Saturday, July 15

1951: With the first week of the Trip holidays at an end, seven Express trains pulled in to Swindon station with the first batch of returning holiday-makers on board.

1951: Swindon Town Football Club lost £1,698 last season it was revealed in the directors' report and statement of accounts. The fall was attributed to the reduction in gate receipts of more than £3,000, a fall of £1,133 in the percentages received from other clubs, and the fact that transfer fees outgoings exceeded receipts by £550.

1961: The new £7,000 extension to the Plessey Sports and Social Club premises in Cricklade Road, Swindon, was officially opened by Mr A E Underwood, the company's regional director. Membership had grown to 2,000.

1961: Mr N R Monk of Lansdown Road, Swindon and Mr C F Lloyd of Cricklade were among the Air Ministry staff helping to build new barracks buildings, married quarters, swimming pools and a club, at Aden, with air conditioning to combat the hot season.

1971: Highworth Rural Council Housing Committee has splashed out by installing 432 new baths in properties in Stratton St Margaret, Blunsdon St Andrew and Ermin Street, following complaints from tenants. One claimed the old bath in his Beechcroft Road home was so narrow that his wife had got stuck in it.

1971: Marlborough Grammar school held its end of term fete at the school and the biggest draw was the staff versus pupils Chariot Race. Teams of four pulled the wooden chariots. Other attractions included a puppet show, art exhibition and a gym display.