SWINDON were unable to halt Cardiff & Met A’s march towards the Championship title in the Verde Recreo Hockey League as the hosts fell to a 3-0 defeat at the weekend.

The first half started well for Swindon as they created a number of opportunities and earned short corners but were unable to take advantage.

Cardiff took the lead when they were awarded a free hit, with the ball crashed into the circle and flicked into the net at the second attempt despite a good initial save from Alan Gough.

Swindon remained composed and limited Cardiff to half-chances. They had a superb opportunity to equalise when Henry Cheney bust down the right before squaring to Tom Wickens but he was unable to beat the diving goalkeeper.

The home side continued to battle well in the second half and they created further opportunities that went begging as Julius Cousins continued to provide an outlet down the right in the absence of captain Tom Goldsmith.

Despite creating good chances and largely stopping the Cardiff attacks, Swindon fell further behind as a well-worked short corner from the visitors made it 2-0 with 15 minutes to go.

Cardiff then wrapped the result up with a good counter-attacking move in the closing stages.

Swindon A had a busy weekend with two games in Central 2, although they only collected one point via a draw.

Their first outing was a 4-3 defeat at North Wilts A, with Tim Taylor, Tom Sewell and Matthew Wilcox the men on target.

The following day, Swindon claimed a 3-3 draw at Keynsham after goals from Callum Bird, Edward Dunmore and Thomas Gillingham.

There was also a weekend double for Swindon B in East Central 2, with the first of those yielding a 5-1 victory at home to Team Bath Buccs G.

Andy Binie and Alastair Young got two goals each, with Swindon’s lot completed by an own goal.

They did not fare so well the following day, though, going down 2-1 at Chippenham C.

SWINDON Ladies were without a game in Premier Division 2A of the West Club Women’s Hockey League at the weekend, while Swindon A suffered a 4-1 defeat at Team Bath Buccs B in Wessex Division 1.