Swindon Advertiser80 more jobs to go as Swindon printing firm shuts (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

80 more jobs to go as Swindon printing firm shuts

Swindon Advertiser: AGI printers in Kembrey Park, which is to shut with the loss of about 80 jobs AGI printers in Kembrey Park, which is to shut with the loss of about 80 jobs

ABOUT 80 more jobs are set to go in Swindon with the closure of a media printers that produces covers and booklets for CDs and DVDs.

The 75 to 80 staff at AGI Shorewood, based at Kembrey Park Industrial Estate, have received letters from the firm detailing the redundancy package and giving notice of the intent to close by the end of February.

The factory operation, which formerly ran under the name AGI World, is thought to have started to supply the record firm EMI when it had a presence in Swindon.

In recent years it has made the booklets and covers for CDs by the likes of boyband JLS, and pop divas Rihanna and Leona Lewis.

The firm also prints commercial literature.

One employee, who has been involved with the firm for 15 years, said the move would hit about 50 production workers and about 25 admin workers.

And he said he feared that they would not be able to get another job in printing as it was a dying industry.

He said: “People are pretty stunned. With the print industry they’re not going to go back into print.

“A lot of the younger people there, they have young families, I think they’re going to find it quite hard to get back into work.

“Certainly with this industry, I think it’s going to be quite a tough time for them. HMV are gone, Blockbusters are gone.

“We weren’t actually one of their suppliers but being involved in the music and DVD industry it shows the state of the trade really because they were our market.”

The man, who did not want to be named, said before Christmas the firm announced a 30-day public consultation on proposals to close the factory.

That finished this week after being extended due to the snow.

He said he was shocked when the closure was announced as he thought the factory would stay in operation until the unit lease ends in 2015.

He said the firm had another factory, in Slough, in Berkshire, which focused on printing specialist packaging, such as display boxes for DVDs in shops. And he understood that was staying open as it was generating more income.

He said: “Year-on-year sales revenue has been reduced just because fewer people are calling on print.

“It’s just been a dwindling market. And Slough do a lot of the packaging, which is still a profitable area.”

Jim D’Avila, the regional co-ordinating officer for the union Unite, said: “I think it shows how serious the state of the economy is.

“There was news about the Government’s borrowing and that could be threatening the triple A status.

“It just seems since Honda announced that bombshell of 800 jobs going, job losses seem to be in a freefall in Swindon. We’re seeing jobs every day going to the wall, including at the council.”

The company were not available for comment at the time of going to press.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:57am Wed 23 Jan 13

Dan_Swindon says...

Wow, i worked there for a month on temp last year, going to get hard with agencies.
Wow, i worked there for a month on temp last year, going to get hard with agencies. Dan_Swindon
  • Score: 0

12:41pm Wed 23 Jan 13

A.Baron-Cohen says...

I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.
I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years. A.Baron-Cohen
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Empty Car Park says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.
Unemployment?
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.[/p][/quote]Unemployment? Empty Car Park
  • Score: 0

12:51pm Wed 23 Jan 13

A.Baron-Cohen says...

Empty Car Park wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.
Unemployment?
well you would think it would be unemployment....but I read the article again, and the headline is:
"Record-breaking 30million Britons now in work: Cheer for Cameron as number hits highest level for more than 40 YEARS"
I let you be the judge of that.
[quote][p][bold]Empty Car Park[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.[/p][/quote]Unemployment?[/p][/quote]well you would think it would be unemployment....but I read the article again, and the headline is: "Record-breaking 30million Britons now in work: Cheer for Cameron as number hits highest level for more than 40 YEARS" I let you be the judge of that. A.Baron-Cohen
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Even Angrier Monkey says...

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Empty Car Park wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.
Unemployment?
well you would think it would be unemployment....but I read the article again, and the headline is: "Record-breakin
g 30million Britons now in work: Cheer for Cameron as number hits highest level for more than 40 YEARS" I let you be the judge of that.
There are more people in the country than ever before. Its a true but meaningless statistic.
[quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Empty Car Park[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.[/p][/quote]Unemployment?[/p][/quote]well you would think it would be unemployment....but I read the article again, and the headline is: "Record-breakin g 30million Britons now in work: Cheer for Cameron as number hits highest level for more than 40 YEARS" I let you be the judge of that.[/p][/quote]There are more people in the country than ever before. Its a true but meaningless statistic. Even Angrier Monkey
  • Score: 0

1:17pm Wed 23 Jan 13

house on the hill says...

Very good point EAM
Very good point EAM house on the hill
  • Score: 0

1:23pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Tim Newroman says...

Empty Car Park wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.
Unemployment?

LONDON - 23/01/13 09:48

The number of unemployed people fell to 2.49 million from 2.51 million in the three months to the end of October, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said in a statement.

That was the tenth drop in a row and marked the lowest level since the three months to May 2011.

The jobless rate meanwhile fell to 7.7 percent from 7.8 percent and the employment total hit a new record high at 29.68 million people, the ONS said.

Source: AFP


While it's true that many of these jobs are part-time, low paid jobs, the facts remain as above.

The ONS are not prone to lying.

A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be.
[quote][p][bold]Empty Car Park[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.[/p][/quote]Unemployment?[/p][/quote][quote] LONDON - 23/01/13 09:48 [p] The number of unemployed people fell to 2.49 million from 2.51 million in the three months to the end of October, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said in a statement. [p] That was the tenth drop in a row and marked the lowest level since the three months to May 2011. [p] The jobless rate meanwhile fell to 7.7 percent from 7.8 percent and the employment total hit a new record high at 29.68 million people, the ONS said. [p] Source: AFP [/quote] [p] While it's true that many of these jobs are part-time, low paid jobs, the facts remain as above. [p] The ONS are not prone to lying. [p] A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be. Tim Newroman
  • Score: 0

1:55pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Always Grumpy says...

Even Angrier Monkey wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
Empty Car Park wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.
Unemployment?
well you would think it would be unemployment....but I read the article again, and the headline is: "Record-breakin

g 30million Britons now in work: Cheer for Cameron as number hits highest level for more than 40 YEARS" I let you be the judge of that.
There are more people in the country than ever before. Its a true but meaningless statistic.
Most of the extra ones being immigrants.
[quote][p][bold]Even Angrier Monkey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Empty Car Park[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.[/p][/quote]Unemployment?[/p][/quote]well you would think it would be unemployment....but I read the article again, and the headline is: "Record-breakin g 30million Britons now in work: Cheer for Cameron as number hits highest level for more than 40 YEARS" I let you be the judge of that.[/p][/quote]There are more people in the country than ever before. Its a true but meaningless statistic.[/p][/quote]Most of the extra ones being immigrants. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Wed 23 Jan 13

A.Baron-Cohen says...

Tim Newroman wrote:
Empty Car Park wrote:
A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.
Unemployment?

LONDON - 23/01/13 09:48

The number of unemployed people fell to 2.49 million from 2.51 million in the three months to the end of October, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said in a statement.

That was the tenth drop in a row and marked the lowest level since the three months to May 2011.

The jobless rate meanwhile fell to 7.7 percent from 7.8 percent and the employment total hit a new record high at 29.68 million people, the ONS said.

Source: AFP


While it's true that many of these jobs are part-time, low paid jobs, the facts remain as above.

The ONS are not prone to lying.

A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be.
Hatred, that is a very strong word, I disagree with some of their policies but I do not hate. I leave that to others.....
At a time when so many are losing their jobs and with the Economy struggling to deliver any Growth, I find it difficult to understand how unemployment could be falling!?!
That would make a few Economists scratch their heads.....
[quote][p][bold]Tim Newroman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Empty Car Park[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]A.Baron-Cohen[/bold] wrote: I have read today in the news that employment is at its highest in 40 years.[/p][/quote]Unemployment?[/p][/quote][quote] LONDON - 23/01/13 09:48 [p] The number of unemployed people fell to 2.49 million from 2.51 million in the three months to the end of October, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said in a statement. [p] That was the tenth drop in a row and marked the lowest level since the three months to May 2011. [p] The jobless rate meanwhile fell to 7.7 percent from 7.8 percent and the employment total hit a new record high at 29.68 million people, the ONS said. [p] Source: AFP [/quote] [p] While it's true that many of these jobs are part-time, low paid jobs, the facts remain as above. [p] The ONS are not prone to lying. [p] A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be.[/p][/quote]Hatred, that is a very strong word, I disagree with some of their policies but I do not hate. I leave that to others..... At a time when so many are losing their jobs and with the Economy struggling to deliver any Growth, I find it difficult to understand how unemployment could be falling!?! That would make a few Economists scratch their heads..... A.Baron-Cohen
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Tim Newroman says...

It's because so many people are now in part-time jobs, mainly, and also due to a rise in people becoming self-employed and starting small businesses with their redundancy money.

It also seems as though a lot of unemployed immigrants are returning home.
It's because so many people are now in part-time jobs, mainly, and also due to a rise in people becoming self-employed and starting small businesses with their redundancy money. [p] It also seems as though a lot of unemployed immigrants are returning home. Tim Newroman
  • Score: 0

8:18pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Empty Car Park says...

I wrote

unemployment?


Meaning did you meant to write "unemployment"

Tim Newroman / I 2 Could B wrote

A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be."


Amazing how you invent such a scenario and spew so much pointless venom from one word.

Is "pathological" your latest buzzword?
I wrote [quote] unemployment? [/quote] Meaning did you meant to write "unemployment" Tim Newroman / I 2 Could B wrote [quote] A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be." [/quote] Amazing how you invent such a scenario and spew so much pointless venom from one word. Is "pathological" your latest buzzword? Empty Car Park
  • Score: 0

8:21pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Antonio Lorusso says...

Industry worker:

And he said he feared that they would not be able to get another job in printing as it was a dying industry.

Union rep:

“I think it shows how serious the state of the economy is."

Notice the difference in nuanced understanding of the situation. Yes, the economy is in a quite bad state, but a lot of the firms that are going out of business are ones where they are either being out-competed or made less relevant by new technologies, such as print vs electronic, high street vs internet.

(Although I admit this could be simply from what the adver choose to quote from the various people)
Industry worker: And he said he feared that they would not be able to get another job in printing as it was a dying industry. Union rep: “I think it shows how serious the state of the economy is." Notice the difference in nuanced understanding of the situation. Yes, the economy is in a quite bad state, but a lot of the firms that are going out of business are ones where they are either being out-competed or made less relevant by new technologies, such as print vs electronic, high street vs internet. (Although I admit this could be simply from what the adver choose to quote from the various people) Antonio Lorusso
  • Score: 0

7:52am Thu 24 Jan 13

RichardR1 says...

The ONS numbers are percentages therefore it matters not how many are in the workforce.

The growth in the number of part-time jobs was in fact less than the growth in full time jobs according to the survey.

It is not brilliant news but better than it could have been.

Meanwhile it seems the contention by local business experts and our MP's that Swindon was bucking the trend is patently untrue.

With the prospect of a conservative 250,000 new immigrants from Romania and Bulgaria next January things can only get worse, not just for Swindon but England as a whole.

Even Conservative Eric Pickles has acknowledged that public services will be put under even greater strain.
The ONS numbers are percentages therefore it matters not how many are in the workforce. The growth in the number of part-time jobs was in fact less than the growth in full time jobs according to the survey. It is not brilliant news but better than it could have been. Meanwhile it seems the contention by local business experts and our MP's that Swindon was bucking the trend is patently untrue. With the prospect of a conservative 250,000 new immigrants from Romania and Bulgaria next January things can only get worse, not just for Swindon but England as a whole. Even Conservative Eric Pickles has acknowledged that public services will be put under even greater strain. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

9:20am Thu 24 Jan 13

Tim Newroman says...

Empty Car Park wrote:
I wrote

unemployment?


Meaning did you meant to write "unemployment"

Tim Newroman / I 2 Could B wrote

A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be."


Amazing how you invent such a scenario and spew so much pointless venom from one word.

Is "pathological" your latest buzzword?
Of course he didn't meant to write 'unemployment' - that was the WHOLE POINT of his post.

You can try and backtrack all you like, but it's clear from your usual snidey posting style that you were trying to be 'witty' in that same usual style.

I use the term 'pathological' in relation to your posting style because that's precisely what it is. Your well documented hatred of the Tory council and, well, anything that isn't Labour (or Kareen Boyd) trips you up every time.

It's not a made up buzzword - we'll leave that to you and your 'Plastic Westminster'.
[quote][p][bold]Empty Car Park[/bold] wrote: I wrote [quote] unemployment? [/quote] Meaning did you meant to write "unemployment" Tim Newroman / I 2 Could B wrote [quote] A pathological hatred of the Tories does not mean the figures are fictional, much as you'd like them to be." [/quote] Amazing how you invent such a scenario and spew so much pointless venom from one word. Is "pathological" your latest buzzword?[/p][/quote]Of course he didn't meant to write 'unemployment' - that was the WHOLE POINT of his post. [p] You can try and backtrack all you like, but it's clear from your usual snidey posting style that you were trying to be 'witty' in that same usual style. [p] I use the term 'pathological' in relation to your posting style because that's precisely what it is. Your well documented hatred of the Tory council and, well, anything that isn't Labour (or Kareen Boyd) trips you up every time. [p] It's not a made up buzzword - we'll leave that to you and your 'Plastic Westminster'. Tim Newroman
  • Score: 0

9:56am Thu 24 Jan 13

Empty Car Park says...

Tim (I 2 Could B) Newroman
You can try and backtrack all you like, but it's clear from your usual snidey posting style that you were trying to be 'witty' in that same usual style.

I use the term 'pathological' in relation to your posting style because that's precisely what it is. Your well documented hatred of the Tory council and, well, anything that isn't Labour (or Kareen Boyd) trips you up every time.

all that from ONE WORD.......!?

Here's two words

GROW UP
Tim (I 2 Could B) Newroman [quote] You can try and backtrack all you like, but it's clear from your usual snidey posting style that you were trying to be 'witty' in that same usual style. I use the term 'pathological' in relation to your posting style because that's precisely what it is. Your well documented hatred of the Tory council and, well, anything that isn't Labour (or Kareen Boyd) trips you up every time. [/quote] all that from ONE WORD.......!? Here's two words GROW UP Empty Car Park
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Tim Newroman says...

Empty Car Park wrote:
Tim (I 2 Could B) Newroman
You can try and backtrack all you like, but it's clear from your usual snidey posting style that you were trying to be 'witty' in that same usual style.

I use the term 'pathological' in relation to your posting style because that's precisely what it is. Your well documented hatred of the Tory council and, well, anything that isn't Labour (or Kareen Boyd) trips you up every time.

all that from ONE WORD.......!?

Here's two words

GROW UP
No, I Too / Empty Car Park / I'm Important / Pompey Bound / ad nauseum... not 'all that from one word', at all.

You're happy to try and dish it out, but really don't seem to like it when people pull you up on your mistakes and snide posts.

It was blatantly obvious what your original post was meant to mean and convey. Either that, or you're more unaware of current affairs than I thought.

Still, at least you're not calling everyone 'Olive' anymore.
[quote][p][bold]Empty Car Park[/bold] wrote: Tim (I 2 Could B) Newroman [quote] You can try and backtrack all you like, but it's clear from your usual snidey posting style that you were trying to be 'witty' in that same usual style. I use the term 'pathological' in relation to your posting style because that's precisely what it is. Your well documented hatred of the Tory council and, well, anything that isn't Labour (or Kareen Boyd) trips you up every time. [/quote] all that from ONE WORD.......!? Here's two words GROW UP[/p][/quote]No, I Too / Empty Car Park / I'm Important / Pompey Bound / ad nauseum... not 'all that from one word', at all. [p] You're happy to try and dish it out, but really don't seem to like it when people pull you up on your mistakes and snide posts. [p] It was blatantly obvious what your original post was meant to mean and convey. Either that, or you're more unaware of current affairs than I thought. [p] Still, at least you're not calling everyone 'Olive' anymore. Tim Newroman
  • Score: 0

11:55pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Empty Car Park says...

Grow Up
Grow Up Empty Car Park
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree