Purton Reserves scored twice in the final five minutes as they battled back from a two-goal half-time deficit to claim a dramatic 3-2 home victory over Southbrook.

The home side struggled to get going at the start of the match before going in behind at half-time, but some stern words at the break were soon rewarded as Devon Bryan slotted home an early penalty at the start of the second period.

As time ticked on it looked as if Purton would have to go home empty handed, but in the 89th minute Billy Sly managed to thread a shot through five Southbrook defenders on the line to level the scores.

With four minutes of stoppage time added on the home side sensed they could claim an unlikely victory, and after throwing men forward they were rewarded with a dramatic late winner.

Boss Albert Dearing was proud of his side’s comeback, but admitted he did not expect to come away with any points after their first-half display.

“To be fair they totally deserved to be winning at half-time because we just didn’t get going,” he said.

“If we carried on playing the way we did then I think we may have ended up losing 4-0, and we would probably have taken a point to be honest.

“But some thing were said at the break and we responded well, and I was pleased with things in the second half.

“Scoring so early through the penalty really helped us, and once we had equalised we were told we had four minutes of injury time, and we managed to get a winner.”

The victory puts Purton second in the Premier Division table, two points behind Chippenham Park but with three games in hand.

Despite their advantage, Dearing is keen to keep his players focused on the next game rather than their lofty position.

“We are really pleased with how we are doing, especially considering the only really came together in the summer,” he said.

“We have made a good start, but that is all it is, a start, and we have to keep going.

“It is an old cliche I know but we really do have to focus on the next game which is against Bradford.

“If we start talking about how many games we have in hand and things like that then we are going to lose our focus.”

Chippenham beat Trowbridge to keep hold of their place at the top of the league, while Wilts Calne Town moved into third, one point behind Purton, with a 10-2 victory over lowly Beversbrook.

Bottom side Vale of Pewsey lost 4-1 at Corsham, while RGV Shrewton moved to only one point behind Marlborough after a 2-0 victory in the two sides’ game at the weekend.

Of the three games played in Division One, Malmesbury were the biggest winners thanks to their 5-1 success at home to Marlborough Reserves.

The win closes the gap to the unbeaten Madames at the top of the league to 10 points, while Chippenham Park Reserves are two points further back after their 3-0 win at Intel.

In the week’s other game, Wootton Bassett Town Dev beat Wilton Town 2-1 to move fifth.