THE Bespoke Guardians Swindon Wildcats secured two points in the opening weekend of the play-offs after a double-header against Peterborough Phantoms.

Swindon suffered a shock 3-0 loss at home to the Phantoms on Saturday night before responding with a gritty and pulsating 4-3 success in Cambridgeshire on Sunday.

After the first round of games, the Wildcats, the Phantoms, Sheffield Steeldogs, and Basingstoke Bison all have two points with four fixtures left.

Saturday's contest remained goalless, though not without action, until midway through the second period - Glenn Billing tipped the puck past Renny Marr to put the Phantoms a goal up.

Swindon could have been two behind at the second buzzer as well after Ales Padalek cracked a shot off the bar.

Aaron Nell's men managed a better attacking show in the final period, but Renny Marr's brother Jordan was equal to every one of the hosts' efforts.

With just under three minutes to go, the Wildcats threw everything at Peterborough, but the visitors struck on the counter-attack when Padalek picked up a loose puck and slotted past Marr.

Swindon's stopper was pulled in favour of an extra skater inside the final two minutes, but the Phantoms scored yet again through Duncan Spiers to seal the win.

Attempting to bounce back with a vital two points, the Wildcats failed to net early on as the opening period on Sunday ended without a goal for either side.

An early second-period powerplay resulted in the game's opening goal after Nell ripped a shot past Peterborough's Marr following a slick pass by Emil Svec.

The hosts responded shortly after though, Billing netted his second of the weekend on the rebound.

The Phantoms started the third period off with a five-on-three powerplay, and they took full advantage as Nathan Salem's shot through traffic ended up in the back of the net.

However, Swindon wasted no time in levelling at two. Wildcats' captain Sam Bullas burst his way through from a face-off and flicked the puck high over Marr’s shoulder.

An all-action third period then featured a stunning blue-line strike from Callum Buglass which found its way into the top corner.

With time trickling on, Balint Pakozdi equalised in rather fortunate style after throwing the puck towards goal and watching it bounce over the Phantoms' stopper.

And with 49 seconds to play, Swindon struck the decisive blow when Eddie Bebris whipped a shot low past Marr to make it 4-3.