BRETT Pitman’s sixth goal of the season saw Swindon Town come from behind to beat Northampton Town 2-1 at the County Ground on Saturday.

The Swindon striker’s contribution extended a run of games where the Wiltshire side are yet to lose when the 33-year-old has found the net – four wins, two draws. Meanwhile, defeat for Northampton was the Cobblers’ 11th game without a win.

Success for John Sheridan's men also took Swindon up to 18th in League One, ahead of a tricky trio of fixtures.

Northampton took the lead in the first half when Ryan Watson struck a powerful effort through the hands of debutante goalkeeper Archie Matthews – thrust into the starting XI following a late injury to Jojo Wollacott.

Scott Twine whipped a free-kick into the top corner just before the break to equalise, and it was Pitman once again who nodded the winner in the 70th minute.

John Sheridan initially made one change to the starting XI that drew 2-2 away at Lincoln City on Tuesday as Paul Caddis came in for Akin Odimayo. Then, minutes before kick-off, goalkeeper Wollacott picked up an injury and 19-year-old Matthews was thrust in for his professional debut.

For Northampton, the Cobblers were littered with ex-Swindon links. Lloyd Jones is an ex-Swindon loanee, Joseph Mills was born in the town, while Alan Sheehan and Mark Marshall are also former players.

The game between two relegation battlers started out in predictably nervy fashion, with neither side being able or willing to string more than a handful of passes together.

Northampton saw more of the ball in the opening 20 minutes as Swindon opted to send the ball long towards Brett Pitman at every opportunity.

Yet, it was Swindon who created the first real chance of the game. Palmer swung a ball in from the right that Broadbent rose well to meet but was unable to keep down.

Northampton continued to dominate possession, and in the 26th minute, the visitors took the lead.

A poor initial clearance saw the ball fall to Watson, and after cutting back onto his right foot he drilled a shot goalwards that burst through Matthews' hands and into the corner.

The hosts attempted to respond as Jack Payne continued his excellent start to the game by setting up Twine for a long-distance strike, but the effort bounced a few yards wide of the post.

Shortly before the break, Sam Hoskins blasted a shot at goal from outside the box that Matthews gathered well in a boost to his confidence.

And as added time went up, Swindon found a way back into the game courtesy of a wonderful free-kick from Twine.

After being fouled 25 yards out and slightly right of centre, Twine picked himself up to whip an effort into the top corner. Mitchell got a hand to it, but it was struck too sweetly for him to be able to turn it away.

The pattern of the game did not change too much after the break, but it was Swindon who nearly took the lead in fortunate circumstances.

Conroy chipped a ball towards Garrick that no one really reacted to before the Town winger got their first and lobbed it in towards Pitman as Mitchell raced out of his goal.

Jones was covering well though, otherwise that would have been a really soft second goal for Swindon.

Up the other end, Northampton almost took the lead, but for a superb block from Paul Caddis. Broadbent was nutmegged down the right before the ball was played towards Hoskins. As the Cobblers man pulled the trigger, Caddis jumped in front of it to turn the ball away.

Moments later, there was another hairy moment for Matthews - a shot came in from the left that he spilled right out in front of him. Luckily, Broadbent was to the rebound first and he turned it out for a corner.

After a barrage of Northampton chances midway through the second half were not taken, Swindon played the role of party poopers for the second time in a week.

An inch-perfect ball forward by Palmer found Garrick down the right, and his lobbed cross - also inch-perfect - found Pitman unmarked in the middle. The header was taken off balance but was still just powerful enough to leak over the goal-line as Mitchell scrambled back.

Northampton struggled to knit any meaningful moves together after Swindon’s second, and lovely play from the hosts almost put the game to bed with five minutes to play.

Garrick rolled Mills before firing a low cross towards Pitman near the penalty spot. The striker dummied it allowing Twine to curl a powerful effort at goal which Mitchell parried away well.

Northampton continued to lump the ball forward in the final minutes, but the Cobblers never came anywhere near an equaliser in truth, and jubilant scenes emerged from the Swindon bench at full-time.

STFC starting XI: Matthews, Caddis, Grounds, Conroy (c), Broadbent, Thompson, Palmer, Payne, Twine, Garrick, Pitman.

SUBS: Iandolo, Curran, Missilou, Hunt, Omotoye, Hope.

NTFC starting XI: Mitchell, Kioso, Jones, Sheehan, Mills, Morris, Watson, Hoskins, Marshall, Edmondson, Miller, SUBS: Arnold, Sowerby, Bolger, Horsfall, McWilliams, Rose, Chukwuemeka.