ROYAL Wootton Bassett and Fairford Town were forced to share the spoils as their derby clash ended in a 1-1 stalemate.

The first half came and went with neither side being able to break the deadlock but it was the hosts who claimed the first blow, when Sam Packer’s flick found the back of the net, to give Bassett a 1-0 lead.

Three minutes later Jody Bevan’s side crawled back into contention when Dan Reynolds got his second goal of the season to restore parity.

Despite taking the point, Bassett boss Rich Hunter says it was an exasperating game to watch from the sidelines, as his team had plenty of opportunities to win the game.

“It was a very frustrating afternoon for us, I think we created over 30 chances, dominated possession throughout the game but we only came away with a point,” he said.

“Fair play to Fairford, they had a game plan and were very defensive, they slowed the game down at any opportunity.

“They had one chance and they scored, but that is dropped points in my opinion with the possession and the chances we created.

“It is very frustrating because we are far better than them but just couldn’t see out the job.”

Highworth Town saw their perfect start to in the Premier Division brought to an end as they lost 4-2 at home to Wantage Town.

The Worthians, who remain at the top of the table, came flying out of the blocks on home turf when Jon Davoile put them in the driving seat by notching with three minutes on the clock.

However, a goal from Jack Dunmall in the 28th minute meant the two sides went in at the break level.

Three minutes after the restart it was the visitors who made a breakthrough when James Glover handed them the lead for the first time.

Striker Ashley Edenborough was on hand to level the game once again just after the hour mark, before Dunmall doubled his tally to give Wantage the advantage with nine minutes left to play.

Former Bassett man Steve Robertson grabbed a decisive fourth for the visitors, who were relegated from the Southern League last term, in the 85th minute.

Meanwhile, in the Challenge Cup, Hellenic League Division One West side New College were comfortably beaten 4-1 at home by Division Two West leaders Moreton Rangers.