Swindon AdvertiserTHE VIC MORGAN COLUMN: Time to find the right owner, and quickly (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

THE VIC MORGAN COLUMN: Time to find the right owner, and quickly

Swindon Advertiser: THE VIC MORGAN COLUMN THE VIC MORGAN COLUMN

OUR club is up for sale. Headlines have spread like wildfire and have varied from the responsible to the ridiculous.

What we know now is that principal owner Andrew Black wants out. That of course is his right, and I think every Town fan will be forever grateful to him for his willingness to stump up the cash and keep STFC alive.

A few weeks ago I wrote that we needed a statement of intent from Mr Black and now we have it.

So where to now?

Clearly the sooner the ownership issue is settled the better.

Over the past few days we’ve seen and heard what mis-information can do.

It leads to people rushing to express their views both rational and at times downright malicious.

I can only speak as a fan with no inside knowledge of the club and its current workings. What I do see is a vibrant and growing concern.

Thanks to Mr Black and his millions, something which is now once again such a part of the community that it persuades dozens of people to leave their fireside on a freezing Friday to make sure a football match goes ahead.

The effort of those volunteers to clear the snow from the pitch cover was sensational.

A local pizza company also profited of course and PDC writes another chapter in Di Canio folklore with his willingness to get his hands dirty for Swindon Town. Terrific.

What we dearly want as supporters is for the going concern to continue to flourish.

We want new owners in place who genuinely want the club to succeed. In the past we've had our fair share of false dawns.

This doesn't appear to be one of them. There appears to be light at the end of what’s been, at times, a very dark tunnel.

What we also desperately crave is stability. To not have to wake to the headlines of last Thursday. Most of us have no chance of buying a football club.

I know though, that we would if we could. All we can ask is that whoever takes over thinks STFC first, last and in the middle.

It’s a great, proud club. Just ask those making the trip to Tranmere why they do it and they'll give you that reason.

We wouldn’t, couldn't follow any other team. Nothing is certain in life or football. If you buy our club do it because you want it to succeed.

Do that and you'll have our total support.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:53am Thu 24 Jan 13

stfclondon says...

"Most of us have no chance of buying a football club"

True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust.
"Most of us have no chance of buying a football club" True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust. stfclondon
  • Score: 0

7:21am Thu 24 Jan 13

robstfc says...

stfclondon wrote:
"Most of us have no chance of buying a football club"

True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust.
And you really think that could have long term sustainability and get the club to where we want it to be? I for one don't think so

We need owners who love football with a few £10's M to spend.... I can only dream....
[quote][p][bold]stfclondon[/bold] wrote: "Most of us have no chance of buying a football club" True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust.[/p][/quote]And you really think that could have long term sustainability and get the club to where we want it to be? I for one don't think so We need owners who love football with a few £10's M to spend.... I can only dream.... robstfc
  • Score: 0

7:22am Thu 24 Jan 13

robstfc says...

Well said Vic, I agree with every word.
Well said Vic, I agree with every word. robstfc
  • Score: 0

9:03am Thu 24 Jan 13

stfclondon says...

robstfc wrote:
stfclondon wrote: "Most of us have no chance of buying a football club" True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust.
And you really think that could have long term sustainability and get the club to where we want it to be? I for one don't think so We need owners who love football with a few £10's M to spend.... I can only dream....
I think it's the only way to guarantee long term sustainability. As someone said recently, fans make a life-long commitment to their club, while owners can be here one minute and gone the next. Sadly I think Swindon fans in general are apathetic when it comes to having a real say in how the club is run.
[quote][p][bold]robstfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stfclondon[/bold] wrote: "Most of us have no chance of buying a football club" True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust.[/p][/quote]And you really think that could have long term sustainability and get the club to where we want it to be? I for one don't think so We need owners who love football with a few £10's M to spend.... I can only dream....[/p][/quote]I think it's the only way to guarantee long term sustainability. As someone said recently, fans make a life-long commitment to their club, while owners can be here one minute and gone the next. Sadly I think Swindon fans in general are apathetic when it comes to having a real say in how the club is run. stfclondon
  • Score: 0

9:24am Thu 24 Jan 13

billbst says...

robstfc wrote:
Well said Vic, I agree with every word.
Certainly reflects how I feel. Thanks Vic.
[quote][p][bold]robstfc[/bold] wrote: Well said Vic, I agree with every word.[/p][/quote]Certainly reflects how I feel. Thanks Vic. billbst
  • Score: 0

11:11am Thu 24 Jan 13

FORZASTFC says...

Good article Vic!
Yes we would so love our new owners to be PASSIONATE about STFC as Paolo & all the lads feel it too?
We could do with that little bit of luck, as we are a hard working and honest club!
Good article Vic! Yes we would so love our new owners to be PASSIONATE about STFC as Paolo & all the lads feel it too? We could do with that little bit of luck, as we are a hard working and honest club! FORZASTFC
  • Score: 0

7:37pm Thu 24 Jan 13

mancrobin says...

stfclondon wrote:
robstfc wrote:
stfclondon wrote: "Most of us have no chance of buying a football club" True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust.
And you really think that could have long term sustainability and get the club to where we want it to be? I for one don't think so We need owners who love football with a few £10's M to spend.... I can only dream....
I think it's the only way to guarantee long term sustainability. As someone said recently, fans make a life-long commitment to their club, while owners can be here one minute and gone the next. Sadly I think Swindon fans in general are apathetic when it comes to having a real say in how the club is run.
Agreed, agreed, agreed!

First off, great article Vic. I note how often the Adver and it's writers get stick on here which IMO are usually unjustified. I've travelled round the country a lot and can assure you the quality, depth and passion displayed by the Adver's journalists is second to none.

I also agree with points made by stfclondon and robstfc. A share ownership by the fans would ensure our voice is heard and set the tone for how the club should be run. Total fan ownership is unlikely and not able to deliver the financial clout necessary, unless of course you are Barcelona and we have been compared (coarison to continue now we can keep our own Lionel Messi).

I like us to consider what Swansea are, a 20 %stake. So come on Town fans, how do you fancy top half of the Prem and appearances at top cup finals?
[quote][p][bold]stfclondon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]robstfc[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stfclondon[/bold] wrote: "Most of us have no chance of buying a football club" True, but we could own a percentage of it through the supporters' trust.[/p][/quote]And you really think that could have long term sustainability and get the club to where we want it to be? I for one don't think so We need owners who love football with a few £10's M to spend.... I can only dream....[/p][/quote]I think it's the only way to guarantee long term sustainability. As someone said recently, fans make a life-long commitment to their club, while owners can be here one minute and gone the next. Sadly I think Swindon fans in general are apathetic when it comes to having a real say in how the club is run.[/p][/quote]Agreed, agreed, agreed! First off, great article Vic. I note how often the Adver and it's writers get stick on here which IMO are usually unjustified. I've travelled round the country a lot and can assure you the quality, depth and passion displayed by the Adver's journalists is second to none. I also agree with points made by stfclondon and robstfc. A share ownership by the fans would ensure our voice is heard and set the tone for how the club should be run. Total fan ownership is unlikely and not able to deliver the financial clout necessary, unless of course you are Barcelona and we have been compared (coarison to continue now we can keep our own Lionel Messi). I like us to consider what Swansea are, a 20 %stake. So come on Town fans, how do you fancy top half of the Prem and appearances at top cup finals? mancrobin
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree