SWINDON Supermarine provided a shock in the Southern League Premier South division following a comfortable 3-1 victory away at fourth-placed Gosport Borough on Saturday.

A brace for Bristol Rovers loanee Kieran Phillips helped Lee Spalding’s men seal the result after Harry Williams had opened the scoring in the first half.

A rare three points pushed Marine up to 16th ahead of a Wiltshire derby with Salisbury next weekend.

The visitors’ afternoon got off to the perfect start when Jamie Edge’s cross from the right was spilled by Gosport goalkeeper Bertie White, leaving Williams to tap into the net past a helpless covering defender in the eighth minute.

Marine went close through Ryan Campbell and Williams again, but the score remained 1-0 at the break.

Gosport came out firing after half-time, and Marine had goalkeeper Martin Horsell to thank for remaining in front.

In the 47th minute, Brad Tarbuck had a close-range shot saved before Dan Wooden’s follow-up effort had to be pushed onto the post by the Marine stopper.

Phillips hit the post in the 57th minute, but the Rovers loanee would not have to wait much longer for his goal. Williams slipped Phillips through on a counter-attack, and the striker made no mistake to put Marine two goals to the good.

Five minutes later, the game was sealed after yet another slick counter-attack saw Brad Hooper exchange passes with Phillips before the latter finished the move off.

The Wiltshire side could not hold on to its clean sheet, however, as Gosport pulled one back in the 79th minute. A corner was caught up in the wind, and Horsell was unlucky to drop the ball onto the back of Lewis Hall’s head before it dribbled over the line.

Marine held onto the lead, however, for just their fifth league win from 20 games

Elsewhere, in Southern League Division One South, Highworth Town lost 2-0 away at Melksham Town in their Wiltshire derby.

Albie Hopkins netted the first after half-time before Luke Ballinger scored directly from a wind-assisted corner to seal the result.

In the Hellenic League Premier, Royal Wootton Bassett Town lost 3-0 away at Corsham Town.

Two goals from Gary Higdon, and one from Chris Allen, in the opening half an hour saw Bassett well beaten following Alan Griffin’s early red card.