THE BESPOKE Guardians Swindon Wildcats moved to the top of the National Ice Hockey League following back-to-back wins at the weekend.

Aaron Nell’s team first edged past Peterborough Phantoms in a thrilling 6-5 extra-time success at the Link Centre on Saturday before going on to shut former league leaders, Sheffield Steeldogs, out for a 3-0 triumph on Sunday.

Another four-point weekend made it two in a row for Swindon, as well as extending the club’s winning record to five in a row.

Saturday’s action began with a shorthanded goal for ex-Wildcat Callum Buglass as Peterborough took a 10th-minute lead.

Chris Jones equalised in the 19th minute, only to see Alex Padelek restore the Phantoms’ advantage in the dying seconds of the first period.

Bradley Bowering extended the visitors’ lead early in the middle period, but Swindon came back fighting to level the score through Emil Svec’s first and a powerplay goal from Nell.

Svec added his second in the 34th minute as the Wildcats took the lead for the first time.

Duncan Speirs made it 4-4 on a powerplay, but Tomasz Malasinski put Swindon back in front with 15 minutes to go.

Nell’s men were looking to hold onto their narrow advantage, and they managed to do it until 15 seconds from the final buzzer - Tom Norton scrambling home the equaliser.

But the spoils would ultimately fall the way of the home team once Svec banged home the winner to complete his hat-trick in overtime.

High on confidence after Saturday’s dramatic victory, Swindon took on league leaders Sheffield for the right to go top on Sunday.

Svec - who was enjoying a superb weekend - netted the first goal close to the end of the opening period to edge the Wildcats in front.

Incredibly, the contest remained at 1-0 through to the second buzzer as netminder Renny Marr continued to shut out the trying Steeldogs attackers.

A game full of high-quality defending was finally interrupted by Balint Pakozdi’s 56th-minute unassisted powerplay goal.

And the Cats put the cherry on top of the cake in the 59th minute as Sheffield went for broke leaving an empty net.

Jack Goodchild played the puck to Jones who in turn found Malasinski for a third, result-clinching, goal.