BOSS John Fisher feels his Highworth side would be six points better off in the Hellenic Premier if Witney had survived until the end of the season.

The cash-strapped Oxfordshire club folded last week with Fisher’s relegation-battling troops having already secured three points against them.

The teams were due to meet on Saturday but that fixture was cancelled, leaving Highworth four points off automatic safety and giving Fisher cause for irritation.

“What annoys me is we took three points against them but now they have been deducted,” he said.

“We can’t do much about it. It’s one of those things and we’ve just got to carry on.

“It dropped us down because all the teams around us got battered by them, so we’re the ones that suffer. But those are the rules even if they don’t help us at all.

“Witney weren’t that good and there was a good chance for us to get three points on Saturday, so it was a double whammy.

“Instead of being six points up we’re three points down.”

Highworth have only played three times this year and Fisher is concerned that the lack of match time will impact on fitness levels.

That is a worry he could do without as the Worthians prepare for the visit of league leaders Marlow on Saturday.

“We’re not falling behind with our fixtures, but most teams played on Saturday and at our level fitness levels drop so fast,” said Fisher.

“We proved it against Holyport (Highworth lost 1-0 on February 5 having not played for over three weeks), we were awful for the first 20 minutes but then we got going and got into it.

“The trouble is, when you play the top sides they are too far ahead by the time you get your legs going.

“We’ve got Marlow next and they played on Saturday and are playing midweek as well.”

Rock-bottom Shrivenham had the dubious pleasure of taking on Marlow on Saturday and ultimately found the Southern Leaguers-in-waiting too hot to handle.

Even the promise of manager Mark Stevens that he would wear a onesie for the home clash against Ascot on March 2 if they took a point or better against the Blues, could not inspire his players to success.

Shrivvy were a goal down at half-time following an effort by Chris Ovenden, but after the break Ovenden’s second, Ian Davies and Ray Spence ensured the hosts recorded a 4-0 victory.

The visitors’ misery was increased when debutant Nathan Hawkins, signed just days ago from Cirencester, suffered a broken leg.