VOTERS in North Swindon could be faced with a re-run of the 2015 General Election when they head to the polls in just eight weeks.
Theresa May stunned the political world this morning and announced that she is to go to the country on June 8, performing a u-turn on her previous claims that now was not the right time for another vote.
Her decision has caught many by surprise and with Swindon's two Conservative MPs going into the election with healthy majorities, Labour will be hoping to get candidates in place and begin campaigning as soon as possible.
In South Swindon, former MP and twice-defeated candidate Anne Snelgrove has ruled herself out of the race.
So far the only person to confirm their candidacy, apart from the incumbent Tory Robert Buckland, is the Green Party's Talis Kimberley-Fairbourn.
But in North Swindon, Labour's candidate in 2015 has refused to rule himself out of a return to the campaign trail.
Mark Dempsey lost out to Justin Tomlinson last time around by 26,295 votes to 14,509 - a margin of 11,786.
Currently the Labour councillor for Penhill and Upper Stratton on Swindon Borough Council, Mr Dempsey has said that while the Prime Minister's announcement was a surprise, he feels Labour in Swindon are ready.
“This was a surprise, it’s been a surprise for us all," he said.
“The Labour Party is very well organised locally and ready for this election in Swindon.
“In terms of my own position, it’s an honour to be a candidate and I want a better future for my town, but we’re still awaiting the detail of the process and so we’ll have to wait and see for now.”
In normal circumstances the local party would stage a vote to select their choice from a pool of potential candidates.
But with time being so limited in this case, it is possible that the party's ruling national executive committee may opt for an alternative selection process when it meets later in the week.
For his part, Mr Tomlinson, who was first elected to represent North Swindon in 2010 after 10 years as a borough councillor, appears confident.
He described the decision to call an election as "a decisive move to secure the strong and stable leadership the country needs."
He added: "With strong economic growth and record employment we are best placed to secure the majority to give this country certainty through Brexit and beyond.
"I will be working exceptionally hard to earn the chance to continue representing my fellow local residents, something I have been proud to do since 2010."