Concern over Tadpole Lane closure

Swindon Advertiser: Oakhurst Residents’ Association chairman Paul Exell is concerned about lorries going through Oakhurst Way to Tadpole Farm Oakhurst Residents’ Association chairman Paul Exell is concerned about lorries going through Oakhurst Way to Tadpole Farm

CONCERNS have been raised after it was announced that a busy road in North Swindon could be shut for several weeks.

Traffic calming measures are to be introduced to Tadpole Lane in preparation of the construction of a new primary school in the area next year.

While these works are taking place some of the road will need to be closed.

The section of road expected to be closed from the roundabout at Salzgitter Drive up to the Oakhurst Way junction.

Although the application has been submitted to close the road for seven months it is only expected to be closed for between four and six weeks while work is being carried out.

In preparation for an increase in Heavy Goods Vehicles while the work is taking place, a reduced speed limit is being introduced, with extra measures to enforce this restriction.

A Swindon Council spokes-man said: “Tadpole Lane is being closed to allow special traffic calming and speed restriction measures to be introduced along the road.

“The planning permission for the Tadpole Farm development stated that this work needed to be carried out ahead of construction work on the site.

“A 30mph speed limit will be extended to cover the whole of Tadpole Lane and chicanes will be introduced to reinforce the speed restrictions.

“The work will also include installing rumble strips and widening the footway along Lady Lane.”

Due to the shortage of school places, a primary school is due to be built before an access road to the site can be constructed. The site will then be used to build 1,700 houses.

As a result, Tadpole Lane will be used by builders, which is why the work needs to be carried out.

The alternative route suggested in the application is to head down Salzgitter Drive, along Thamesdown Drive and up Oakhurst Way.

Residents yesterday took to social networks to express their frustration at the lack of information provided and that no mention of the works was previously made.

Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures.

“Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.”

The order will come into effect from January 8 until July 8, but it is expected all the works will be completed by March next year.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:35am Sat 21 Dec 13

Robh says...

Unless they have side stepped s/13/1567 then the application is still pending so no construction traffic can use this access.
Unless they have side stepped s/13/1567 then the application is still pending so no construction traffic can use this access. Robh

6:53am Sat 21 Dec 13

Robh says...

Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures.

“Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.”

Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face.
Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures. “Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.” Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face. Robh

9:07am Sat 21 Dec 13

Ian13 says...

How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion?
How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion? Ian13

9:12am Sat 21 Dec 13

anotherimigrant says...

Ian13 wrote:
How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion?
Cant do that.

it's to sensible.
[quote][p][bold]Ian13[/bold] wrote: How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion?[/p][/quote]Cant do that. it's to sensible. anotherimigrant

11:00am Sat 21 Dec 13

Robh says...

Mr Exell please look back at your emails for the end of November. You also replied so it was received.
Mr Exell please look back at your emails for the end of November. You also replied so it was received. Robh

4:16pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Agent A says...

So, when we only had two special schools (Upland & Brimble Hill) on Tadpole lane, 50mph was OK. In fact they stuck a 50mph sign on the school sign until the head teacher at Uplands made a stink about it in 2010 - http://www.swindonad
vertiser.co.uk/news/
6242868.School_head_
attacks_new_speed_li
mit_sign/ . The schools even raised the issue three years before that - http://www.swindonad
vertiser.co.uk/news/
1814471._Make_this_r
oad_safer__/ . Now a new primary school is being built for non disabled children, we get 30mph and traffic calming measures.
So, when we only had two special schools (Upland & Brimble Hill) on Tadpole lane, 50mph was OK. In fact they stuck a 50mph sign on the school sign until the head teacher at Uplands made a stink about it in 2010 - http://www.swindonad vertiser.co.uk/news/ 6242868.School_head_ attacks_new_speed_li mit_sign/ . The schools even raised the issue three years before that - http://www.swindonad vertiser.co.uk/news/ 1814471._Make_this_r oad_safer__/ . Now a new primary school is being built for non disabled children, we get 30mph and traffic calming measures. Agent A

4:58pm Sat 21 Dec 13

moonshine50 says...

We don't want anymore construction leave our immediate countryside as it is!!!!!!!!!
We don't want anymore construction leave our immediate countryside as it is!!!!!!!!! moonshine50

6:31pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Flatmandan says...

The guy needs to get a life.....
The guy needs to get a life..... Flatmandan

9:55am Sun 22 Dec 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

anotherimigrant wrote:
Ian13 wrote:
How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion?
Cant do that.

it's to sensible.
Lady lane would need a large amount of work done to make it suitable. The time it would take to make it suitable the other work would be done.

Also why should Swindon Council pay to improve and reopen a road, when its Wiltshire council that is closing the other road.
[quote][p][bold]anotherimigrant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ian13[/bold] wrote: How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion?[/p][/quote]Cant do that. it's to sensible.[/p][/quote]Lady lane would need a large amount of work done to make it suitable. The time it would take to make it suitable the other work would be done. Also why should Swindon Council pay to improve and reopen a road, when its Wiltshire council that is closing the other road. LordAshOfTheBrake

9:55am Sun 22 Dec 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

anotherimigrant wrote:
Ian13 wrote:
How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion?
Cant do that.

it's to sensible.
Lady lane would need a large amount of work done to make it suitable. The time it would take to make it suitable the other work would be done.

Also why should Swindon Council pay to improve and reopen a road, when its Wiltshire council that is closing the other road.
[quote][p][bold]anotherimigrant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ian13[/bold] wrote: How about reopening Lady Lane as a diversion?[/p][/quote]Cant do that. it's to sensible.[/p][/quote]Lady lane would need a large amount of work done to make it suitable. The time it would take to make it suitable the other work would be done. Also why should Swindon Council pay to improve and reopen a road, when its Wiltshire council that is closing the other road. LordAshOfTheBrake

9:57am Sun 22 Dec 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

Robh wrote:
Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures.

“Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.”

Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face.
The rest of the site will have a new road built to access it. Tadpole lane was only supposed to be given short term access for construction traffic to build the school.
[quote][p][bold]Robh[/bold] wrote: Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures. “Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.” Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face.[/p][/quote]The rest of the site will have a new road built to access it. Tadpole lane was only supposed to be given short term access for construction traffic to build the school. LordAshOfTheBrake

11:20am Sun 22 Dec 13

Robh says...

LordAshOfTheBrake wrote:
Robh wrote:
Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures.

“Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.”

Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face.
The rest of the site will have a new road built to access it. Tadpole lane was only supposed to be given short term access for construction traffic to build the school.
Read the application. It states the new school and phase 1 of the development.
[quote][p][bold]LordAshOfTheBrake[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robh[/bold] wrote: Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures. “Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.” Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face.[/p][/quote]The rest of the site will have a new road built to access it. Tadpole lane was only supposed to be given short term access for construction traffic to build the school.[/p][/quote]Read the application. It states the new school and phase 1 of the development. Robh

8:45am Mon 23 Dec 13

LordAshOfTheBrake says...

Robh wrote:
LordAshOfTheBrake wrote:
Robh wrote:
Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures.

“Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.”

Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face.
The rest of the site will have a new road built to access it. Tadpole lane was only supposed to be given short term access for construction traffic to build the school.
Read the application. It states the new school and phase 1 of the development.
I guess you didn't under stand the term "supposed to be" in my comment, since that is what the local councillors stated they had agreed.
[quote][p][bold]Robh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LordAshOfTheBrake[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robh[/bold] wrote: Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures. “Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.” Why not ask me for more details? Mr Exell was only interested in stopping construction traffic using Oakhurst Way but the new documents only talk about the school construction traffic not using Oakhurst Way. What about the rest of the site? Mr Exell might end up with egg on his face.[/p][/quote]The rest of the site will have a new road built to access it. Tadpole lane was only supposed to be given short term access for construction traffic to build the school.[/p][/quote]Read the application. It states the new school and phase 1 of the development.[/p][/quote]I guess you didn't under stand the term "supposed to be" in my comment, since that is what the local councillors stated they had agreed. LordAshOfTheBrake

9:50am Mon 23 Dec 13

Robh says...

Unfortunately the councillors do not look at the detail they accept what is said rather than what is written. We were all assured at the Northern Orbital library in the summer that construction traffic will only use the Chapel Farm entrance for the main construction traffic. In the revised details using Tadpole Lane it refers to the school and phase 1 which is several hundred houses. It also states they will endeavour to complete the CF access by the autumn 2014 this obviously is not a commitment.

This whole planning procedure has been a series of lies and deceit. Not necessarily by councillors but I cannot believe that some did not know how it was panning out.
Unfortunately the councillors do not look at the detail they accept what is said rather than what is written. We were all assured at the Northern Orbital library in the summer that construction traffic will only use the Chapel Farm entrance for the main construction traffic. In the revised details using Tadpole Lane it refers to the school and phase 1 which is several hundred houses. It also states they will endeavour to complete the CF access by the autumn 2014 this obviously is not a commitment. This whole planning procedure has been a series of lies and deceit. Not necessarily by councillors but I cannot believe that some did not know how it was panning out. Robh

5:45pm Tue 14 Jan 14

tucker81 says...

Traffic mental on Thamesdown drive today, great. Good work. Six months of hell.
Traffic mental on Thamesdown drive today, great. Good work. Six months of hell. tucker81

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree