SWINDON Town’s away league run came to a shuddering halt on Tuesday night following a sobering 4-1 defeat away at Leyton Orient.

A brace from Aaron Drinan was added to by two goals from ex-Swindon striker Harry Smith as Ben Garner’s men were ripped apart in the second 45.

Harry McKirdy had restored parity just before the break, but Town’s debut in their new third kit was one to forget as Kenny Jackett’s men ran away with the points in the end.

The crushing loss dropped Swindon down to fifth on goal difference ahead of a trip to Barrow on Saturday.

Swindon made two changes to the side that squeezed past Walsall in the second round of the FA Cup on Saturday. Romoney Crichlow and Ben Gladwin came in for Rob Hunt and Jonny Williams - both of whom dropped to the bench.

For Orient, there were a pair of familiar names who started. Lawrence Vigouroux – who played 130 times for Swindon – took his place in goal while 6'5 Smith was at the opposite end of the pitch.

The game started brightly with half-chances for both teams, though neither could apply the finishing touch as both goalkeepers received an early touch.

The end-to-end style of the contest continued through the first 10 minutes as Orient’s Craig Clay picked up an early yellow card.

Swindon carved out the first real chance of the game shortly after. Louis Reed crossed in towards Ellis Iandolo, but under severe pressure from his marker the defender headed just wide.

In the 18th minute, Town went behind after Romoney Crichlow needlessly gave away a throw-in deep inside his own territory.

The first throw-in was cleared, but the cross-field ball back across to Tom James was lasered by Shad Ogie, and that allowed the right back to whip in a low cross for Drinan to flick into the roof of the net at the near post.

Following the goal, it was Town who bossed the ball though. Kenny Jackett’s men seemed content to sit back and soak up the pressure – a feat they largely managed well as Garner’s men were limited to just a long-range strike from Jack Payne down Vigouroux’s throat.

McKirdy wasted a chance to lay a goal on a plate for Kaine Kesler-Hayden 10 minutes before the break, but shortly after he more than made amends.

Tyreece Simpson – who had held the ball up reasonably well up to that point – brought the ball forward down the left and slipped in Iandolo. There was a question of offside from that pass, but the linesman kept his flag down and Iandolo was allowed to get his head up before searching for a black shirt.

The left-back got it spot on from there, whipping a cross towards the near post that McKirdy tooped to head home.

An exciting start to the second half saw a couple of good chances for Swindon go begging. Kesler-Hayden cut in from his perch on the right and steadied himself in the box before drilling a shot towards the left corner. Vigouroux had to be alert to turn it away down low.

Almost immediately from the save, Iandolo picked up the ball out on the left. He drove into the box, and with Orient defenders reluctant to tackle him he poked narrowly wide on the stretch.

Just short of the hour, Leyton Orient re-took the lead after Town fell asleep at the back. Theo Archibald picked up the ball on the left and crossed into the channel of uncertainty between goalkeeper and defenders. Town's black wall stood still like statues while Drinan ghosted in to prod past Wollacott.

Six minutes later, it was three. In a similar turn of events to the second, Orient’s third came from yet another Archibald cross from the left.

The wing-back delivered another wicked cross from the left, and former Town loanee Smith just let it hit him in the middle before slamming home past Wollacott from close range.

Swindon had seldom been behind away from home all season, and Garner’s men were struggling to find the answers to Orient’s questions. The hosts were enjoying themselves, and cries of “Ole” began with time running down.

And inside the final 10 minutes, Smith rubbed some more salt into Town’s wounds by making it four.

On a breakaway down the right, Drinan's powerful, low effort from the edge of the box was saved by Wollacott but headed into an empty net by the former Swindon striker.

Town threw on Williams and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson in a desperate attempt to claw something unlikely from the game, but it never looked like emerging as Orient comfortably saw six minutes of added time trickle by.

LOFC XI: Vigouroux, James, Clay, Smith, Kemp, Archibald, Mitchell, Drinan, Beckles, Ogie, Kyprianou.

SUBS: Byrne, Happe, Thompson, Omotoye, Pratley, Sotiriou, Young.

STFC XI: Wollacott, Odimayo, Iandolo, Conroy, Crichlow, Gladwin, Simpson, Payne, McKirdy, Kesler-Hayden, Reed.

SUBS: Ward, Lyden, Mitchell-Lawson, Gilbert, Williams, Hunt, East.