Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Youth court to sentence teenage rapist
11:12am Tuesday 17th December 2013 in News
A JUDGE has decided a teenager who raped one girl and sexually assaulted two others should be sentenced by magistrates in the youth court.
The 15-year-old boy, from Royal Wootton Bassett, had been accused of raping two girls in spring.
But he pleaded guilty to one of the allegations of rape and admitted a lesser charge of sexual assault against the other victim.
The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, asked for a further matter of sexual activity with a child to be taken into consideration when he is sentenced.
After hearing representation from his solicitor and prosecutors Judge Douglas Field decided the case would be better dealt with at the magistrates’ court.
Chris Oswald, defending, urged him to remit the case to the youth court, saying its maximum sentence of two years’ custody was adequate.
He said the matter was committed to the crown court by the district judge when there were two counts of rape against different girls.
Now his client had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity he was entitled to a one third discount on his sentence.
Mr Oswald pointed out that a case should be in the lower court unless the sentence would be “considerably more than two years”.
Hannah Squire, prosecuting, asked the judge to keep the case in the crown court for sentence.
Judge Field Field released the teenager, who will be 16 by the time he is sentenced on Tuesday, January 14, on conditional bail until then.
The boy was told he must not contact the victims, live and sleep at his home, and observe a nighttime curfew.
He admitted sexually assaulting one 15-year-old girl in March and raping another between Thursday, April 4 and Sunday April 7.
The defendant was also told he must register as a sex offender. The total period he would be required to be registered would be determined by the sentence imposed.
Comments are closed on this article.