Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
UPDATED: Town release Ranger statement
Updated 12:09am Thursday 13th February 2014 in Sport
SWINDON Town have this evening released a statement regarding striker Nile Ranger.
Ranger is believed to have been arrested in Newcastle in the early hours of this morning on suspicion of breaking bail conditions imposed on him ahead of his upcoming rape trial, a charge he denies. Ranger has since been released after appearing at Newcastle Magistrates Court.
As part of his bail the forward was told not to enter a Northumbria police force area unless to meet with his legal team to prepare for the trial.
However, Town have now released a statement insisting Ranger was in the north east to meet with his representatives and had been given permission to do so by the club.
The statement reads: "Following earlier media reports, Swindon Town can confirm that Nile Ranger has not been found to be in breach of any of his bail conditions.
"Nile was given permission by the club to have time off yesterday and today to consult with his legal counsel up in Newcastle ahead of his upcoming court case.
"This consultation was due to resume today. He is expected to return to the Club tomorrow, as previously agreed.
"The club will not be making any further comment on this matter.
A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: "A 22-year-old man has been arrested in Newcastle City Centre in the early hours of Wednesday February 12 on suspicion of breaching bail conditions.
"He appeared at Newcastle Magistrates' Court yesterday morning and was readmitted on conditional bail until his crown court hearing."
Comments are closed on this article.