Swindon AdvertiserPower to discuss Ranger contract termination (From Swindon Advertiser)

Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us

SWINDON TOWN: Power to discuss Ranger contract termination

Swindon Advertiser: Town chairman Lee Power Town chairman Lee Power

SWINDON Town chairman Lee Power has confirmed that he will soon sit down with representatives of Nile Ranger to discuss the termination of the striker’s contract at the County Ground.

As revealed by the Advertiser on Tuesday, Town’s patience with Ranger has run out after a string of misdemeanours culminating in the forward missing training last Friday following the Boxing Day defeat at Brentford.

Power, who said Ranger had enjoyed “more lives than a cattery”, was originally set to hold talks with the 22-year-old yesterday but they have now been postponed until next week. The Robins owner stressed Ranger would not be training with his teammates at the club’s Liddington base while the issue is resolved.

In an exclusive interview with the Adver, Power said: “We’re frustrated because he’s got such a talent and I don’t think that’s in question. Everyone who’s turned up to see him can say he’s the best forward in this league. He definitely is in my opinion.

“It’s frustrating for everyone at the club because they know they’ve got this talent at the club but we’ve tried very hard to nurture it, we’ve tried this, we’ve tried that, we’ve tried whatever we can but for whatever reason his mind is elsewhere.

“He’s a young lad and he’s got issues going on in his life which are well-documented and it’s got to the point now where we just can’t help any more. We’ve got to think about the rest of the players and the football club.

“I’m the chairman of the club and I’ve got to do what’s best for the club. Unfortunately, what’s best for the club is having to sit down with Nile and talk about parting ways. While this is ongoing Nile is not training with the squad.

“He’s had more lives than a cattery let alone a cat and there’s no more the club can do any more. Luke (Williams) and Mark (Cooper) have tried as much as they can but we’ve got to look at the good of the club now and that’s why we’re reaching this decision.”

Ranger joined Town in the summer following his release by Newcastle and has managed six goals in 19 appearances since signing a one-year deal.

However, his stay at Swindon has been littered with examples of indiscipline. He missed several training sessions in October and November before being granted a leave of absence by the club to prepare for his upcoming court case. Ranger faces a rape charge, which he denies, in Newcastle from January 20.

Having missed three weeks of action as a result of his truancy, Ranger returned as a substitute in the 3-1 win over Carlisle on November 30 but soon went AWOL again and only came back into the side for the 2-1 victory against Coventry on December 21.

He also started at Brentford on Boxing Day, despite having been involved in a car accident on Christmas Day, but failed to report for training on December 27 – cueing Town’s decision to seek the termination of his contract.

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:40am Fri 3 Jan 14

U REDS says...

No ones bigger than STFC. Time to say goodbye.
No ones bigger than STFC. Time to say goodbye. U REDS
  • Score: 9

7:28am Fri 3 Jan 14

multipostingshouldbebanned says...

I have been a Town supporter since the late 70''s and have rarely seen such a waste of talent as we are seeing with Nile.
Whilst it is clear he is having a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad, I believe it would be in everyone's interest if he was retained on our books, allowed to fitness train but not considered for the first team until his court case is concluded.
There are many posters on here and on other forums that have already convicted Nile, but the fact remains that he might be innocent.
If that proves to be the case then surely whether he is living a privileged life as a professional footballer or not, that would mess with anyone's head.
I know that if I was facing these kind of charges (whether guilty or not), I would not be able to focus properly on any part of my life (even less so if I was in the public eye).
I would like nothing more than for Nile to be found innocent of all charges (as opposed to insufficient evidence) and push forward with what could be a very rewarding career.
However, if he is proven to be guilty then they should throw away the key.
I have been a Town supporter since the late 70''s and have rarely seen such a waste of talent as we are seeing with Nile. Whilst it is clear he is having a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad, I believe it would be in everyone's interest if he was retained on our books, allowed to fitness train but not considered for the first team until his court case is concluded. There are many posters on here and on other forums that have already convicted Nile, but the fact remains that he might be innocent. If that proves to be the case then surely whether he is living a privileged life as a professional footballer or not, that would mess with anyone's head. I know that if I was facing these kind of charges (whether guilty or not), I would not be able to focus properly on any part of my life (even less so if I was in the public eye). I would like nothing more than for Nile to be found innocent of all charges (as opposed to insufficient evidence) and push forward with what could be a very rewarding career. However, if he is proven to be guilty then they should throw away the key. multipostingshouldbebanned
  • Score: 14

7:39am Fri 3 Jan 14

street2000 says...

Hopefully all is not lost with Ranger. In my view, he isn't fantastic but we don't have a lot. He would get better in time but needs to sort his issues out.
Hopefully all is not lost with Ranger. In my view, he isn't fantastic but we don't have a lot. He would get better in time but needs to sort his issues out. street2000
  • Score: -1

7:50am Fri 3 Jan 14

ShearerShearer says...

multipostingshouldbe
banned
wrote:
I have been a Town supporter since the late 70''s and have rarely seen such a waste of talent as we are seeing with Nile. Whilst it is clear he is having a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad, I believe it would be in everyone's interest if he was retained on our books, allowed to fitness train but not considered for the first team until his court case is concluded. There are many posters on here and on other forums that have already convicted Nile, but the fact remains that he might be innocent. If that proves to be the case then surely whether he is living a privileged life as a professional footballer or not, that would mess with anyone's head. I know that if I was facing these kind of charges (whether guilty or not), I would not be able to focus properly on any part of my life (even less so if I was in the public eye). I would like nothing more than for Nile to be found innocent of all charges (as opposed to insufficient evidence) and push forward with what could be a very rewarding career. However, if he is proven to be guilty then they should throw away the key.
There's part of me thinking the same as you, however the other part thinks that his behaviour off the pitch has always been the same (pre and post rape charge) and there's no sign that it will change, if this hasn't been enough to give him the wake-up call needed what will?
[quote][p][bold]multipostingshouldbe banned[/bold] wrote: I have been a Town supporter since the late 70''s and have rarely seen such a waste of talent as we are seeing with Nile. Whilst it is clear he is having a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad, I believe it would be in everyone's interest if he was retained on our books, allowed to fitness train but not considered for the first team until his court case is concluded. There are many posters on here and on other forums that have already convicted Nile, but the fact remains that he might be innocent. If that proves to be the case then surely whether he is living a privileged life as a professional footballer or not, that would mess with anyone's head. I know that if I was facing these kind of charges (whether guilty or not), I would not be able to focus properly on any part of my life (even less so if I was in the public eye). I would like nothing more than for Nile to be found innocent of all charges (as opposed to insufficient evidence) and push forward with what could be a very rewarding career. However, if he is proven to be guilty then they should throw away the key.[/p][/quote]There's part of me thinking the same as you, however the other part thinks that his behaviour off the pitch has always been the same (pre and post rape charge) and there's no sign that it will change, if this hasn't been enough to give him the wake-up call needed what will? ShearerShearer
  • Score: 16

7:54am Fri 3 Jan 14

Fernham Red says...

Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone.
Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down.
Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone. Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down. Fernham Red
  • Score: -12

9:10am Fri 3 Jan 14

moggy83 says...

The problem we woud have with allowing him to stay with us and not play is the fact we would be light up top and we don't have the luxury of buying another player whilst we pay Ranger to run on a treadmill to stay fit, The guy has a great talent but i'm glad after all this AWOL rubbish we are now getting rid. I just hope we dont sign Leon Knight :/
The problem we woud have with allowing him to stay with us and not play is the fact we would be light up top and we don't have the luxury of buying another player whilst we pay Ranger to run on a treadmill to stay fit, The guy has a great talent but i'm glad after all this AWOL rubbish we are now getting rid. I just hope we dont sign Leon Knight :/ moggy83
  • Score: 4

9:11am Fri 3 Jan 14

LeGod says...

multipostings - totally agree with your comments we have come this far with him and with his court case due on the 20th of this month if he is found innocent then we still have a player. The problem is where does that the leave his poor discipline problem with the other player as it must have an effect on the squad.
Nile obviously has a really serious idiot mentality and cant deal with things and is constantly in trouble unless this guy has someone with him all the time who is sensible to keep him out of trouble will he ever change. STFC have given him many chances and i would still like us to retain him but until his case is over keep him away from the other players and when found not guilty he comes back into the fold.
This guy seriously has to get himself sorted he is such a good player and i can see what might happen if we terminate his contract he will be found not guilty move on to another club and be banging the goals in.
On the other hand does he know other clubs will want him if found innocent and is doing this intentionally - who knows with a mind like his.
My hope - we retain him - he gets found not guilty - he gets his head together - he acts more professional and helps us reach the play offs by banging in the goals. am i being way too optimistic- probably
multipostings - totally agree with your comments we have come this far with him and with his court case due on the 20th of this month if he is found innocent then we still have a player. The problem is where does that the leave his poor discipline problem with the other player as it must have an effect on the squad. Nile obviously has a really serious idiot mentality and cant deal with things and is constantly in trouble unless this guy has someone with him all the time who is sensible to keep him out of trouble will he ever change. STFC have given him many chances and i would still like us to retain him but until his case is over keep him away from the other players and when found not guilty he comes back into the fold. This guy seriously has to get himself sorted he is such a good player and i can see what might happen if we terminate his contract he will be found not guilty move on to another club and be banging the goals in. On the other hand does he know other clubs will want him if found innocent and is doing this intentionally - who knows with a mind like his. My hope - we retain him - he gets found not guilty - he gets his head together - he acts more professional and helps us reach the play offs by banging in the goals. am i being way too optimistic- probably LeGod
  • Score: 12

9:24am Fri 3 Jan 14

smirg kcab says...

At least he's worked for a living with us unlike Navarro and cox and Troy who we need to get shot off ASAP
At least he's worked for a living with us unlike Navarro and cox and Troy who we need to get shot off ASAP smirg kcab
  • Score: 1

9:42am Fri 3 Jan 14

hertz says...

Time for an Adver vote

Keep ?

Get Rid ?
Time for an Adver vote Keep ? Get Rid ? hertz
  • Score: 7

9:49am Fri 3 Jan 14

Wilesy says...

Power sums it up perfectly in the interview - A great talent that has been given every chance but it can't go on so time to part ways. Not surprised at all.

Regardless of what is going on in his private life Ranger has stuck two fingers up to the club that supported him and gave him an opportunity, although admittedly he did well on the pitch whenever he played.
Power sums it up perfectly in the interview - A great talent that has been given every chance but it can't go on so time to part ways. Not surprised at all. Regardless of what is going on in his private life Ranger has stuck two fingers up to the club that supported him and gave him an opportunity, although admittedly he did well on the pitch whenever he played. Wilesy
  • Score: 11

10:19am Fri 3 Jan 14

Robinonfire says...

If he goes to Jail = The End of it.
If hes cleared Power will keep him hes worth £s
If he goes to Jail = The End of it. If hes cleared Power will keep him hes worth £s Robinonfire
  • Score: 1

10:19am Fri 3 Jan 14

readie57 says...

smirg kcab wrote:
At least he's worked for a living with us unlike Navarro and cox and Troy who we need to get shot off ASAP
Navarro must be getting even bigger what with not playing,and sitting on his arse all Xmas.Put him in defense....by the time the opposition have gone round him,they ll be too knackered to shoot!!
[quote][p][bold]smirg kcab[/bold] wrote: At least he's worked for a living with us unlike Navarro and cox and Troy who we need to get shot off ASAP[/p][/quote]Navarro must be getting even bigger what with not playing,and sitting on his arse all Xmas.Put him in defense....by the time the opposition have gone round him,they ll be too knackered to shoot!! readie57
  • Score: 4

10:19am Fri 3 Jan 14

Tyran66 says...

The guy is a total clown. Sacked from Southampton academy for stealing kit, Newcastle terminated his contract because he was too lazy to turn up for training and only scored something like 3 times in 62 appearances. Even Pardew questioned his work ethic.

We have him, guess what. He cannot be bothered to turn up to training and he recently stacked his car while being a jack ****. This is before you take into account he is facing rape charges, yes he might be well be innocent but how stupid do you have to be to get into that situation in the first place.

Talent is no excuse for be bone ilde - in fact it probably makes it worse. Plenty of journeyman pro's in the league that have to work bloody hard to put in a performance.

Sack this joker and be done with it. With all these shenanigans this can most likely be achieved via disciplinary methods, STFC would not even need to pay him.
The guy is a total clown. Sacked from Southampton academy for stealing kit, Newcastle terminated his contract because he was too lazy to turn up for training and only scored something like 3 times in 62 appearances. Even Pardew questioned his work ethic. We have him, guess what. He cannot be bothered to turn up to training and he recently stacked his car while being a jack ****. This is before you take into account he is facing rape charges, yes he might be well be innocent but how stupid do you have to be to get into that situation in the first place. Talent is no excuse for be bone ilde - in fact it probably makes it worse. Plenty of journeyman pro's in the league that have to work bloody hard to put in a performance. Sack this joker and be done with it. With all these shenanigans this can most likely be achieved via disciplinary methods, STFC would not even need to pay him. Tyran66
  • Score: 17

10:23am Fri 3 Jan 14

stfc2012 says...

I don't see the point of Power meeting with Ranger's people. He is either sacking him or not. Perhaps it is not as simple as that? I must ask about the pitch covers also. We're they on all week? Everyone at the club seemed happy it was off, and I'm sure the pitch was bad - but could it have been prevented? I'd have thought if kept covered it may have been ok. Cooper managed to get a late booking on the Brum game I hear
I don't see the point of Power meeting with Ranger's people. He is either sacking him or not. Perhaps it is not as simple as that? I must ask about the pitch covers also. We're they on all week? Everyone at the club seemed happy it was off, and I'm sure the pitch was bad - but could it have been prevented? I'd have thought if kept covered it may have been ok. Cooper managed to get a late booking on the Brum game I hear stfc2012
  • Score: -1

10:47am Fri 3 Jan 14

uruguay whitey the red says...

tyran 66 is the only person who sees the bigger picture with that clown,assault charges,rape charges,sacked from football clubs for stealing,attitude etc,multiple traffic offences,several car crashes with his high powered motors,on social media sites pictured making gun signs,surrounded by £50 notes.perfect role model???ask the kids in the youth academy!!!!
tyran 66 is the only person who sees the bigger picture with that clown,assault charges,rape charges,sacked from football clubs for stealing,attitude etc,multiple traffic offences,several car crashes with his high powered motors,on social media sites pictured making gun signs,surrounded by £50 notes.perfect role model???ask the kids in the youth academy!!!! uruguay whitey the red
  • Score: 15

10:54am Fri 3 Jan 14

Graham8181 says...

Tyran66 wrote:
The guy is a total clown. Sacked from Southampton academy for stealing kit, Newcastle terminated his contract because he was too lazy to turn up for training and only scored something like 3 times in 62 appearances. Even Pardew questioned his work ethic.

We have him, guess what. He cannot be bothered to turn up to training and he recently stacked his car while being a jack ****. This is before you take into account he is facing rape charges, yes he might be well be innocent but how stupid do you have to be to get into that situation in the first place.

Talent is no excuse for be bone ilde - in fact it probably makes it worse. Plenty of journeyman pro's in the league that have to work bloody hard to put in a performance.

Sack this joker and be done with it. With all these shenanigans this can most likely be achieved via disciplinary methods, STFC would not even need to pay him.
well said, the key word that goes before top footballers is "professional". He is not professional and there's only a certain amount of chances one should get. a contract is a 2 way thing, Swindon met their part of the bargain, he did not, simple. he will never change. have a look on the interview on youtube with him, the guys a lose cannon
[quote][p][bold]Tyran66[/bold] wrote: The guy is a total clown. Sacked from Southampton academy for stealing kit, Newcastle terminated his contract because he was too lazy to turn up for training and only scored something like 3 times in 62 appearances. Even Pardew questioned his work ethic. We have him, guess what. He cannot be bothered to turn up to training and he recently stacked his car while being a jack ****. This is before you take into account he is facing rape charges, yes he might be well be innocent but how stupid do you have to be to get into that situation in the first place. Talent is no excuse for be bone ilde - in fact it probably makes it worse. Plenty of journeyman pro's in the league that have to work bloody hard to put in a performance. Sack this joker and be done with it. With all these shenanigans this can most likely be achieved via disciplinary methods, STFC would not even need to pay him.[/p][/quote]well said, the key word that goes before top footballers is "professional". He is not professional and there's only a certain amount of chances one should get. a contract is a 2 way thing, Swindon met their part of the bargain, he did not, simple. he will never change. have a look on the interview on youtube with him, the guys a lose cannon Graham8181
  • Score: 6

11:11am Fri 3 Jan 14

uruguay whitey the red says...

id also like to mention that in what walk of life should our employers publically back us as we faced such a serious criminal charge??it would be the person involved having to face up to the accusations and subsequent court appearance,its his private life,nothing to do with STFC having to `help.`Don't forget their is 2 people involved in mr rangers case.
id also like to mention that in what walk of life should our employers publically back us as we faced such a serious criminal charge??it would be the person involved having to face up to the accusations and subsequent court appearance,its his private life,nothing to do with STFC having to `help.`Don't forget their is 2 people involved in mr rangers case. uruguay whitey the red
  • Score: 1

11:34am Fri 3 Jan 14

themoonraker says...

Fernham Red wrote:
Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone.
Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down.
.........more like he has bitten the hand that fed him.
The man is undoubtedly a good footballer but unfortunately he is also a moron and a low-life and he has to be got rid of now.
[quote][p][bold]Fernham Red[/bold] wrote: Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone. Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down.[/p][/quote].........more like he has bitten the hand that fed him. The man is undoubtedly a good footballer but unfortunately he is also a moron and a low-life and he has to be got rid of now. themoonraker
  • Score: 6

11:47am Fri 3 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

Fernham Red wrote:
Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone.
Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down.
Fernham, how can you say it's no coincidence that his indiscretions have occurred with the court case imminent, when he has behaved in exactly the same manner at other clubs before he was ever accused of rape? Too much pu55yfooting around the real problem, which seems to be Ranger's attitude to life in general. There may be mitigating circumstances in terms of his early life etc but please let's not pretend that he has started misbehaving because he has been accused of a serious offence. His previous "indiscretions" are well documented.

The club has shown Ranger patience and compassion beyond the call of duty. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Either Ranger refuses to accept the goodwill of STFC or he takes it for granted. Whichever it is, Power is quite right to decide that the club's wider interest comes before that of a player who refuses to do his job.
[quote][p][bold]Fernham Red[/bold] wrote: Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone. Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down.[/p][/quote]Fernham, how can you say it's no coincidence that his indiscretions have occurred with the court case imminent, when he has behaved in exactly the same manner at other clubs before he was ever accused of rape? Too much pu55yfooting around the real problem, which seems to be Ranger's attitude to life in general. There may be mitigating circumstances in terms of his early life etc but please let's not pretend that he has started misbehaving because he has been accused of a serious offence. His previous "indiscretions" are well documented. The club has shown Ranger patience and compassion beyond the call of duty. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Either Ranger refuses to accept the goodwill of STFC or he takes it for granted. Whichever it is, Power is quite right to decide that the club's wider interest comes before that of a player who refuses to do his job. Oi Den!
  • Score: 6

12:20pm Fri 3 Jan 14

mickry says...

Very tempted to say that the club should just sack him. If he is not shown the door what message does that send to those players who do turn up for the work they are being well paid to do?
At the very least, if he is suspended, they should stop paying him!
Mick.
Very tempted to say that the club should just sack him. If he is not shown the door what message does that send to those players who do turn up for the work they are being well paid to do? At the very least, if he is suspended, they should stop paying him! Mick. mickry
  • Score: 9

12:21pm Fri 3 Jan 14

castle9 says...

What is there to talk about? Why speak to the agents/representativ
es? Just talk to the player himself, tell him he is in breach of contract and that his contract is terminated backdated to when he failed to fulfil his contractual obligations.

Football has got to get real, paying people to sit on their backsides all day needs to become a thing of the past, it is no longer sustainable. Basic retainer plus appearance fees.
What is there to talk about? Why speak to the agents/representativ es? Just talk to the player himself, tell him he is in breach of contract and that his contract is terminated backdated to when he failed to fulfil his contractual obligations. Football has got to get real, paying people to sit on their backsides all day needs to become a thing of the past, it is no longer sustainable. Basic retainer plus appearance fees. castle9
  • Score: 9

12:55pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

castle9 wrote:
What is there to talk about? Why speak to the agents/representativ

es? Just talk to the player himself, tell him he is in breach of contract and that his contract is terminated backdated to when he failed to fulfil his contractual obligations.

Football has got to get real, paying people to sit on their backsides all day needs to become a thing of the past, it is no longer sustainable. Basic retainer plus appearance fees.
Would it work? What about players who work their arses off in an effort to get in the team but rarely make an appearance?
[quote][p][bold]castle9[/bold] wrote: What is there to talk about? Why speak to the agents/representativ es? Just talk to the player himself, tell him he is in breach of contract and that his contract is terminated backdated to when he failed to fulfil his contractual obligations. Football has got to get real, paying people to sit on their backsides all day needs to become a thing of the past, it is no longer sustainable. Basic retainer plus appearance fees.[/p][/quote]Would it work? What about players who work their arses off in an effort to get in the team but rarely make an appearance? Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

1:11pm Fri 3 Jan 14

dazzastfc says...

Dont understand why Power is meeting with his agent ??..
The player has breached his contract on numeric occasions..
SACK HIM
Everything Ranger has done he has bought on himself..
HE THINKS HE CAN DO WHAT HE WONTS..That is why some are not surprised with his RAPE CHARGE
Simple facts of life to people that work..Would your boss give you as many chances as he has...NO...NOT A HOPE IN HELL
Dont understand why Power is meeting with his agent ??.. The player has breached his contract on numeric occasions.. SACK HIM Everything Ranger has done he has bought on himself.. HE THINKS HE CAN DO WHAT HE WONTS..That is why some are not surprised with his RAPE CHARGE Simple facts of life to people that work..Would your boss give you as many chances as he has...NO...NOT A HOPE IN HELL dazzastfc
  • Score: 8

1:34pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Steve. Brentford says...

Oi Den! wrote:
Fernham Red wrote: Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone. Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down.
Fernham, how can you say it's no coincidence that his indiscretions have occurred with the court case imminent, when he has behaved in exactly the same manner at other clubs before he was ever accused of rape? Too much pu55yfooting around the real problem, which seems to be Ranger's attitude to life in general. There may be mitigating circumstances in terms of his early life etc but please let's not pretend that he has started misbehaving because he has been accused of a serious offence. His previous "indiscretions" are well documented. The club has shown Ranger patience and compassion beyond the call of duty. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Either Ranger refuses to accept the goodwill of STFC or he takes it for granted. Whichever it is, Power is quite right to decide that the club's wider interest comes before that of a player who refuses to do his job.
Good post Den,
," he has had more lives than a cattery" of course he has but chooses to throw that back in to the faces of the very people who gave him a chance,. One person and one person only does he care about and that is himself.
The people on here who believe we should keep him until his court case is over, what do you think he will do once that is over? should he be found not guilty the last thing on his mind will be Swindon Town as it is now.Sorry but he really is a liberty taking mug.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fernham Red[/bold] wrote: Irrespective of his obvious talent, my personal feeling is that we should support Nile right through to his court appearance - we knew what we were taking on and as a club should be consistent in our behaviour towards him. In for a penny, in for a pound. Supporting your players doesn't just happen on the field, it should happen off it too. That does mean sacrifices have to be made for individuals sometimes, particularly where they are subject to highly stressful situations. I'm under no illusion that Nile is an angel but young players do need guidance or a father figure at certain stages of their career to get through hard times. This problem is beyond football alone. Whilst premier clubs have large budgets to build a support network around their players; I am conscious that we do not have those sorts of funds but I'd like to think that some of the senior and more mature members of the coaching team & squad would take it upon themselves to bring him more into the fold. I don't like the idea of dismissing failure as someone else's problem; Nile has not asked for out - so in my book we are unable to respond to his cries for help. The timing of his indiscretions is no coincidence with the court case imminent. We are abandoning a man when he is down.[/p][/quote]Fernham, how can you say it's no coincidence that his indiscretions have occurred with the court case imminent, when he has behaved in exactly the same manner at other clubs before he was ever accused of rape? Too much pu55yfooting around the real problem, which seems to be Ranger's attitude to life in general. There may be mitigating circumstances in terms of his early life etc but please let's not pretend that he has started misbehaving because he has been accused of a serious offence. His previous "indiscretions" are well documented. The club has shown Ranger patience and compassion beyond the call of duty. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Either Ranger refuses to accept the goodwill of STFC or he takes it for granted. Whichever it is, Power is quite right to decide that the club's wider interest comes before that of a player who refuses to do his job.[/p][/quote]Good post Den, ," he has had more lives than a cattery" of course he has but chooses to throw that back in to the faces of the very people who gave him a chance,. One person and one person only does he care about and that is himself. The people on here who believe we should keep him until his court case is over, what do you think he will do once that is over? should he be found not guilty the last thing on his mind will be Swindon Town as it is now.Sorry but he really is a liberty taking mug. Steve. Brentford
  • Score: 6

1:51pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Fernham Red says...

Den & Moonraker,

Thanks for your feedback. My main point here was that we (the club) decided to take the gamble on Nile in the first place. Nobody else wanted to because of all the signs but we took him on knowing all the history (well documented by Tyran66 above). We knew this was high risk/high reward but were ultimately happy to take the gamble.

Where other clubs have taken on "mercurial talent with a dark side", they've invested heavily in building a support network for that player to bring out the best and reduce the occurrence/magnitude of the bad. It's hard to see a lot of evidence of this from our club, aside from some fatherly words of advice and some time off. We're reaped the rewards of his talent on the field but are then keen to dump the guy when the less palatable side of his personality arises unchecked.

Some people need help to get better, not just a nod and a smile and a few words. In that regard I wouldn't say we have invested heavily in Nile's long term future (dealing with gambling and numerous other alleged misdemeanours). I don't therefore think we should expect him to self-fix his own issues given his past record or denigrate him for not morphing into a perfect professional. We knew what we signed up for (remember how many of us were against this in the first place) and we got it - the good and the bad - and we should either accept it (live with it) or do something about it (get the guy some help).

Sacking him is an admission that we (the club) got it wrong and in doing so have also failed in supporting someone who clearly needs friends more than he needs enemies.
Den & Moonraker, Thanks for your feedback. My main point here was that we (the club) decided to take the gamble on Nile in the first place. Nobody else wanted to because of all the signs but we took him on knowing all the history (well documented by Tyran66 above). We knew this was high risk/high reward but were ultimately happy to take the gamble. Where other clubs have taken on "mercurial talent with a dark side", they've invested heavily in building a support network for that player to bring out the best and reduce the occurrence/magnitude of the bad. It's hard to see a lot of evidence of this from our club, aside from some fatherly words of advice and some time off. We're reaped the rewards of his talent on the field but are then keen to dump the guy when the less palatable side of his personality arises unchecked. Some people need help to get better, not just a nod and a smile and a few words. In that regard I wouldn't say we have invested heavily in Nile's long term future (dealing with gambling and numerous other alleged misdemeanours). I don't therefore think we should expect him to self-fix his own issues given his past record or denigrate him for not morphing into a perfect professional. We knew what we signed up for (remember how many of us were against this in the first place) and we got it - the good and the bad - and we should either accept it (live with it) or do something about it (get the guy some help). Sacking him is an admission that we (the club) got it wrong and in doing so have also failed in supporting someone who clearly needs friends more than he needs enemies. Fernham Red
  • Score: -3

2:27pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

Fernham, you are clearly firm in your view that we have a moral obligation to support Ranger, regardless of the fact that he repeatedly fails to meet his obligations to the club. How long would you say this one sided arrangement should exist? And what is so significant about his trial, when his behaviour has been consistent for years? Let's assume for a moment that he keeps his freedom. Then what? Do we carry on indulging him - letting him come and go as he pleases, while colleagues are toeing the line and may be busting a gut to become regular first team players? Isn't it a recipe for chaos?
Fernham, you are clearly firm in your view that we have a moral obligation to support Ranger, regardless of the fact that he repeatedly fails to meet his obligations to the club. How long would you say this one sided arrangement should exist? And what is so significant about his trial, when his behaviour has been consistent for years? Let's assume for a moment that he keeps his freedom. Then what? Do we carry on indulging him - letting him come and go as he pleases, while colleagues are toeing the line and may be busting a gut to become regular first team players? Isn't it a recipe for chaos? Oi Den!
  • Score: 5

2:40pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Fernham Red says...

Den, you are right it would be chaos..... If we don't get him the off the field support he needs and that in reality means some form of rehab. Tony Adams sporting chance clinic comes to mind...." A safe, dedicated environment, where sportsmen and women can receive support and counselling for the kinds of destructive behaviour patterns that exist in the world of competitive sport, but that are often denied." If we were able to guide him with this kind of support, I believe we could reap more permanent and consistent rewards from him on the field. Speculate to accumulate. Admittedly this is a long term view but surely that's what we should have been thinking when we got him on board; otherwise what were we thinking............
we'd get a premier class footballer for pocket change?
Den, you are right it would be chaos..... If we don't get him the off the field support he needs and that in reality means some form of rehab. Tony Adams sporting chance clinic comes to mind...." A safe, dedicated environment, where sportsmen and women can receive support and counselling for the kinds of destructive behaviour patterns that exist in the world of competitive sport, but that are often denied." If we were able to guide him with this kind of support, I believe we could reap more permanent and consistent rewards from him on the field. Speculate to accumulate. Admittedly this is a long term view but surely that's what we should have been thinking when we got him on board; otherwise what were we thinking............ we'd get a premier class footballer for pocket change? Fernham Red
  • Score: -1

2:47pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

Fernham, you still haven't said where you would draw the line.
Fernham, you still haven't said where you would draw the line. Oi Den!
  • Score: -1

3:07pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Fernham Red says...

Den, I don't think we have invested enough effort to draw the line yet, that is my point. Your question suggests where should we cut our losses? The answer is simple enough. If we are short-term minded we get rid off him now; if we are long-term minded we invest in him more. I think this is broadly where our views differ.

We are currently spending on Navarro, Cox, Benson, Williams (& possibly Rooney's contract paid up too). All for nil return (barring part payment of Benson's wages by Luton). That is my definition of a bad bet or just plain bad business. I would rather see us investing (in whatever form that may be) in nurturing obvious top class talent for the long term. That to me is a certainly a better view on investment though admittedly it would require some longevity in the boardroom to back it up.
Den, I don't think we have invested enough effort to draw the line yet, that is my point. Your question suggests where should we cut our losses? The answer is simple enough. If we are short-term minded we get rid off him now; if we are long-term minded we invest in him more. I think this is broadly where our views differ. We are currently spending on Navarro, Cox, Benson, Williams (& possibly Rooney's contract paid up too). All for nil return (barring part payment of Benson's wages by Luton). That is my definition of a bad bet or just plain bad business. I would rather see us investing (in whatever form that may be) in nurturing obvious top class talent for the long term. That to me is a certainly a better view on investment though admittedly it would require some longevity in the boardroom to back it up. Fernham Red
  • Score: 0

3:42pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Oi Den! says...

But, Fernham, where we also differ is that I think the primary duty of care of STFC's directors is to the football club. Whatever Ranger's problems and whether he deserves sympathetic treatment or not, I fail to see why the directors should put the interests of a disruptive individual above the stability of the club. Yes, he MIGHT change his ways. Do we carry on gambling on that basis? Short answer - No.

(By the way, lest you should believe that I'm a hanger and flogger, I'd add that I've often been accused of being too tolerant. You've outdone me here!) Enough on this from me.
But, Fernham, where we also differ is that I think the primary duty of care of STFC's directors is to the football club. Whatever Ranger's problems and whether he deserves sympathetic treatment or not, I fail to see why the directors should put the interests of a disruptive individual above the stability of the club. Yes, he MIGHT change his ways. Do we carry on gambling on that basis? Short answer - No. (By the way, lest you should believe that I'm a hanger and flogger, I'd add that I've often been accused of being too tolerant. You've outdone me here!) Enough on this from me. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

4:13pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Fernham Red says...

Touche Den, fair play and good commentary. I 'm usually more on the middle ground but this one has caught me a 'bit left of field'. Over and out from me in China too (it's just passed midnight here in Shenzhen) - perhaps I should change my name to "the East is Red" rather than harking back to my roots in "the 'shire".
Touche Den, fair play and good commentary. I 'm usually more on the middle ground but this one has caught me a 'bit left of field'. Over and out from me in China too (it's just passed midnight here in Shenzhen) - perhaps I should change my name to "the East is Red" rather than harking back to my roots in "the 'shire". Fernham Red
  • Score: 0

4:49pm Fri 3 Jan 14

dazzastfc says...

Fernham Red wrote:
Den, I don't think we have invested enough effort to draw the line yet, that is my point. Your question suggests where should we cut our losses? The answer is simple enough. If we are short-term minded we get rid off him now; if we are long-term minded we invest in him more. I think this is broadly where our views differ.

We are currently spending on Navarro, Cox, Benson, Williams (& possibly Rooney's contract paid up too). All for nil return (barring part payment of Benson's wages by Luton). That is my definition of a bad bet or just plain bad business. I would rather see us investing (in whatever form that may be) in nurturing obvious top class talent for the long term. That to me is a certainly a better view on investment though admittedly it would require some longevity in the boardroom to back it up.
IF YOU WAS HIS BOSS WOULD YOU LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT ?..
No you would not as it sends a bad signal to the rest of the work force
[quote][p][bold]Fernham Red[/bold] wrote: Den, I don't think we have invested enough effort to draw the line yet, that is my point. Your question suggests where should we cut our losses? The answer is simple enough. If we are short-term minded we get rid off him now; if we are long-term minded we invest in him more. I think this is broadly where our views differ. We are currently spending on Navarro, Cox, Benson, Williams (& possibly Rooney's contract paid up too). All for nil return (barring part payment of Benson's wages by Luton). That is my definition of a bad bet or just plain bad business. I would rather see us investing (in whatever form that may be) in nurturing obvious top class talent for the long term. That to me is a certainly a better view on investment though admittedly it would require some longevity in the boardroom to back it up.[/p][/quote]IF YOU WAS HIS BOSS WOULD YOU LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT ?.. No you would not as it sends a bad signal to the rest of the work force dazzastfc
  • Score: 4

5:45pm Fri 3 Jan 14

MARTINDOWDS says...

how many times must Ranger prove his inability to behave in a decent manner.
people on here saying give him another chance make me laugh.
he is a perenial waster and i am not counting the charge of rape as that is not proven yet.He has mediocre talent and is an ignorant human being.
i hope some of you meet him one day and tey and have a chat and then you will realise how vile a man he is.
The question should be why did Swindon waste time and effort to sign him in the first place.
oh i know he is like a Budgie.. Cheap Cheap Cheap..
how many times must Ranger prove his inability to behave in a decent manner. people on here saying give him another chance make me laugh. he is a perenial waster and i am not counting the charge of rape as that is not proven yet.He has mediocre talent and is an ignorant human being. i hope some of you meet him one day and tey and have a chat and then you will realise how vile a man he is. The question should be why did Swindon waste time and effort to sign him in the first place. oh i know he is like a Budgie.. Cheap Cheap Cheap.. MARTINDOWDS
  • Score: 2

5:52pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Tyran66 says...

Fernham Red wrote:
Den & Moonraker,

Thanks for your feedback. My main point here was that we (the club) decided to take the gamble on Nile in the first place. Nobody else wanted to because of all the signs but we took him on knowing all the history (well documented by Tyran66 above). We knew this was high risk/high reward but were ultimately happy to take the gamble.

Where other clubs have taken on "mercurial talent with a dark side", they've invested heavily in building a support network for that player to bring out the best and reduce the occurrence/magnitude of the bad. It's hard to see a lot of evidence of this from our club, aside from some fatherly words of advice and some time off. We're reaped the rewards of his talent on the field but are then keen to dump the guy when the less palatable side of his personality arises unchecked.

Some people need help to get better, not just a nod and a smile and a few words. In that regard I wouldn't say we have invested heavily in Nile's long term future (dealing with gambling and numerous other alleged misdemeanours). I don't therefore think we should expect him to self-fix his own issues given his past record or denigrate him for not morphing into a perfect professional. We knew what we signed up for (remember how many of us were against this in the first place) and we got it - the good and the bad - and we should either accept it (live with it) or do something about it (get the guy some help).

Sacking him is an admission that we (the club) got it wrong and in doing so have also failed in supporting someone who clearly needs friends more than he needs enemies.
He is a grown man, not a child (despite his actions). He should support himself. Why on earth should we support him just because he is a (mediocre) footballer?!

In retrospect its clear that STFC did make a mistake, as did Newcastle and Southampton before them (both of which are massive clubs). Its not a crime, unfortunate but sometime unavoidable. The smart and only thing for any sensible organisation to do it admit the mistake. Correct it, learn from it and don't repeat it.

We owe him nothing, he is employed to do a job which he is currently (entirely as a result of his own actions) incapable of doing.

The resolution?
A disciplinary hearing for gross misconduct and summary dismissal. Quite why his agent needs to be involved (he has no legal right to be whatsoever) is spurious.
[quote][p][bold]Fernham Red[/bold] wrote: Den & Moonraker, Thanks for your feedback. My main point here was that we (the club) decided to take the gamble on Nile in the first place. Nobody else wanted to because of all the signs but we took him on knowing all the history (well documented by Tyran66 above). We knew this was high risk/high reward but were ultimately happy to take the gamble. Where other clubs have taken on "mercurial talent with a dark side", they've invested heavily in building a support network for that player to bring out the best and reduce the occurrence/magnitude of the bad. It's hard to see a lot of evidence of this from our club, aside from some fatherly words of advice and some time off. We're reaped the rewards of his talent on the field but are then keen to dump the guy when the less palatable side of his personality arises unchecked. Some people need help to get better, not just a nod and a smile and a few words. In that regard I wouldn't say we have invested heavily in Nile's long term future (dealing with gambling and numerous other alleged misdemeanours). I don't therefore think we should expect him to self-fix his own issues given his past record or denigrate him for not morphing into a perfect professional. We knew what we signed up for (remember how many of us were against this in the first place) and we got it - the good and the bad - and we should either accept it (live with it) or do something about it (get the guy some help). Sacking him is an admission that we (the club) got it wrong and in doing so have also failed in supporting someone who clearly needs friends more than he needs enemies.[/p][/quote]He is a grown man, not a child (despite his actions). He should support himself. Why on earth should we support him just because he is a (mediocre) footballer?! In retrospect its clear that STFC did make a mistake, as did Newcastle and Southampton before them (both of which are massive clubs). Its not a crime, unfortunate but sometime unavoidable. The smart and only thing for any sensible organisation to do it admit the mistake. Correct it, learn from it and don't repeat it. We owe him nothing, he is employed to do a job which he is currently (entirely as a result of his own actions) incapable of doing. The resolution? A disciplinary hearing for gross misconduct and summary dismissal. Quite why his agent needs to be involved (he has no legal right to be whatsoever) is spurious. Tyran66
  • Score: 5

5:55pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Tyran66 says...

P.S who doesn't need more friends than enemies? The number of each are directly proportionate to ones own actions. Something he will come to realise once he reaches mental maturity.
P.S who doesn't need more friends than enemies? The number of each are directly proportionate to ones own actions. Something he will come to realise once he reaches mental maturity. Tyran66
  • Score: 2

6:21pm Fri 3 Jan 14

smirg kcab says...

After all the comments above he has still worked harder than Navarro troy and cox put together
After all the comments above he has still worked harder than Navarro troy and cox put together smirg kcab
  • Score: 1

6:34pm Fri 3 Jan 14

BournemouthRobin says...

Happy New Year folks !!
Happy New Year folks !! BournemouthRobin
  • Score: 1

6:39pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Swindon Crier says...

Leopard. Spots. Know what I mean
Leopard. Spots. Know what I mean Swindon Crier
  • Score: -1

9:03pm Fri 3 Jan 14

uruguay whitey the red says...

the potless jed took the punt on him,he told all in the Tap that he was here just till the courtcase.admitted he knew nothing of the lads character!.
the potless jed took the punt on him,he told all in the Tap that he was here just till the courtcase.admitted he knew nothing of the lads character!. uruguay whitey the red
  • Score: 0

9:14pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Di kanny oh says...

Some one is telling porkies because Ranger has twatted that he's been sacked and that was on yesterday's twitter, he obviously did not know that meeting was cancelled or is pre empting the outcome. May be he wanted the sack and knew the outcome of his Court Case. Agree with many others a vile human being with no regard for anyone and thinks he's some sort of gangster. One massively furked up dude. Good footballer though.
Some one is telling porkies because Ranger has twatted that he's been sacked and that was on yesterday's twitter, he obviously did not know that meeting was cancelled or is pre empting the outcome. May be he wanted the sack and knew the outcome of his Court Case. Agree with many others a vile human being with no regard for anyone and thinks he's some sort of gangster. One massively furked up dude. Good footballer though. Di kanny oh
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree