HIGHWORTH Town manager Jeff Roberts admitted his side had to dig deep for three points as they edged out Windsor 2-1 away from home in the Premier Division.

The game was only 12 minutes old when the Worthians broke the deadlock, Aaron Ferris getting the all-important goal.

The home side hit back before the break to make it 1-1 at the interval before Ferris popped up again with the winner in the 70th minute.

The result sees Highworth remain at the top of the table with eight games left to play.

“It was a hard-fought game. I thought they were well organised and their front two were very lively, they moved well between each other, said Roberts.

“The table is close and we have to go into every game and win it. We started well on Saturday.

“The pitch was cutting up a little bit but two good goals from Ferris sealed the deal for us really.

“We are just looking at the results. We have to go out and win because we still have to play Thatcham and we still have to play Bracknell.

“Windsor were a good side. They still have to play Thatcham and Bracknell too, so they could be a bit of a banana skin for them.

“The three points is the main thing, Windsor are a very good side and you can see why they were on such a good run.”

Highworth are three points ahead of second-placed Thatcham but Roberts says he can’t afford to be thinking about their top-of-the-table clash, which is still to be rearranged after being postponed last month.

“If we are going to win the league, we have to beat the sides who are competing with us,” he added.

“Ideally, we wouldn’t have to play them, but we still have Windsor as well at home. We don’t like to look down the line at games.”

Elsewhere in the top flight, Fairford Town saw their clash with Bracknell Town was called off following a pitch inspection.

It was a similar story for Shrivenham in the Hellenic League Division One West, as they had their game postponed for the second time in a row, having been due to face Shortwood United Reserves.