Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text SWINDON NEWS to 80360 or email us
Quaddus gets Eubank chance
TARIQ Quaddus could be in line to spar middleweight contender Chris Eubank junior next week.
The 23-year-old super-middleweight is preparing for his clash with Jamie Ambler in a fortnight’s time and the opportunity has arisen for him to step into the ring with one the country’s rising stars of the sport.
Quaddus’s trainer Rich Farnan said: “It will be a hard spar for Tariq and I know that he will gain so much from it.
“We are due to head down to Brighton on Wednesday, providing Tariq can get the day off work.”
Farnan also said that he hopes that his IBO super-middleweight inter-continental champion Kelvin Young will get to work with the son of the former two-weight kingpin in future camps.
“Kelvin has done his sparring for this camp, but we definitely would like to gain some experience with Eubank Jnr,” Farnan said. “I can’t thank Ronnie (Davies, Eubank Jnr’s trainer) enough for inviting us down.”
Meanwhile, Ryan Martin’s professional career has been put on hold again after a hand injury forced him to withdraw from his June 7 fight.
The 20-year-old was set to face Brighton’s Kevin McCauley at the Oasis Leisure Centre on the undercard of Kelvin Young’s first defence of his IBO super-middleweight inter-continental title.
However, the hand injury which forced him to withdraw from a fight in Gloucester last month has put paid to the former Walcot and England amateur from making his second outing in the paid ranks again. He needs an operation to correct the problem and he could be out for another two months.
Martin’s manager Keith Mayo said: “It’s a sickener for Ryan. He has got something like a cyst on his hand and he just can’t punch.”
Mayo has moved quickly to replace Martin on the June 7 bill, with Southampton’s knock-out specialist Joe Pigford stepping up to take his place.
Comments are closed on this article.