to tap in despite sliding into the goal.

Substitute Twine struck a firm free-kick straight at Richards inside the final 10 minutes as Swindon tried to carve out a late winner.

Just before added time went up, Wollacott made another huge save for his team after Mandron turned onto his left inside the box before shooting low. Town’s stopper got down brilliantly to deny the Crewe man from close range.

From the rebound, Grounds reacted just in time to turn the ball against Powell and out for a goal-kick.

And with time about to expire, excellent build up play from Matt Palmer found Pitman. The striker backheeled a pass into substitute Hallam Hope, allowing the striker to sting the palms of Richards.

From the rebound, Twine coolly slotted home to snatch victory for Sheridan’s men.

STFC starting XI: Wollacott, Caddis, Conroy, Grounds, Pitman, Garrick, Payne, Missilou, Palmer, Thompson, Broadbent.

SUBS: Twine, Odimayo, Curran, Hunt, Omotoye, Matthews, Hope.

CAFC starting XI: Richards, Pickering, Wintle, Lowery, Kirk, Mandron, Dale, Johnson, Murphy, Beckles, Wood.

SUBS: Jaaskelainen, Daniels, Powell, Porter, Lancashire, Walker, Evans.