A SWINDON family has received £95,000 in compensation from British Rail following the death of a former labourer who was exposed to asbestos more than 50 years ago.
Edward Dutton, of Devizes Road, died in 2011 aged 77, two years after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.
The family’s solicitor, Brigitte Chandler, a leading industrial disease lawyer and partner with Swindon law firm Charles Lucas & Marshall, who has represented hundreds of railway workers over the last 30 years, said that although Mr Dutton never worked directly with asbestos, it was present throughout the buildings he was required to work in.
“Even though the Swindon works closed in 1986, former workers are still developing symptoms of asbestos exposure now,” said Brigitte.
“Anybody who has worked in an environment where asbestos is present, no matter how long ago, and who is experiencing breathing problems or discomfort should seek a medical opinion.”
Mr Dutton worked for British Rail for 16 months between 1960 and 1961. He initially worked as a labourer and then became a bricklayer’s assistant.
Throughout the Swindon railway works he would have been exposed to asbestos dust which was present on boilers, used for lagging heating pipes and was widespread throughout the saw mills and coach-building workshops.
Swindon and South West Asbestos Group is a regional charity which provides support groups and a free advice service to people suffering from asbestos disease and their families.
For further details contact Swindon and South West Asbestos Group, telephone 01793 532995, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.asbestosgroup.co.uk.