SWINDON Shock player-coach David Colclough was reassured by the resolute performance put on by his side as they claimed their first league win of the season over Essex Blades.

After defeat on the opening day of the National League Division Three South campaign a week earlier, Colclough was delighted his troops were able to make the most of home advantage, and win 73-65 at New College.

Spencer Wells, who recovered from a back injury to play at the weekend, led the scoring with 18 points while Dan Cole and Antonio Wilburn both registered 13.

After falling behind by 10 points in the opening period, Shock did well to bounce back and overturned the deficit by winning the third quarter 16-6.

“We were more than 10 behind in the first quarter because we had a problem with the speed of their team,” he said.

“They got to the basket quickly and passed it very well when they got through the first line of our defence.

“They hurt us early, then we made some adjustments and crawled back into it, before we took over the game.

“I spoke to some people after the game and they said our defence was in sync and that we moved well together.

During last season’s title winning campaign, Shock tallied an average of 108 points per game in National League Division Three South West.

While this season, the club have failed to score over 80 in any of their fixtures across all competitions.

Despite the lack in scoring, Colclough doesn’t see that as a cause for concern as he praised his players for managing the game effectively.

“The nature of the game in particular meant the scores were lower, we wanted to slow the game down,” he added.

“They were a really fast paced team, they moved really quickly and my thought process was to slow it down and make it our pace.

“I think that is what we did, when you did that you make it a more defensive minded game.

“We didn’t allow them to run, they tried to run late on with a press, but we were up by about 20 so it wasn’t too bad.”

Swindon Shock Development didn’t quite have the same level of success, they were beaten 84-48 by the Devizes Wizards in their second game of the season.