Swindon AdvertiserTeenage cyclist fighting for life after accident (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Teenage cyclist fighting for life after accident

Swindon Advertiser: The accident scene in Faringdon Road The accident scene in Faringdon Road

A TEENAGE cyclist is fighting for his life at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol tonight after coming off his bike in Faringdon Road shortly before 4pm.

The 19-year-old is in a critical condition with serious head injuries, following a collision with a six-wheel lorry at the crossroads with Farnsby Street and Emlyn Square.

The vehicle belongs to Nagel Langdons Ltd, a chilled and frozen food distributor. A silver Toyota people carrier was also stopped at the scene, to the rear of the lorry and bicycle, with the driver an eye witness to the incident.

The young male was being treated for an extended period of time in the centre of the road, with no signs of movement during his treatment.

Emergency services were called to the scene at 3.44pm, with three rapid response ambulances, one ambulance, three police vans and one police car surrounding the crash site.

Wiltshire Air Ambulance made an attempt to land near the scene in Faringdon Street Garden, before aborting, with too many people in the park.

“The male is alive, but all we can say at this stage is an accident has occurred involving a bicycle and a lorry,” said PC Pete Williamson, of the serious collision investigation team at Wiltshire Police, who was at the scene last night.

“We are speaking to witnesses now, but it is early stages.”

Traffic was moving last night, with access to Farnsby Street from the westbound side of Faringdon Road only. Access was open to Emlyn Square from both directions of Faringdon Road.

Wiltshire Police has put out an appeal for witnesses to the incident. Anyone who has information on the collision should call 101.

 

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:28pm Fri 10 Jan 14

fredd0g says...

Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH.
Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH. fredd0g
  • Score: -12

8:05am Sat 11 Jan 14

Bruce_almighty says...

fredd0g wrote:
Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH.
What is the real truth?
[quote][p][bold]fredd0g[/bold] wrote: Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH.[/p][/quote]What is the real truth? Bruce_almighty
  • Score: 4

9:53am Sat 11 Jan 14

Al Smith says...

Bruce_almighty wrote:
fredd0g wrote:
Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH.
What is the real truth?
That someone appears to have suddenly registered an account here to comment on this incident? So perhaps feels very strongly for some reason?

Perhaps people are unaware of the laws relating to sub judice that papers operate (this may end-up in court so the Adver will be very careful)? The article just states that a Nagel Langdons Ltd truck was involved in an accident with a cyclist. It makes no allegations as to how the accident happened, no allegations are made against either the driver of the truck, the company or the cyclist.

So what could be wrong with this article?
Accident happened shortly before 4pm - looks fine (ok depends on your definition of shortly before but no big deal really)
Cyclist was a male teenager - looks fine
He had head injuries - sounds highly probable
A Nagel Langdons Ltd lorry was involved - they wouldn't have named the company if it wasn't
A Silver Toyota was also stopped - if they were an eye witness they'd have been stopped to get potential evidence

Looks totally aboveboard to me. If fredd0g knows more about this incident perhaps he/she should speak to the police?
[quote][p][bold]Bruce_almighty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fredd0g[/bold] wrote: Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH.[/p][/quote]What is the real truth?[/p][/quote]That someone appears to have suddenly registered an account here to comment on this incident? So perhaps feels very strongly for some reason? Perhaps people are unaware of the laws relating to sub judice that papers operate (this may end-up in court so the Adver will be very careful)? The article just states that a Nagel Langdons Ltd truck was involved in an accident with a cyclist. It makes no allegations as to how the accident happened, no allegations are made against either the driver of the truck, the company or the cyclist. So what could be wrong with this article? Accident happened shortly before 4pm - looks fine (ok depends on your definition of shortly before but no big deal really) Cyclist was a male teenager - looks fine He had head injuries - sounds highly probable A Nagel Langdons Ltd lorry was involved - they wouldn't have named the company if it wasn't A Silver Toyota was also stopped - if they were an eye witness they'd have been stopped to get potential evidence Looks totally aboveboard to me. If fredd0g knows more about this incident perhaps he/she should speak to the police? Al Smith
  • Score: 10

11:19am Sat 11 Jan 14

Swindon Gal says...

Really hope the lad is ok. He looked in a bad way when we went past the accident not long after it had happened.
Really hope the lad is ok. He looked in a bad way when we went past the accident not long after it had happened. Swindon Gal
  • Score: 6

12:05pm Sat 11 Jan 14

fredd0g says...

Al Smith wrote:
Bruce_almighty wrote:
fredd0g wrote:
Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH.
What is the real truth?
That someone appears to have suddenly registered an account here to comment on this incident? So perhaps feels very strongly for some reason?

Perhaps people are unaware of the laws relating to sub judice that papers operate (this may end-up in court so the Adver will be very careful)? The article just states that a Nagel Langdons Ltd truck was involved in an accident with a cyclist. It makes no allegations as to how the accident happened, no allegations are made against either the driver of the truck, the company or the cyclist.

So what could be wrong with this article?
Accident happened shortly before 4pm - looks fine (ok depends on your definition of shortly before but no big deal really)
Cyclist was a male teenager - looks fine
He had head injuries - sounds highly probable
A Nagel Langdons Ltd lorry was involved - they wouldn't have named the company if it wasn't
A Silver Toyota was also stopped - if they were an eye witness they'd have been stopped to get potential evidence

Looks totally aboveboard to me. If fredd0g knows more about this incident perhaps he/she should speak to the police?
I will not make any further comments until I have given a full statement to the police. As being the driver of said Toyota which is actually a Mazda. I witnessed the whole terrible incident first hand and gave first aid at the scene.
[quote][p][bold]Al Smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bruce_almighty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fredd0g[/bold] wrote: Sack your parasitic reporter for a very misleading report. WHAT HAS BEEN REPORTED IS NOT THE REAL TRUTH.[/p][/quote]What is the real truth?[/p][/quote]That someone appears to have suddenly registered an account here to comment on this incident? So perhaps feels very strongly for some reason? Perhaps people are unaware of the laws relating to sub judice that papers operate (this may end-up in court so the Adver will be very careful)? The article just states that a Nagel Langdons Ltd truck was involved in an accident with a cyclist. It makes no allegations as to how the accident happened, no allegations are made against either the driver of the truck, the company or the cyclist. So what could be wrong with this article? Accident happened shortly before 4pm - looks fine (ok depends on your definition of shortly before but no big deal really) Cyclist was a male teenager - looks fine He had head injuries - sounds highly probable A Nagel Langdons Ltd lorry was involved - they wouldn't have named the company if it wasn't A Silver Toyota was also stopped - if they were an eye witness they'd have been stopped to get potential evidence Looks totally aboveboard to me. If fredd0g knows more about this incident perhaps he/she should speak to the police?[/p][/quote]I will not make any further comments until I have given a full statement to the police. As being the driver of said Toyota which is actually a Mazda. I witnessed the whole terrible incident first hand and gave first aid at the scene. fredd0g
  • Score: 7

1:10pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Al Smith says...

fredd0g - in that case perhaps you had better not really say anything (on a this sort of comments forum) until its been determined if there's going to be trial.
fredd0g - in that case perhaps you had better not really say anything (on a this sort of comments forum) until its been determined if there's going to be trial. Al Smith
  • Score: 5

2:15pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Tyran66 says...

Fredd0g Why have you not already given a statement? These things are typically dealt with immediately to prevent accounts becoming confused / degraded?
Fredd0g Why have you not already given a statement? These things are typically dealt with immediately to prevent accounts becoming confused / degraded? Tyran66
  • Score: 5

2:16pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Tyran66 says...

P.S And it goes without saying, hope he/she pulls through ok.
P.S And it goes without saying, hope he/she pulls through ok. Tyran66
  • Score: 5

2:25pm Sat 11 Jan 14

LordCharles says...

Why didn't the police on the ground clear a landing area for the helicopter? It could have saved precious time for this unlucky man.
Why didn't the police on the ground clear a landing area for the helicopter? It could have saved precious time for this unlucky man. LordCharles
  • Score: 4

6:21pm Sat 11 Jan 14

jax66 says...

I hope the person who commented here who said they saw everything and helped with first aid has some help and support as these things can be very traumatic for everyone witnesses included.
I hope the person who commented here who said they saw everything and helped with first aid has some help and support as these things can be very traumatic for everyone witnesses included. jax66
  • Score: 3

8:09pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Davey Gravey says...

Hope the lad recovers.
Regarding the article, the only minor error appears to be the make of car. Whoopee do. Big deal.
Hope the lad recovers. Regarding the article, the only minor error appears to be the make of car. Whoopee do. Big deal. Davey Gravey
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree