Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Concern over Tadpole Lane closure
CONCERNS have been raised after it was announced that a busy road in North Swindon could be shut for several weeks.
Traffic calming measures are to be introduced to Tadpole Lane in preparation of the construction of a new primary school in the area next year.
While these works are taking place some of the road will need to be closed.
The section of road expected to be closed from the roundabout at Salzgitter Drive up to the Oakhurst Way junction.
Although the application has been submitted to close the road for seven months it is only expected to be closed for between four and six weeks while work is being carried out.
In preparation for an increase in Heavy Goods Vehicles while the work is taking place, a reduced speed limit is being introduced, with extra measures to enforce this restriction.
A Swindon Council spokes-man said: “Tadpole Lane is being closed to allow special traffic calming and speed restriction measures to be introduced along the road.
“The planning permission for the Tadpole Farm development stated that this work needed to be carried out ahead of construction work on the site.
“A 30mph speed limit will be extended to cover the whole of Tadpole Lane and chicanes will be introduced to reinforce the speed restrictions.
“The work will also include installing rumble strips and widening the footway along Lady Lane.”
Due to the shortage of school places, a primary school is due to be built before an access road to the site can be constructed. The site will then be used to build 1,700 houses.
As a result, Tadpole Lane will be used by builders, which is why the work needs to be carried out.
The alternative route suggested in the application is to head down Salzgitter Drive, along Thamesdown Drive and up Oakhurst Way.
Residents yesterday took to social networks to express their frustration at the lack of information provided and that no mention of the works was previously made.
Paul Exell, the chairman of the Oakhurst Residents Association said: “I can confirm that we have not been told about these closures.
“Unfortunately, I am unable to make any further comment as I do not know the details.”
The order will come into effect from January 8 until July 8, but it is expected all the works will be completed by March next year.
Comments are closed on this article.