ROYAL Wootton Bassett Town progressed into the FA Vase second round after a hat-trick from John Mills helped Sam Collier’s men thrash Downton 4-0 at the Gerard Buxton Sports Ground on Saturday.

The Wessex League Division One outfit was no match for a Bassett side which has struggled in the Hellenic League of late, with Gio Wrona completing the scoring for the hosts to put them into the second round for only the fourth time in the club’s history.

A tight first half was split by Mills’ first of the game in the 35th minute - the experienced striker played a one-two with first-half substitute Joe Selman before slipping his shot to the right of the advancing goalkeeper.

While Downton wasted a couple of chances of their own, Bassett also missed an opportunity to double their lead before the break. Selman snatched at a shot after Alan Griffin had redirected a Gio Wrona cross back across goal.

It mattered not in the end though as Bassett emerged from the break as the dominant force to go two up. Tommy Ouldridge squared a ball inside to Mills, who needed just one touch to roll his marker before slotting home.

Wrona eventually grabbed Bassett’s third, the midfielder tapping in after Fredericks could only weakly parry a Chris Taylor effort.

And the scoring would be completed in the final minute after Will Davidson forced another turnover of play inside Downton’s half. The ball broke for Mills who advanced towards goal unopposed before calmly picking out the bottom corner.

Bassett's reward for reaching the second round in consecutive years is a home tie with South West Peninsula League Premier Division East side, Torpoint.

Nicknamed the Windmills, Torpoint currently remain unbeaten in the league, having won eight and drawn one of the nine fixtures they have played so far.


Elsewhere, Swindon Supermarine’s winless run continues following a 1-0 defeat away at Hartley Wintney in Southern League Premier South on Saturday.

Marine hit the post early on through Conor McDonagh but would ultimately be punished for not taking their chances when Kingsley Eshun curled home the only goal of the game in the 57th minute.

Lee Spalding’s men will hope to bounce back this weekend when they travel to Tiverton Town in the FA Trophy.


Highworth Town saw their five-game winning run in Southern League Division One South ended as they lost 1-0 away at Larkhall Athletic at the weekend.

After having a strong penalty appeal turned down and a later goal ruled out for offside, Highworth conceded midway through the first half when former Worthian Aysa Corrick scored from a tight angle.