SWINDON TOWN: Bury stun managerless Robins

Bury stun managerless Robins

Swindon Town's joint caretaker boss Darren Ward after the final whistle against Bury last night

Swindon Town's James Collins has a shot blocked against Bury last night

First published in Sport by

THIS was the Elephant Man of performances from Swindon Town, without any of the lovable personality.

It was ugly in the extreme, to the extent that those in attendance could have been forgiven for pointing and having a giggle, but ultimately this was no laughing matter. Swindon were octogenarian in their impotency, rudderless beyond belief and lacking all and any of the shape they have so carefully developed over recent months.

With all due respect to Tommy Miller and Darren Ward – both experienced professionals with bundles of knowledge of the game – the “managerless” matchday dynamic is quickly being proven not to work.

That is not a lamentation of the departure of Paolo Di Canio, after all this situation was thrown upon Town, but a call to arms for the new owners of the club. Act fast or at least die trying.

The game was won by Steven Schumacher’s 21st-minute strike, as Bury came with a gameplan, stuck to it and prospered. Swindon were almost unbearable in the first half, improved after the break but didn’t test Trevor Carson in the Shakers’ goal until 15 minutes from the end.

It was instantly forgettable but at the same time dragged up questions no one really wanted to be or thought they would be answering with 12 games of the season remaining.

It took 17 minutes for either side to muster a shot on target and when it came Bury were only centimetres away from taking the lead.

Town dawdled in defence, allowing the visitors to spread play from left to right and when David Worrall found space in the area to cut inside and let fly with his right foot, a scrambling Wes Foderingham was relieved to see the ball fizz past a post.

The hosts’ lethargy was left unpunished on that occasion, but within four minutes their lack of defensive shape was fully exposed as the Shakers edged in front.

Swindon abandoned all rigidity in formation when defending against the counter attack, in a worryingly repeat of the build-up to Will Hayhurst’s goal for Preston on Saturday, and allowed Joe Skarz the space to bomb forward down the left.

Town gave their guests the chance to throw five men forward against three at the back, the Robins were unable to regroup in time and Skarz’s cross was bundled home at the near post by Schumacher.

Mark Carrington lashed over for Bury moments after the restart, and the visitors must have been thanking their lucky charms for arriving in Wiltshire on a night where Town decided to rest their shape, composure, fluency and attacking potential.

It took a shade under half-an-hour for the Robins to have their first shot at goal and the groans of the crowd upon seeing James Collins’ 25-yard volley dribble wide must have been audible most of the way up Victoria Hill.

It never threatened to improve before the break, from a Swindon point of view at least, and the closest Town came were two headers from each central defender – Ward and Aden Flint – which drifted harmlessly over the bar.

To focus too much on Swindon’s poor performance, however, would be to do a disservice to Bury, who turned up at the County Ground well drilled by Kevin Blackwell – one of the men linked with the top job at the Robins – and with a three-man holding midfield which rendered Miller and Alan Navarro totally redundant.

After the break Swindon’s work rate improved but their quality remained lacking. Roberts fired wide and Flint’s meek header were all the hosts had to show for 15 minutes of graft and the caretaker managers tried to change things by swapping Alan Navarro for Nathan Thompson and moving Alan McCormack into the middle of midfield.

Miller’s lobbed ball forward in the 65th minute saw Collins bear down on goal, but the striker could only volley wide with his left foot, and soon Town returned to the monotonous rhythm of missed pass and aimless long ball down the channels.

At the other end Bury rarely threatened in the second half, with Schumacher’s wild volley from range the best the Shakers could muster until Wes Foderingham turned over the midfielder’s rasping late free-kick, while it took until 12 minutes from the end for Carson in the visitors’ goal to be forced into action.

As it was Luke Rooney’s 30-yard free-kick was the first of several saves the away stopper made in the dying moments, as he kept out Flint and Adam Rooney to ensure his clean sheet.

The save from Flint was particularly memorable, as Carson’s reflexes prevented the centre-back from nodding home from close range after Williams’ cross was flicked on by Ward. The stop from Rooney’s 16-yard bicycle kick was more routine but essential nonetheless as the lowly visitors’ 95 traveling fans went home happy.

For Swindon’s support is was a depressing evening. Let’s leave it at that.

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:07am Wed 27 Feb 13

Scott Thunes says...

That was the worst game of football I've ever been to. Hit and hoof, never winning a 50/50 to make any positive impact and were always a very poor second best, certainly in the first half. Long ball does not work for Swindon, you could see in the second half there was an effort to keep the ball on the pitch and pass it.

No point criticising individuals, as we know they CAN play when they want to.
That was the worst game of football I've ever been to. Hit and hoof, never winning a 50/50 to make any positive impact and were always a very poor second best, certainly in the first half. Long ball does not work for Swindon, you could see in the second half there was an effort to keep the ball on the pitch and pass it. No point criticising individuals, as we know they CAN play when they want to. Scott Thunes
  • Score: 0

7:15am Wed 27 Feb 13

Rebel_phish says...

I posted this comment yesterday pre-match.


Really fancy the win for the Town tonight. But we will still have to be on our guard tonight. No sloppy goals given away as in recent games.

Bury haven't won in 12.

Hmmm! dont be too complacent..... before this season Macclesfield hadn't won here at all.



Bury's game-plan worked - we didn't have one.
I posted this comment yesterday pre-match. Really fancy the win for the Town tonight. But we will still have to be on our guard tonight. No sloppy goals given away as in recent games. Bury haven't won in 12. Hmmm! dont be too complacent..... before this season Macclesfield hadn't won here at all. Bury's game-plan worked - we didn't have one. Rebel_phish
  • Score: 0

7:29am Wed 27 Feb 13

Since 1950 says...

The report from Sam says it all really.

You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position.

Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season.

If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2.

That was a rudderless ship last night!
The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night! Since 1950
  • Score: 0

7:45am Wed 27 Feb 13

KojaktheWarg says...

My son couldnt make it due to illness. Lucky him.
Some players were okay yesterday, but some were awful. As a team it was poor until the substitutions.

From the team sheet I was very concerned before we started. Sorry, not a fan of Navarro and I wanted to see the very sharp Nathan T on. He is one of the team that can bring the ball down instead of lobbing back like its an unwanted grenade.

Some of the team looked like they had hangovers and had eaten pizza. Some discipline missing or am I imagining it?

The two Rooneys and Nathan T changed the game but were too late coming on.

Bury were poor and got away with too man cynical fouls and too much shirt pulling. But they won.
My son couldnt make it due to illness. Lucky him. Some players were okay yesterday, but some were awful. As a team it was poor until the substitutions. From the team sheet I was very concerned before we started. Sorry, not a fan of Navarro and I wanted to see the very sharp Nathan T on. He is one of the team that can bring the ball down instead of lobbing back like its an unwanted grenade. Some of the team looked like they had hangovers and had eaten pizza. Some discipline missing or am I imagining it? The two Rooneys and Nathan T changed the game but were too late coming on. Bury were poor and got away with too man cynical fouls and too much shirt pulling. But they won. KojaktheWarg
  • Score: 0

8:00am Wed 27 Feb 13

dazinblack says...

Since 1950 wrote:
The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night!
You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different.
The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know!
Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball?
Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him.
I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough.
Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means.
[quote][p][bold]Since 1950[/bold] wrote: The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night![/p][/quote]You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different. The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know! Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball? Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him. I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough. Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means. dazinblack
  • Score: 0

8:07am Wed 27 Feb 13

Rebel_phish says...

With you on that Kojak, How Bury managed to keep 11 players on the pitch is beyond me.

6 bookings to them, none to us.

I can't defend the towns performance last night, but it was like so many that have come to the CG, 11 men behind the ball and hit on the break. We have been undone too often like that this season.
With you on that Kojak, How Bury managed to keep 11 players on the pitch is beyond me. 6 bookings to them, none to us. I can't defend the towns performance last night, but it was like so many that have come to the CG, 11 men behind the ball and hit on the break. We have been undone too often like that this season. Rebel_phish
  • Score: 0

8:08am Wed 27 Feb 13

peatmoor pirate says...

dazinblack wrote:
Since 1950 wrote:
The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night!
You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different.
The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know!
Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball?
Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him.
I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough.
Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means.
The performance was very poor last night but the boo boys in the crowd were a disgrace; the team need support not vilification. I don't know if they were "Out on the lash" as you suggest but I thought the booing supporters (who started pretty early last night) were a disgrace to our club and not true supporters. As a paying customer then yes you can say what you like; if you are a fan you don't behave that way. Compare the Pompey fans, who have far worse thean we have had to deal with, to some of our fans last night.
I was ashamed to be a Town fan last night, not by the team , but by some of our fans. Do us a favour boo boys, why not go up the A420 to watch your football!
[quote][p][bold]dazinblack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Since 1950[/bold] wrote: The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night![/p][/quote]You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different. The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know! Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball? Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him. I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough. Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means.[/p][/quote]The performance was very poor last night but the boo boys in the crowd were a disgrace; the team need support not vilification. I don't know if they were "Out on the lash" as you suggest but I thought the booing supporters (who started pretty early last night) were a disgrace to our club and not true supporters. As a paying customer then yes you can say what you like; if you are a fan you don't behave that way. Compare the Pompey fans, who have far worse thean we have had to deal with, to some of our fans last night. I was ashamed to be a Town fan last night, not by the team , but by some of our fans. Do us a favour boo boys, why not go up the A420 to watch your football! peatmoor pirate
  • Score: 0

8:27am Wed 27 Feb 13

Psychedelic Syd says...

Catastrophic performance. Hard to find any positives from the match - it was like watching two village teams play. I groaned when I saw Navarro in the team and even more so once the game began and his lack of pace, poor passing and inability to win the ball was so cruelly exposed. He needs dropping ........ preferably from a great height. Should have been subbed after 20 minutes because we were playing with 10 men with him on the pitch.

On a night when the more experienced players should have been setting a composed example, they did exactly the opposite. Macca, Miller and Ward lumped long high balls forward aimlessly. Perhaps Baldrick had been put in charge of tactics but Bury didn't fall for the cunning plan. It wasn't until Nathan Thompson and Luke Rooney came on that anyone in the side showed some composure. They were about the only players that came out of the match with any credit. Get Louis Thompson into midfield, at least he puts himself about and plays it on the ground. Our midfield was clueless.

How Macca was MoM is beyond me and caused great hilarity in my part of the DR stand. He was a liablity against Preston and again last night he was repeatedly pulled out of position. He cannot play at right back, Nathan is superior in every department, going forward, reading the game, pace, tackling and composure on the ball.

William looks a shadow of the player he was but why on earth did they leave Collins up field in the second half when defending Bury corners and pull Williams back into our box? Collins has the speed of thought and action of a carthorse, at least Williams has pace even if his shooting is all over the place at the moment.

Raffa looked too lightweight again last night though better than against Preston. Roberts had a reasonable game but his lack of pace and left-footedness severely reduces his impact. Flint followed the big boot/ head tennis example of Miller/Macca/Ward. Jay put in a lot of effort and at least tried to play a few balls aimed at team mates. Wes had little to do but his save from the free kick at the end was superb.

Other results went our way but if we continue like this we aren't going to be at the races. Thank goodness we have enough points not to have to worry about relegation because on this display we looked like a relegation side. I feel sorry for the team because they look lost and directionless - heroes to zeroes in one short week. Let's hope they can rediscover their tactical and organisational awareness quickly because the Mr Hyde team is back with us and PdC is no longer there to give him a d4mn good whacking and restore Dr Jekyll.

Apologies for negativity, just feel so down after the last 2 matches and the awful football being played.
Catastrophic performance. Hard to find any positives from the match - it was like watching two village teams play. I groaned when I saw Navarro in the team and even more so once the game began and his lack of pace, poor passing and inability to win the ball was so cruelly exposed. He needs dropping ........ preferably from a great height. Should have been subbed after 20 minutes because we were playing with 10 men with him on the pitch. On a night when the more experienced players should have been setting a composed example, they did exactly the opposite. Macca, Miller and Ward lumped long high balls forward aimlessly. Perhaps Baldrick had been put in charge of tactics but Bury didn't fall for the cunning plan. It wasn't until Nathan Thompson and Luke Rooney came on that anyone in the side showed some composure. They were about the only players that came out of the match with any credit. Get Louis Thompson into midfield, at least he puts himself about and plays it on the ground. Our midfield was clueless. How Macca was MoM is beyond me and caused great hilarity in my part of the DR stand. He was a liablity against Preston and again last night he was repeatedly pulled out of position. He cannot play at right back, Nathan is superior in every department, going forward, reading the game, pace, tackling and composure on the ball. William looks a shadow of the player he was but why on earth did they leave Collins up field in the second half when defending Bury corners and pull Williams back into our box? Collins has the speed of thought and action of a carthorse, at least Williams has pace even if his shooting is all over the place at the moment. Raffa looked too lightweight again last night though better than against Preston. Roberts had a reasonable game but his lack of pace and left-footedness severely reduces his impact. Flint followed the big boot/ head tennis example of Miller/Macca/Ward. Jay put in a lot of effort and at least tried to play a few balls aimed at team mates. Wes had little to do but his save from the free kick at the end was superb. Other results went our way but if we continue like this we aren't going to be at the races. Thank goodness we have enough points not to have to worry about relegation because on this display we looked like a relegation side. I feel sorry for the team because they look lost and directionless - heroes to zeroes in one short week. Let's hope they can rediscover their tactical and organisational awareness quickly because the Mr Hyde team is back with us and PdC is no longer there to give him a d4mn good whacking and restore Dr Jekyll. Apologies for negativity, just feel so down after the last 2 matches and the awful football being played. Psychedelic Syd
  • Score: 0

8:30am Wed 27 Feb 13

dazinblack says...

peatmoor pirate wrote:
dazinblack wrote:
Since 1950 wrote: The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night!
You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different. The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know! Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball? Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him. I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough. Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means.
The performance was very poor last night but the boo boys in the crowd were a disgrace; the team need support not vilification. I don't know if they were "Out on the lash" as you suggest but I thought the booing supporters (who started pretty early last night) were a disgrace to our club and not true supporters. As a paying customer then yes you can say what you like; if you are a fan you don't behave that way. Compare the Pompey fans, who have far worse thean we have had to deal with, to some of our fans last night. I was ashamed to be a Town fan last night, not by the team , but by some of our fans. Do us a favour boo boys, why not go up the A420 to watch your football!
Totally agree with you on the boo boy front, I would never boo the team. I was alluding more to the fact that the fans will groan with disdain and moan rather than boo.
Rumours were rife at the weekend that some players were out on the lash. I agree that they should be allowed to let off steam once in a while but not when you have a game in 3 days time. I think if the boo boys went up the A420 they would be all booed out after 2 games!!
[quote][p][bold]peatmoor pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dazinblack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Since 1950[/bold] wrote: The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night![/p][/quote]You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different. The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know! Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball? Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him. I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough. Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means.[/p][/quote]The performance was very poor last night but the boo boys in the crowd were a disgrace; the team need support not vilification. I don't know if they were "Out on the lash" as you suggest but I thought the booing supporters (who started pretty early last night) were a disgrace to our club and not true supporters. As a paying customer then yes you can say what you like; if you are a fan you don't behave that way. Compare the Pompey fans, who have far worse thean we have had to deal with, to some of our fans last night. I was ashamed to be a Town fan last night, not by the team , but by some of our fans. Do us a favour boo boys, why not go up the A420 to watch your football![/p][/quote]Totally agree with you on the boo boy front, I would never boo the team. I was alluding more to the fact that the fans will groan with disdain and moan rather than boo. Rumours were rife at the weekend that some players were out on the lash. I agree that they should be allowed to let off steam once in a while but not when you have a game in 3 days time. I think if the boo boys went up the A420 they would be all booed out after 2 games!! dazinblack
  • Score: 0

8:31am Wed 27 Feb 13

Wonder Strike says...

It was truely awful.
It was truely awful. Wonder Strike
  • Score: 0

8:33am Wed 27 Feb 13

dazinblack says...

Good post Syd
Good post Syd dazinblack
  • Score: 0

8:37am Wed 27 Feb 13

peatmoor pirate says...

dazinblack wrote:
peatmoor pirate wrote:
dazinblack wrote:
Since 1950 wrote: The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night!
You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different. The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know! Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball? Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him. I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough. Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means.
The performance was very poor last night but the boo boys in the crowd were a disgrace; the team need support not vilification. I don't know if they were "Out on the lash" as you suggest but I thought the booing supporters (who started pretty early last night) were a disgrace to our club and not true supporters. As a paying customer then yes you can say what you like; if you are a fan you don't behave that way. Compare the Pompey fans, who have far worse thean we have had to deal with, to some of our fans last night. I was ashamed to be a Town fan last night, not by the team , but by some of our fans. Do us a favour boo boys, why not go up the A420 to watch your football!
Totally agree with you on the boo boy front, I would never boo the team. I was alluding more to the fact that the fans will groan with disdain and moan rather than boo.
Rumours were rife at the weekend that some players were out on the lash. I agree that they should be allowed to let off steam once in a while but not when you have a game in 3 days time. I think if the boo boys went up the A420 they would be all booed out after 2 games!!
Think you are right Dazinblack about 2 games at the Kassan wearing anyone out lol. My comments about the boo boys were general by the way, no taimed at you; re the performance I do agree it was awful and the inabiliity to change tactics when it wasn't working was worrying. Cheers
[quote][p][bold]dazinblack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]peatmoor pirate[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dazinblack[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Since 1950[/bold] wrote: The report from Sam says it all really. You can't blame the squad for that last night. They didn't want to be in this position. You can't blame Ward and Miller. They didn't ask to be in this position. Something has to be done and done quickly. I don't mean done to save our chance of Promotion. That's gone. Who are we going to beat playing like that? I mean something has to be done in the next 12 games to save NEXT season. If we don't do anything then we will finish up in the same boat as we did in the Wilson eara. Within touching distance of the Championship only to flounder and sink into L2. That was a rudderless ship last night![/p][/quote]You CAN blame the squad for that performance it was shocking!! Perhaps if they hadnt gone on the lash Saturday night and thought they could just turn up and win the game things might have been different. The players have been fortunate this season so far not to have the fans on their back but we are a fickle bunch and if the performance is lacking we will let them know! Why did it take them so long to work out that we cant play hoof ball? Why did Collins persist in the dramatic falling over when the ref wasnt buying it? True he was being fouled but perhaps an elbow into the defenders ribs would make him think twice about pushing him. I still believe we have a chance of promotion if 74 points are enough. Simon Ferry was sorely missed last night and Navarro is not match fit by any means.[/p][/quote]The performance was very poor last night but the boo boys in the crowd were a disgrace; the team need support not vilification. I don't know if they were "Out on the lash" as you suggest but I thought the booing supporters (who started pretty early last night) were a disgrace to our club and not true supporters. As a paying customer then yes you can say what you like; if you are a fan you don't behave that way. Compare the Pompey fans, who have far worse thean we have had to deal with, to some of our fans last night. I was ashamed to be a Town fan last night, not by the team , but by some of our fans. Do us a favour boo boys, why not go up the A420 to watch your football![/p][/quote]Totally agree with you on the boo boy front, I would never boo the team. I was alluding more to the fact that the fans will groan with disdain and moan rather than boo. Rumours were rife at the weekend that some players were out on the lash. I agree that they should be allowed to let off steam once in a while but not when you have a game in 3 days time. I think if the boo boys went up the A420 they would be all booed out after 2 games!![/p][/quote]Think you are right Dazinblack about 2 games at the Kassan wearing anyone out lol. My comments about the boo boys were general by the way, no taimed at you; re the performance I do agree it was awful and the inabiliity to change tactics when it wasn't working was worrying. Cheers peatmoor pirate
  • Score: 0

8:40am Wed 27 Feb 13

FORZASTFC says...

Can someone please tell me what benefit do we have by playing Navarro?
An unfit midfielder coming back from another serious knee injury, when we could easily have played McCormack there with Thomson at RB?????????
Not blaming just one guy here but watching last night, every ball that fell into space was one buy them, I can't recall seeing one of our lads winning a second ball?
I really do hope this is not a hopeless slide down the table, as we deserve to be where we are (apart from the last couple of games) the lads have worked their socks off this season!
C'mon boys lets get the PASSION & HUNGER BACK!
Can someone please tell me what benefit do we have by playing Navarro? An unfit midfielder coming back from another serious knee injury, when we could easily have played McCormack there with Thomson at RB????????? Not blaming just one guy here but watching last night, every ball that fell into space was one buy them, I can't recall seeing one of our lads winning a second ball? I really do hope this is not a hopeless slide down the table, as we deserve to be where we are (apart from the last couple of games) the lads have worked their socks off this season! C'mon boys lets get the PASSION & HUNGER BACK! FORZASTFC
  • Score: 0

8:54am Wed 27 Feb 13

stfcknowitall says...

Worst game ive seen in all my 26 years of watching town. We may be managerless but thats no excuse for what drival we saw last night.

I was embarressed to be there last night. It looked like a half drunk pub team playing foot tennis.

It doesn't take a manager to tell our players to pass to thier own team mates, keep possesion or keep thier shape. Our players are still professionals and last night was not only anything but professional but a complete and utter embarressment.

Automatic promotion is definately gone but to keep play-off hopes alive Jed Mccrory and co HAVE to get in an experienced and Dynamic manager before the Coventry game on saturday
Worst game ive seen in all my 26 years of watching town. We may be managerless but thats no excuse for what drival we saw last night. I was embarressed to be there last night. It looked like a half drunk pub team playing foot tennis. It doesn't take a manager to tell our players to pass to thier own team mates, keep possesion or keep thier shape. Our players are still professionals and last night was not only anything but professional but a complete and utter embarressment. Automatic promotion is definately gone but to keep play-off hopes alive Jed Mccrory and co HAVE to get in an experienced and Dynamic manager before the Coventry game on saturday stfcknowitall
  • Score: 0

9:04am Wed 27 Feb 13

Rebel_phish says...

Next four matches

Coventry
Walsall
Brentford
Yeovil

Away form is better than home, so 9 points please.
Next four matches Coventry Walsall Brentford Yeovil Away form is better than home, so 9 points please. Rebel_phish
  • Score: 0

9:06am Wed 27 Feb 13

sagadude says...

Calm down.

This always happens at this time of the year. Hartlepool, Bury and in the other divisions the lower clubs are fighting for their lives.

Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Gillingham, Port Vale are all slipping up against lower sides.

Does not look for saturday though, Cov are one of the best teams in this division.

Please don't go on about the Paolo this Paolo that!. The idiot has gone and it would have not made a difference last night. We need the three players and a NEW manager to get things going again.
Calm down. This always happens at this time of the year. Hartlepool, Bury and in the other divisions the lower clubs are fighting for their lives. Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Gillingham, Port Vale are all slipping up against lower sides. Does not look for saturday though, Cov are one of the best teams in this division. Please don't go on about the Paolo this Paolo that!. The idiot has gone and it would have not made a difference last night. We need the three players and a NEW manager to get things going again. sagadude
  • Score: 0

9:14am Wed 27 Feb 13

International Robin2 says...

Bring back Di Canio!


Without any disrespect to any of the current interim management team, it is without question that Paolo Di Canio achieved a great deal in his time at the club.

Regardless of recent events, comments and actions, by signing this petition you are joining your voice to echo out a simple single message.

We want to see Paolo Di Canio officially offered a return to the role of Manager of Swindon Town FC.

We want to see Paolo Di Canio's backroom staff offered a return to their previous roles within Swindon Town FC.

We want to see and hear comments and evidence, that the newly established board have exhausted all avenues to bring Paolo Di Canio back to the County Ground.

With Paolo Di Canio and his team back in charge, with their work ethic and enthusiasm... We can build Swindon Town into a stable, sustainable Championship club. This is the best chance we've had in an awful long time to reach the Championship - Please don't let it slip away!

Sign the petition http://www.ipetition

s.com/petition/bring

paoloback/
140-odd signatures so far!
Bring back Di Canio! Without any disrespect to any of the current interim management team, it is without question that Paolo Di Canio achieved a great deal in his time at the club. Regardless of recent events, comments and actions, by signing this petition you are joining your voice to echo out a simple single message. We want to see Paolo Di Canio officially offered a return to the role of Manager of Swindon Town FC. We want to see Paolo Di Canio's backroom staff offered a return to their previous roles within Swindon Town FC. We want to see and hear comments and evidence, that the newly established board have exhausted all avenues to bring Paolo Di Canio back to the County Ground. With Paolo Di Canio and his team back in charge, with their work ethic and enthusiasm... We can build Swindon Town into a stable, sustainable Championship club. This is the best chance we've had in an awful long time to reach the Championship - Please don't let it slip away! Sign the petition http://www.ipetition s.com/petition/bring paoloback/ 140-odd signatures so far! International Robin2
  • Score: 0

9:31am Wed 27 Feb 13

swwindon61uk says...

I am always a glass full man but that was abject rubbish last night and is crystal clear we do need a manager there on the side line.
We have played this poor this season on several occasions but we can not have many more of them.
I am not one for slagging players off but McEveley should not put on a Swindon shirt again,his attitude was appalling,he just did not want to be out there,Navarro is not far behind either,everybody was poor but these two stood out.
As for hoof ball - why?
I don't think i am going to enjoy my tip to Coventry on Sathurday.
I am always a glass full man but that was abject rubbish last night and is crystal clear we do need a manager there on the side line. We have played this poor this season on several occasions but we can not have many more of them. I am not one for slagging players off but McEveley should not put on a Swindon shirt again,his attitude was appalling,he just did not want to be out there,Navarro is not far behind either,everybody was poor but these two stood out. As for hoof ball - why? I don't think i am going to enjoy my tip to Coventry on Sathurday. swwindon61uk
  • Score: 0

9:36am Wed 27 Feb 13

swwindon61uk says...

I think this is also down to the players,we were led to believe the same work ethics were here but clearly last night it shows it is not.
Several of those players who played last night are out of contract this summer,they are going to be hard pushed to stay at Swindon.
I think this is also down to the players,we were led to believe the same work ethics were here but clearly last night it shows it is not. Several of those players who played last night are out of contract this summer,they are going to be hard pushed to stay at Swindon. swwindon61uk
  • Score: 0

9:37am Wed 27 Feb 13

alchafreds says...

sagadude wrote:
Calm down.

This always happens at this time of the year. Hartlepool, Bury and in the other divisions the lower clubs are fighting for their lives.

Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Gillingham, Port Vale are all slipping up against lower sides.

Does not look for saturday though, Cov are one of the best teams in this division.

Please don't go on about the Paolo this Paolo that!. The idiot has gone and it would have not made a difference last night. We need the three players and a NEW manager to get things going again.
idiot
[quote][p][bold]sagadude[/bold] wrote: Calm down. This always happens at this time of the year. Hartlepool, Bury and in the other divisions the lower clubs are fighting for their lives. Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Gillingham, Port Vale are all slipping up against lower sides. Does not look for saturday though, Cov are one of the best teams in this division. Please don't go on about the Paolo this Paolo that!. The idiot has gone and it would have not made a difference last night. We need the three players and a NEW manager to get things going again.[/p][/quote]idiot alchafreds
  • Score: 0

9:39am Wed 27 Feb 13

swwindon61uk says...

Back to the match,another very sloppy goal but Wes should have stopped it ultimately.
Only good thing last night was the other results overall,we are still in the hunt,not sure for how much longer though.....
Back to the match,another very sloppy goal but Wes should have stopped it ultimately. Only good thing last night was the other results overall,we are still in the hunt,not sure for how much longer though..... swwindon61uk
  • Score: 0

9:55am Wed 27 Feb 13

AdderB says...

From what I saw it was fairly obvious that Navaro was a long way short of fitness. He gave the ball away for the first goal and was very poor through out.
McEveley was also very poor. The reason we miss Paulo is simple. If he sees a player who is not at their best , he subs them ! . We must start with Nathan Thompson and put Mccormack into McEveleys position. Its not rocket science !
Also we really need Simon Ferry back. He gets the down and passes it unlike Miller who constantly plays ball in the air.
From what I saw it was fairly obvious that Navaro was a long way short of fitness. He gave the ball away for the first goal and was very poor through out. McEveley was also very poor. The reason we miss Paulo is simple. If he sees a player who is not at their best , he subs them ! . We must start with Nathan Thompson and put Mccormack into McEveleys position. Its not rocket science ! Also we really need Simon Ferry back. He gets the down and passes it unlike Miller who constantly plays ball in the air. AdderB
  • Score: 0

10:01am Wed 27 Feb 13

swwindon61uk says...

I will say, after last night's performance you can see why PDC was constantly barking on the touchline.
I will say, after last night's performance you can see why PDC was constantly barking on the touchline. swwindon61uk
  • Score: 0

11:05am Wed 27 Feb 13

swindonjason says...

I am also hearing there was some sort of scuffle last night between a member of the boardroom and a fan at half time outside the Sponsors Suite.

This is something we certainly don't need at a crucial time when the morale is low.

Yes, the performance was well below par last night, but we all know that. Maybe it was a good thing to have happened, as it was obvious that the Ward and Miller duo just didn't work - but hey, they took on the opportunity, so deserve the credit.

Now, let's get somebody in with ideas and move this club forward again, preferably by Saturday.
I am also hearing there was some sort of scuffle last night between a member of the boardroom and a fan at half time outside the Sponsors Suite. This is something we certainly don't need at a crucial time when the morale is low. Yes, the performance was well below par last night, but we all know that. Maybe it was a good thing to have happened, as it was obvious that the Ward and Miller duo just didn't work - but hey, they took on the opportunity, so deserve the credit. Now, let's get somebody in with ideas and move this club forward again, preferably by Saturday. swindonjason
  • Score: 0

11:58am Wed 27 Feb 13

muckie says...

Didn't watch last nights game against Bury, because I live on The Wirral. From what I have read, I just can't believe that it was basically the same team that performed so well at Tranmere - what a night - so very proud of my team!
Watched Oldham last night on TV - they have Philliskirk managing all their teams from the 10 year olds, upwards. At Swindon, we don't even have the luxury of one man being in charge - how on earth can Ward and Miller be expected to manage and play with nobody on the touchline to direct operations!! We're in danger of throwing away all the good work done so far. I don't agree with asking PDC to return but I do feel we need his replacement appointed sooner than later. I noticed Edgar Davids scored for Barnet last night....... we could do a lot worse!!! Finally, wouldn't it be ironic if PDC was appointed as the new manager of Coventry City - just in time for Saturday!!!! It doesn't bear thinking about!!!
Didn't watch last nights game against Bury, because I live on The Wirral. From what I have read, I just can't believe that it was basically the same team that performed so well at Tranmere - what a night - so very proud of my team! Watched Oldham last night on TV - they have Philliskirk managing all their teams from the 10 year olds, upwards. At Swindon, we don't even have the luxury of one man being in charge - how on earth can Ward and Miller be expected to manage and play with nobody on the touchline to direct operations!! We're in danger of throwing away all the good work done so far. I don't agree with asking PDC to return but I do feel we need his replacement appointed sooner than later. I noticed Edgar Davids scored for Barnet last night....... we could do a lot worse!!! Finally, wouldn't it be ironic if PDC was appointed as the new manager of Coventry City - just in time for Saturday!!!! It doesn't bear thinking about!!! muckie
  • Score: 0

12:05pm Wed 27 Feb 13

swindonjason says...

muckie wrote:
Didn't watch last nights game against Bury, because I live on The Wirral. From what I have read, I just can't believe that it was basically the same team that performed so well at Tranmere - what a night - so very proud of my team! Watched Oldham last night on TV - they have Philliskirk managing all their teams from the 10 year olds, upwards. At Swindon, we don't even have the luxury of one man being in charge - how on earth can Ward and Miller be expected to manage and play with nobody on the touchline to direct operations!! We're in danger of throwing away all the good work done so far. I don't agree with asking PDC to return but I do feel we need his replacement appointed sooner than later. I noticed Edgar Davids scored for Barnet last night....... we could do a lot worse!!! Finally, wouldn't it be ironic if PDC was appointed as the new manager of Coventry City - just in time for Saturday!!!! It doesn't bear thinking about!!!
Firstly I don't think Coventry could afford him (they are in arrears at the Stadium), and secondly, he would not want to re-acquaint himself with Leon Clarke!
[quote][p][bold]muckie[/bold] wrote: Didn't watch last nights game against Bury, because I live on The Wirral. From what I have read, I just can't believe that it was basically the same team that performed so well at Tranmere - what a night - so very proud of my team! Watched Oldham last night on TV - they have Philliskirk managing all their teams from the 10 year olds, upwards. At Swindon, we don't even have the luxury of one man being in charge - how on earth can Ward and Miller be expected to manage and play with nobody on the touchline to direct operations!! We're in danger of throwing away all the good work done so far. I don't agree with asking PDC to return but I do feel we need his replacement appointed sooner than later. I noticed Edgar Davids scored for Barnet last night....... we could do a lot worse!!! Finally, wouldn't it be ironic if PDC was appointed as the new manager of Coventry City - just in time for Saturday!!!! It doesn't bear thinking about!!![/p][/quote]Firstly I don't think Coventry could afford him (they are in arrears at the Stadium), and secondly, he would not want to re-acquaint himself with Leon Clarke! swindonjason
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Wed 27 Feb 13

RedintheFace says...

...and thirdly no-one else wants him
...and thirdly no-one else wants him RedintheFace
  • Score: 0

3:39pm Wed 27 Feb 13

super reds says...

Including last nights defeat to Bury, the teams we 'should' have put away at the CG this season, (also the 1's we have totally outplayed & drawn against) we have lost out on 27 points that we really should have had in the bag. Ok other teams could say the same but Hartlepool, Bury, Preston, Scunny, L Orient, the list goes on, are all matches we should be winning IMO
Including last nights defeat to Bury, the teams we 'should' have put away at the CG this season, (also the 1's we have totally outplayed & drawn against) we have lost out on 27 points that we really should have had in the bag. Ok other teams could say the same but Hartlepool, Bury, Preston, Scunny, L Orient, the list goes on, are all matches we should be winning IMO super reds
  • Score: 0

4:28pm Wed 27 Feb 13

glasred says...

It feels like the plug has been pulled and all the energy drained out since PDC left.
I know im harping on but who else could supply that undaunted enthusiasm that PDC always maintained...which lifted us to where we are now?
Just have to wait I suppose,but on last nights dismal attempt,we can forget the championship and just be thankfull we willstay in the top half of L1. Action please Mr Mc Crery.
It feels like the plug has been pulled and all the energy drained out since PDC left. I know im harping on but who else could supply that undaunted enthusiasm that PDC always maintained...which lifted us to where we are now? Just have to wait I suppose,but on last nights dismal attempt,we can forget the championship and just be thankfull we willstay in the top half of L1. Action please Mr Mc Crery. glasred
  • Score: 0

7:14pm Wed 27 Feb 13

SimonPrice351 says...

Paolo made the players believe in themselves, and they went out believing they could beat anybody.

A bit of a modern day Brian Clough - and even 'Ol' Big Ead' had his detractors.

I agree that without Paolo it will be more difficult for us.
Paolo made the players believe in themselves, and they went out believing they could beat anybody. A bit of a modern day Brian Clough - and even 'Ol' Big Ead' had his detractors. I agree that without Paolo it will be more difficult for us. SimonPrice351
  • Score: 0

10:21pm Fri 1 Mar 13

lifelong red says...

Rebel_phish wrote:
I posted this comment yesterday pre-match.


Really fancy the win for the Town tonight. But we will still have to be on our guard tonight. No sloppy goals given away as in recent games.

Bury haven't won in 12.

Hmmm! dont be too complacent..... before this season Macclesfield hadn't won here at all.



Bury's game-plan worked - we didn't have one.
off to Coventry tomoz,lets get behind the lads as this is a new start for us all,coyr's.
[quote][p][bold]Rebel_phish[/bold] wrote: I posted this comment yesterday pre-match. Really fancy the win for the Town tonight. But we will still have to be on our guard tonight. No sloppy goals given away as in recent games. Bury haven't won in 12. Hmmm! dont be too complacent..... before this season Macclesfield hadn't won here at all. Bury's game-plan worked - we didn't have one.[/p][/quote]off to Coventry tomoz,lets get behind the lads as this is a new start for us all,coyr's. lifelong red
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree