Swindon AdvertiserDo you know what your child drinks? (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

Do you know what your child drinks?

Swindon Advertiser: Inspector Antony Ducker of North Swindon police Inspector Antony Ducker of North Swindon police

POLICE are warning parents to be aware of what their children are doing following incidents of under-age drinkers behaving anti-socially at house parties.

Officers were called to a house party in Taw Hill on Saturday which spilled into the street, disturbing neighbours. When police arrived they found teenagers, some as young as 12, drunk on high-strength spirits.

The North Swindon team has gone to a number of parties recently where alcohol is being drunk by youngsters.

Further investigation has shown some parents have supplied their children with spirits, although most are shocked to find out there is alcohol and no supervision at the party.

As result, on arrival police have found the children being violently sick and passing out.

There have been calls on the North Swindon Police Facebook page for people to be prosecuted.

It is an offence to supply someone under the age of 18 with alcohol. However, Wiltshire Police Inspector Antony Ducker said education is the preferred route to start with.

He said: “We have not been inundated with incidents of anti-social behaviour, but it is timely to provide a warning, as we approach the summer season.

“As far as parents are concerned I think they have to be balanced and sensible.

“If a parent is buying a hard spirit for their child to take to a party that is something we would advise against. “We want to educate parents and put in more support at first.

“A couple of people have commented on the Facebook post about blaming the sellers – we have a programme of operations that run hand-in-hand with our licensing team and Swindon Council’s to combat this.

“We carry out test purchases and educate sellers about underage sales and we have these planned in the north sector until the end of the year.

“If someone is found to be breaking the law then we will prosecute.”

Inspector Ducker also said that while uncontrolled parties were one thing, youngsters under the influence of alcohol could lead to far more serious incidents with long-term consequences.

“I would remind parents and young people of the dangers about alcohol misuse and anyone, particularly young people, can become very vulnerable if they are under the influence,” he said.

He said he advised young people to be wary about gettting into a car with someone they did not know or did not expect to get a lift with at the beginning of the night.

For more information on the dangers of alcohol visit www.drinkaware.co.uk.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:52am Tue 6 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Whats the point???
There is no comment section available on the story about a 14 year old being robbed at knife point by people with a string of previous convictions.
Yes anti social behavior is a problem but if they know they can rob, steal and carry a knife drinking is a non event in comparison.
Whats the point??? There is no comment section available on the story about a 14 year old being robbed at knife point by people with a string of previous convictions. Yes anti social behavior is a problem but if they know they can rob, steal and carry a knife drinking is a non event in comparison. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 11

8:14am Tue 6 May 14

EastleazeRed says...

This sort of behaviour was going on when I was a kid , its part of growing up . I was never without a bottle of woodpecker when I was 14 and I haven't got a drink problem .
This sort of behaviour was going on when I was a kid , its part of growing up . I was never without a bottle of woodpecker when I was 14 and I haven't got a drink problem . EastleazeRed
  • Score: 1

8:42am Tue 6 May 14

GiulianoGrazioli says...

the same house that they are referring to consistently have parties and keep all the neighbours awake regularly!!! its about time something was done.... they wont listen - irresponsible parenting...would be nice to see actual action taken rather than words...
the same house that they are referring to consistently have parties and keep all the neighbours awake regularly!!! its about time something was done.... they wont listen - irresponsible parenting...would be nice to see actual action taken rather than words... GiulianoGrazioli
  • Score: 12

10:40am Tue 6 May 14

PJC says...

'It is an offence to supply someone under the age of 18 with alcohol. ' This line needs some clarification.
'If you’re under 18, it is against the law:

for someone to sell you alcohol
to buy or try to buy alcohol
for an adult to buy or try to buy alcohol for you
to drink alcohol in licensed premises (eg a pub or restaurant)
However if you’re 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, you can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal.

If you’re 16 or under, you may be able to go to a pub (or premises primarily used to sell alcohol) if you’re accompanied by an adult. However, this isn’t always the case. It can also depend on:

the specific conditions for that premises
the licensable activities taking place there
It’s illegal to give alcohol to children under 5.'
'It is an offence to supply someone under the age of 18 with alcohol. ' This line needs some clarification. 'If you’re under 18, it is against the law: for someone to sell you alcohol to buy or try to buy alcohol for an adult to buy or try to buy alcohol for you to drink alcohol in licensed premises (eg a pub or restaurant) However if you’re 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, you can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal. If you’re 16 or under, you may be able to go to a pub (or premises primarily used to sell alcohol) if you’re accompanied by an adult. However, this isn’t always the case. It can also depend on: the specific conditions for that premises the licensable activities taking place there It’s illegal to give alcohol to children under 5.' PJC
  • Score: 4

11:18am Tue 6 May 14

house on the hill says...

Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings!
Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings! house on the hill
  • Score: 1

11:34am Tue 6 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

house on the hill wrote:
Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings!
That is an interesting line of thought, what would you suggest happens to the child in this case?
Surely fines would make more sense?

Having a few isnt really the problem the consequence of getting smashed is the problem. From what I have witnessed in the town that is not limited to under age drinkers.
(Endless posts??? there are 7 in total?)
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings![/p][/quote]That is an interesting line of thought, what would you suggest happens to the child in this case? Surely fines would make more sense? Having a few isnt really the problem the consequence of getting smashed is the problem. From what I have witnessed in the town that is not limited to under age drinkers. (Endless posts??? there are 7 in total?) Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 0

12:51pm Tue 6 May 14

ChannelX says...

While the police are wasting their time on kids having a couple of drinks, the judges are busy letting violent repeat criminals walk free from court so that they can go an rob children at knifepoint:

http://www.swindonad
vertiser.co.uk/news/
11192573.Teenage_mug
gers_avoid_prison/

Can't help thinking the Criminal Justice System has got its priorities just a *tad* skewed.

What would you rather your child did: drank a few cans of cider or got stabbed for their mobile phone?
While the police are wasting their time on kids having a couple of drinks, the judges are busy letting violent repeat criminals walk free from court so that they can go an rob children at knifepoint: http://www.swindonad vertiser.co.uk/news/ 11192573.Teenage_mug gers_avoid_prison/ Can't help thinking the Criminal Justice System has got its priorities just a *tad* skewed. What would you rather your child did: drank a few cans of cider or got stabbed for their mobile phone? ChannelX
  • Score: 2

1:10pm Tue 6 May 14

house on the hill says...

Badgersgetabadname wrote:
house on the hill wrote:
Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings!
That is an interesting line of thought, what would you suggest happens to the child in this case?
Surely fines would make more sense?

Having a few isnt really the problem the consequence of getting smashed is the problem. From what I have witnessed in the town that is not limited to under age drinkers.
(Endless posts??? there are 7 in total?)
in my humble experience fines are a joke and are set at such a small level that it is no punishment or deterant when the parents plead poverty. but yes that was my point, what do you do, you cant lock up the parents as what happens to the kids and any other form of punishment is a joke to them?
Personally I have never seen the appeal of pouring endless amounts of mind altering liquid drugs down your neck and behaving like an a55 but clearly loads do.
[quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings![/p][/quote]That is an interesting line of thought, what would you suggest happens to the child in this case? Surely fines would make more sense? Having a few isnt really the problem the consequence of getting smashed is the problem. From what I have witnessed in the town that is not limited to under age drinkers. (Endless posts??? there are 7 in total?)[/p][/quote]in my humble experience fines are a joke and are set at such a small level that it is no punishment or deterant when the parents plead poverty. but yes that was my point, what do you do, you cant lock up the parents as what happens to the kids and any other form of punishment is a joke to them? Personally I have never seen the appeal of pouring endless amounts of mind altering liquid drugs down your neck and behaving like an a55 but clearly loads do. house on the hill
  • Score: 1

2:12pm Tue 6 May 14

AngelaMadanaat says...

my Aunty Olivia just got a very nice Chevrolet Express Van by working part time from a home pc... pop over to this site ....................
. www.works7.com
my Aunty Olivia just got a very nice Chevrolet Express Van by working part time from a home pc... pop over to this site .................... . www.works7.com AngelaMadanaat
  • Score: -7

2:12pm Tue 6 May 14

AngelaMadanaat says...

my Aunty Olivia just got a very nice Chevrolet Express Van by working part time from a home pc... pop over to this site ....................
. www.works7.com
my Aunty Olivia just got a very nice Chevrolet Express Van by working part time from a home pc... pop over to this site .................... . www.works7.com AngelaMadanaat
  • Score: -7

4:36pm Tue 6 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

house on the hill wrote:
Badgersgetabadname wrote:
house on the hill wrote:
Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings!
That is an interesting line of thought, what would you suggest happens to the child in this case?
Surely fines would make more sense?

Having a few isnt really the problem the consequence of getting smashed is the problem. From what I have witnessed in the town that is not limited to under age drinkers.
(Endless posts??? there are 7 in total?)
in my humble experience fines are a joke and are set at such a small level that it is no punishment or deterant when the parents plead poverty. but yes that was my point, what do you do, you cant lock up the parents as what happens to the kids and any other form of punishment is a joke to them?
Personally I have never seen the appeal of pouring endless amounts of mind altering liquid drugs down your neck and behaving like an a55 but clearly loads do.
Oh yes completely agree the mindless drunk has no thought to age.
Fines are normally a joke as you say and usually end up in court costing us the tax payers more to process.

Hit them where it hurts, fines taken direct from benefits and if necessary tokens issued for food banks?
Something needs to change.
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: Too many double standards on here as usual. endless posts about how soft the law is and judges are and then its all part of growing up so what's the problem! Need to start locking up parents who dont control their kids but of course that will never happen as they can't be parted from their little darlings![/p][/quote]That is an interesting line of thought, what would you suggest happens to the child in this case? Surely fines would make more sense? Having a few isnt really the problem the consequence of getting smashed is the problem. From what I have witnessed in the town that is not limited to under age drinkers. (Endless posts??? there are 7 in total?)[/p][/quote]in my humble experience fines are a joke and are set at such a small level that it is no punishment or deterant when the parents plead poverty. but yes that was my point, what do you do, you cant lock up the parents as what happens to the kids and any other form of punishment is a joke to them? Personally I have never seen the appeal of pouring endless amounts of mind altering liquid drugs down your neck and behaving like an a55 but clearly loads do.[/p][/quote]Oh yes completely agree the mindless drunk has no thought to age. Fines are normally a joke as you say and usually end up in court costing us the tax payers more to process. Hit them where it hurts, fines taken direct from benefits and if necessary tokens issued for food banks? Something needs to change. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 0

5:21pm Tue 6 May 14

Jayne35 says...

Because of course, the children of working parents don't drink right!! Nonsense, most teenagers try it. Let's not make this thread about benefits claimants...again.
Because of course, the children of working parents don't drink right!! Nonsense, most teenagers try it. Let's not make this thread about benefits claimants...again. Jayne35
  • Score: -3

9:02am Wed 7 May 14

Lovinglife#happy says...

As I can't comment anywhere else I will do it here, the case of the robbery at knifepoint took over a year to go to court because it kept getting thrown out because more serious cases came up, not because Lewis Todd only pleaded guilty on the day of trial. Two boys wandering around thinking their gangsters with a knife really how much more serious does it need to be!
As I can't comment anywhere else I will do it here, the case of the robbery at knifepoint took over a year to go to court because it kept getting thrown out because more serious cases came up, not because Lewis Todd only pleaded guilty on the day of trial. Two boys wandering around thinking their gangsters with a knife really how much more serious does it need to be! Lovinglife#happy
  • Score: 0

9:03am Wed 7 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Jayne35 wrote:
Because of course, the children of working parents don't drink right!! Nonsense, most teenagers try it. Let's not make this thread about benefits claimants...again.
Not about claims at all, well not from my point of view.
I suggested fines and this was countered by saying how can you fine those on benefits.
My suggestion was to still provide basics but to remove the freedom of cash.

Almost all kids drink the majority of adults drink its those that get drunk and cause problems for others as a result of it that seems to be the problem and why does it always seem to be the same people?

Anti social drinking has nothing to do with benefits claimants.
[quote][p][bold]Jayne35[/bold] wrote: Because of course, the children of working parents don't drink right!! Nonsense, most teenagers try it. Let's not make this thread about benefits claimants...again.[/p][/quote]Not about claims at all, well not from my point of view. I suggested fines and this was countered by saying how can you fine those on benefits. My suggestion was to still provide basics but to remove the freedom of cash. Almost all kids drink the majority of adults drink its those that get drunk and cause problems for others as a result of it that seems to be the problem and why does it always seem to be the same people? Anti social drinking has nothing to do with benefits claimants. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 0

9:06am Wed 7 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Jayne35 wrote:
Because of course, the children of working parents don't drink right!! Nonsense, most teenagers try it. Let's not make this thread about benefits claimants...again.
Of course working parents can be directly fined
[quote][p][bold]Jayne35[/bold] wrote: Because of course, the children of working parents don't drink right!! Nonsense, most teenagers try it. Let's not make this thread about benefits claimants...again.[/p][/quote]Of course working parents can be directly fined Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 0

9:24am Thu 8 May 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

ChannelX wrote:
While the police are wasting their time on kids having a couple of drinks, the judges are busy letting violent repeat criminals walk free from court so that they can go an rob children at knifepoint:

http://www.swindonad

vertiser.co.uk/news/

11192573.Teenage_mug

gers_avoid_prison/

Can't help thinking the Criminal Justice System has got its priorities just a *tad* skewed.

What would you rather your child did: drank a few cans of cider or got stabbed for their mobile phone?
But that isnt what the story was about was it,,,,Children as young as 12 drunk on spirits is not a couple of cans of cider. Once again you have seen what you want to?

You could go for 5 conversations that you have used thoughts idiotic comments then when asked to elaborate you have no knowledge of the comment being made or your account has been cloned (just this week,,clap, clap, clap....
Yaaaawn as ever you see a debate and break it down to two choices left or right but this is brilliant even for you..."What would you rater you child did: drank a few cans of cider or got stabbed for their mobile phone" .....There is no evidence in any of the articles to suggest it was a few cans of anything and the other child was not stabbed.
Is it just your tiny mind that is only capable of seeing only the two sides you present.
I will once again explain for you. That is not debate that is you spouting your opinion as fact then being upset when others dont agree (people that arent just your multiple accounts). Debate would need alternative solutions etc rather than just blame.

Kids drinking to excess and being anti social is wrong adults doing the same is also wrong but what is the cause and what can be done.
There now follows a personal response rather than anything to do with topic.......go
[quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: While the police are wasting their time on kids having a couple of drinks, the judges are busy letting violent repeat criminals walk free from court so that they can go an rob children at knifepoint: http://www.swindonad vertiser.co.uk/news/ 11192573.Teenage_mug gers_avoid_prison/ Can't help thinking the Criminal Justice System has got its priorities just a *tad* skewed. What would you rather your child did: drank a few cans of cider or got stabbed for their mobile phone?[/p][/quote]But that isnt what the story was about was it,,,,Children as young as 12 drunk on spirits is not a couple of cans of cider. Once again you have seen what you want to? You could go for 5 conversations that you have used thoughts idiotic comments then when asked to elaborate you have no knowledge of the comment being made or your account has been cloned (just this week,,clap, clap, clap.... Yaaaawn as ever you see a debate and break it down to two choices left or right but this is brilliant even for you..."What would you rater you child did: drank a few cans of cider or got stabbed for their mobile phone" .....There is no evidence in any of the articles to suggest it was a few cans of anything and the other child was not stabbed. Is it just your tiny mind that is only capable of seeing only the two sides you present. I will once again explain for you. That is not debate that is you spouting your opinion as fact then being upset when others dont agree (people that arent just your multiple accounts). Debate would need alternative solutions etc rather than just blame. Kids drinking to excess and being anti social is wrong adults doing the same is also wrong but what is the cause and what can be done. There now follows a personal response rather than anything to do with topic.......go Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree