SWINDON Town claimed their first win of pre-season with a convincing 3-1 success over Swindon Supermarine on Tuesday night.

An early strike from Harry Parsons and a brace from former Port Vale striker Harry McKirdy helped Town to a three-goal advantage at the break before Marine pulled a goal back late on.

The win came on a positive day for the club overall, with the EFL giving prospective owner Clem Morfuni the green light to take full control of the club following his passing of the owners’ and directors’ test.

On the pitch, Town started brightly and with the first meaningful move of the game, the visitors opened the scoring. Mildenhall’s men knocked it from right to left and down the flank to Ellis Iandolo. The left-back then found a teammate before Parsons took over on the edge of the box.

Marine gave Parsons far too much time to pick his spot, but even still the Town forward absolutely drilled his effort past Martin Horsell and into the bottom right corner.

Moments later, Marine's David Pratt thought he had equalised following Conor McDonagh's low cross, but the linesman has his flag raised and Town's blushes were spared.

Marine rarely tested Jojo Wollacott and were once again punished midway through the first half. Just before the drinks break, the returning Jack Payne kept the ball alive in midfield before feeding Parsons. Scorer of Town’s first, Parsons flicked a pass through to McKirdy who nipped in between goalkeeper and defender to squeeze the ball home from a tight angle.

Able to add some early gloss to the scoreline, McKirdy tapped in from close range to add his second and Town's third in this first half.

Following a cluster of substitutions that also saw the return of fan-favourite, Anthony Grant, the game became slightly more erratic, and Town were unable to create as many chances as they had done in the first half.

With the light fading and time running out, Marine pulled their first goal back in fine style. A chipped ball forward was chested on towards Henry Spalding who took a touch and volleyed into the corner from distance.

Marine continued their push for an unlikely draw and notched once again in the dying moments to set those of a Town persuasion slightly on edge.

Spalding's cross from the left was headed back into a dangerous area before being tapped in on the line by Pratt.

Unfortunately for Marine, there was not enough time left to create another chance and Town held on for victory.