PORT Vale have been charged by the Football Association for failing to control their fans at the end of the League Two play-off semi-final second-leg against Swindon Town back in May.

Vale, who went on to win promotion back to League One courtesy of a thumping 3-0 success against Mansfield Town in the final at Wembley, have been charged with a breach of FA rule E20, relating to the conduct of supporters.

Following the Valiants’ semi-final penalty shoot-out success at Vale Park on Thursday, May 19, hundreds of fans stormed onto the pitch to celebrate with their players while several supporters allegedly attacked Swindon players as they attempted to make their way down the tunnel.

Other Vale fans ran towards the 2,200 Swindon supporters and began throwing missiles – said to include bottles and coins – into an away end which included the elderly and children.

Former defender Mandela Egbo posted a photo of himself on social media with a cut on his face, claiming to have been attacked.

In June, three men from Stoke-on-Trent, aged 19, 28, and 39, were arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and were taken into custody.

In a statement, the FA said their case will go on to be heard by an independent regulatory commission.

Meanwhile, Detective Inspector Andy Bryan, who was leading the investigation for Staffordshire Police, said: “We have reviewed hours of CCTV, bodycam and TV footage so far and will look to make further arrests in coming weeks.

“There’s no place in football for this sort of behaviour and we are working closely with both clubs to help locate those responsible and we will take action against anyone found to be involved.”

At the time of writing, no further arrests have been made.

In June, police were working on tracing 15 people as part of the investigation into incidents thought to have happened before, during, and after the League Two play-off semi-final.

Last week, it was announced that pitch invaders at Premier League and English Football League matches will receive an automatic club ban under new measures to tackle fan behaviour.

The pitch incursion at Vale Park was among a number of incidents late last season that raised concerns about safety at grounds.

Bristol Rovers, Huddersfield Town, and Everton have all been charged for their part in the separate issues back in May.

Meanwhile, incidents at Manchester City and Nottingham Forest continue to be investigated.