SWINDON TOWN: Di Canio will consider more loan signings

Paolo Di Canio

Paolo Di Canio

First published in Sport Swindon Advertiser: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy sports editor, awarren@swindonadvertiser.co.uk, @AndyWarren_

PAOLO Di Canio is looking at the possibility of further loan signings to keep his current squad on their toes.

The Italian enjoyed a busy end to the summer transfer window as he brought in four players in the final two days before the deadline, but he is still keen on providing greater competition for a number of players within his ranks.

The emergency loan window opened for Football League clubs on September 8, and Di Canio is continuing his search for players as he looks to plot a return to winning ways after a run of four games without a win.

“I am open, even if we said last time the players we brought in were enough for me,” he said.

“Why not one or two emergency loans if I really think that these players are the players that can help us in some way?

“Maybe not the top players because they are difficult to find now, but maybe a player that gives me another option and gives a challenge for some players. Why not?

“There is someone that I looked at already.”

As well as looking at the possibility of bringing new players into his squad, the Italian would also be willing to allow a number of players already at the club to make temporary moves away from the County Ground in a bid to gain first-team football.

“It can be possible that one or two move for regular football if they have the chance, and show me they can come back with some more confidence. Under me I know it is tough, and it might be better to release the stiffness because not everybody can handle the situation, so maybe one month or two months.

“They can get more confidence and maybe see where we are in one month or two month’s time.”

But while Di Canio would be willing to loan some of his players out, he revealed not one of his current squad have asked for a spell away from the club.

“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave,” he said.

“Swindon is the best club in League One, and they know that under me they can improve straight away and for the future.

“I will tell someone that if they want to go and play and come back more strong and more confident, and in some way they need to elaborate and go and play without me every day.

“Then when they come back they will know what is going on and feel more ready for this level under Paolo Di Canio.”

Meanwhile, Town fans who travelled to the club’s game at Carlisle have been offered free coach travel to an away match later in the season to compensate them after many arrived late at Brunton Park due to traffic problems on the M6.

The game will be selected by the club at a later date, and fans are asked to retain their ticket stubs to claim their free travel.

Finally, Town are expected to learn how much they will have to pay Shrewsbury for striker James Collins when a tribunal makes a decision on the final fee later this week.

Comments (45)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:41am Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" - Exactly!
.
As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore
.
A couple of loans out to get games and confidence could be a good idea - but who are the "fringe" players that this could apply to?
.
Other than Thompson and Storey - I can't see many others as being on the fringes this year (showing the better structure)
.
The likes of Miller and Navarro are too old etc to go on loan
.
Then the likes of RDV have been playin a lot this year
.
You also can't loan out loans so no to Bostock or Ward etc
.
The only one I could see potentially fitting this bill is Flint with Troy back
“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" - Exactly! . As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore . A couple of loans out to get games and confidence could be a good idea - but who are the "fringe" players that this could apply to? . Other than Thompson and Storey - I can't see many others as being on the fringes this year (showing the better structure) . The likes of Miller and Navarro are too old etc to go on loan . Then the likes of RDV have been playin a lot this year . You also can't loan out loans so no to Bostock or Ward etc . The only one I could see potentially fitting this bill is Flint with Troy back London Red
  • Score: 0

7:20am Tue 18 Sep 12

stokes_stfc says...

London Red wrote:
“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" - Exactly!
.
As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore
.
A couple of loans out to get games and confidence could be a good idea - but who are the "fringe" players that this could apply to?
.
Other than Thompson and Storey - I can't see many others as being on the fringes this year (showing the better structure)
.
The likes of Miller and Navarro are too old etc to go on loan
.
Then the likes of RDV have been playin a lot this year
.
You also can't loan out loans so no to Bostock or Ward etc
.
The only one I could see potentially fitting this bill is Flint with Troy back
maybe luke rooney?
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: “It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" - Exactly! . As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore . A couple of loans out to get games and confidence could be a good idea - but who are the "fringe" players that this could apply to? . Other than Thompson and Storey - I can't see many others as being on the fringes this year (showing the better structure) . The likes of Miller and Navarro are too old etc to go on loan . Then the likes of RDV have been playin a lot this year . You also can't loan out loans so no to Bostock or Ward etc . The only one I could see potentially fitting this bill is Flint with Troy back[/p][/quote]maybe luke rooney? stokes_stfc
  • Score: 0

7:27am Tue 18 Sep 12

Helpme234 says...

I'm struggling with the above article LR!

Do you think it's time for PDC to evaluate which is his best 11 and give them the time to play together and get used to each other?

Bring on subs for impact or injuries or dramatic loss of form, but otherwise give them time to settle.
I'm struggling with the above article LR! Do you think it's time for PDC to evaluate which is his best 11 and give them the time to play together and get used to each other? Bring on subs for impact or injuries or dramatic loss of form, but otherwise give them time to settle. Helpme234
  • Score: 0

7:27am Tue 18 Sep 12

KojaktheWarg says...

Yes, possibly Luke R.

Lets hope for a great performance tonight ahead of saturdays game so they come back on a high.
Yes, possibly Luke R. Lets hope for a great performance tonight ahead of saturdays game so they come back on a high. KojaktheWarg
  • Score: 0

7:28am Tue 18 Sep 12

old town robin says...

London Red wrote:
“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" - Exactly!
.
As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore
.
A couple of loans out to get games and confidence could be a good idea - but who are the "fringe" players that this could apply to?
.
Other than Thompson and Storey - I can't see many others as being on the fringes this year (showing the better structure)
.
The likes of Miller and Navarro are too old etc to go on loan
.
Then the likes of RDV have been playin a lot this year
.
You also can't loan out loans so no to Bostock or Ward etc
.
The only one I could see potentially fitting this bill is Flint with Troy back
You may be right with Storey, can't see Nathan Thompson being loaned out though, he's our only cover for right back. I think Luke Rooney could possibly be loaned out, he's not going to get much of a chance with Roberts and de Vita in front of him.

If Paolo is looking for additional loanees to bring in, I would think it would have to be a goalie to cover Wes or/and a right back to replace Caddis. 8 goals conceded in last 4 games, no away win in the league since Easter, 1 point from last 9 isn't good enough! The back 4 are not a settled unit. 2 more sloopy goals conceded Saturday and Paolo isn't going to put up with this for too much longer, he needs a better right back than Devera, (not saying he was responsible for goals conceded, but he doesn't have much to offer going forward), would like to see Thompson given a start tonight. In the middle who is the best to partner Troy, macca isn't playing as well as he did last year, is it the burden of captaincy or the fact it's not his natural position to play in div 1. Jury still out on Ward, not seen him to make an opinion, Flint with his height has alot to offer, but if we need a leader at the back I would think it would be a straight choice between macca and Ward, only those who saw the pairing at Carlise can say how they played together, but I would have thought both are a little too similar to play together regularly at the back.

I think many of us were surprised Bostock and Flint weren't even on the bench against Carlisle. But after watching the Orient game, the team looked mentally if not physically tired after 3 games in 6 days, so I'm more inclined to think we might see Bostock get a runout at pompey tonight as Paolo will be resting players and rotating them to utilise his squad as we continue to play games every 3 days.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: “It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" - Exactly! . As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore . A couple of loans out to get games and confidence could be a good idea - but who are the "fringe" players that this could apply to? . Other than Thompson and Storey - I can't see many others as being on the fringes this year (showing the better structure) . The likes of Miller and Navarro are too old etc to go on loan . Then the likes of RDV have been playin a lot this year . You also can't loan out loans so no to Bostock or Ward etc . The only one I could see potentially fitting this bill is Flint with Troy back[/p][/quote]You may be right with Storey, can't see Nathan Thompson being loaned out though, he's our only cover for right back. I think Luke Rooney could possibly be loaned out, he's not going to get much of a chance with Roberts and de Vita in front of him. If Paolo is looking for additional loanees to bring in, I would think it would have to be a goalie to cover Wes or/and a right back to replace Caddis. 8 goals conceded in last 4 games, no away win in the league since Easter, 1 point from last 9 isn't good enough! The back 4 are not a settled unit. 2 more sloopy goals conceded Saturday and Paolo isn't going to put up with this for too much longer, he needs a better right back than Devera, (not saying he was responsible for goals conceded, but he doesn't have much to offer going forward), would like to see Thompson given a start tonight. In the middle who is the best to partner Troy, macca isn't playing as well as he did last year, is it the burden of captaincy or the fact it's not his natural position to play in div 1. Jury still out on Ward, not seen him to make an opinion, Flint with his height has alot to offer, but if we need a leader at the back I would think it would be a straight choice between macca and Ward, only those who saw the pairing at Carlise can say how they played together, but I would have thought both are a little too similar to play together regularly at the back. I think many of us were surprised Bostock and Flint weren't even on the bench against Carlisle. But after watching the Orient game, the team looked mentally if not physically tired after 3 games in 6 days, so I'm more inclined to think we might see Bostock get a runout at pompey tonight as Paolo will be resting players and rotating them to utilise his squad as we continue to play games every 3 days. old town robin
  • Score: 0

7:35am Tue 18 Sep 12

avo says...

That paolo di canio is a right **** isn't he?
.
"Nobody wants to leave" love it!
.
Then again he's hardly going to say he has players knocking on his door begging for an exit is he?
That paolo di canio is a right **** isn't he? . "Nobody wants to leave" love it! . Then again he's hardly going to say he has players knocking on his door begging for an exit is he? avo
  • Score: 0

7:45am Tue 18 Sep 12

LionelHutz says...

So what happens if the club doesn't agree with the James Collins valuation? Does he go back to Shrewsbury/
So what happens if the club doesn't agree with the James Collins valuation? Does he go back to Shrewsbury/ LionelHutz
  • Score: 0

7:54am Tue 18 Sep 12

old town robin says...

LionelHutz wrote:
So what happens if the club doesn't agree with the James Collins valuation? Does he go back to Shrewsbury/
Most clubs prefer to get deals sorted before it gets to a tribunial, the fee is usually set somewhere between what the sellers valuation is and the buyers. In Collins case considering his age and he hadn't done too much before last season, I would have thought the fee will be agreed at around £150k, wheter that would include sell on clauses, I don't know.

In answer to your question, No, he will not be going back to Shrews, we will have to pay whatever fee is decided.
[quote][p][bold]LionelHutz[/bold] wrote: So what happens if the club doesn't agree with the James Collins valuation? Does he go back to Shrewsbury/[/p][/quote]Most clubs prefer to get deals sorted before it gets to a tribunial, the fee is usually set somewhere between what the sellers valuation is and the buyers. In Collins case considering his age and he hadn't done too much before last season, I would have thought the fee will be agreed at around £150k, wheter that would include sell on clauses, I don't know. In answer to your question, No, he will not be going back to Shrews, we will have to pay whatever fee is decided. old town robin
  • Score: 0

8:07am Tue 18 Sep 12

Stilloyal says...

Paolo reads this forum :-)
Paolo reads this forum :-) Stilloyal
  • Score: 0

8:10am Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

Totally forgot about Rooney when posting - he is probably the number 1 candidate! Games will probably do him good too
.
Helpme - I've said it before and I'll say it again - this rotation speal is totally overplayed and in most cases is totally incorrect
.
Yes we had big changes for the JPT (but typically for town fans) they ask for that and then comian when it happens!
.
If you take the league then we are extremely stable - especially in defence
.
Wes 6/6
Devera 6/6
Macca 6/6
Flint 4/6
McEveley 5/6 (injury only preventing 6)
.
You can even go into midfield and attack and you get even more stability
.
Miller 6/6
RDV 5/6
Ritchie 5/6 (injury only stopping 6)
Williams 6/6
Collins 4/6
.
5 ever presents and 3 only missing 1 game - with 2 of them injury and possibly the 3rd as we don't know about RDV
.
My point was we now have a squad of 25 so even if we loan a few out we will be left with at least 21/22 top quality players who can slip in an out - so we shouldn't need more
.
PdC wants to model us on the great Milan side of the 90s where they had 2 in each spot and manager in Capello who was not afraid to switch things to ensure they were always firing
.
I personally think it will be better now to make sure everyone of those 22 know they will get a shot and keep the shirt if performing
.
That is more likely to keep them on their toes than another new face
.
Collins will be fired up to know he could take Williams spot if he fails to score - likewise Williams will be onhis toes if he knows he will lose his spot etc
.
I always have felt it should be 3 games - if a striker doesn't score or 3 in a row he comes out and another comes in and so on. Each time they score the counter is restarted
.
However, as said if a player like Nick Powell was offered to us then we would have to take him - but it has to be a situation like that for me
Totally forgot about Rooney when posting - he is probably the number 1 candidate! Games will probably do him good too . Helpme - I've said it before and I'll say it again - this rotation speal is totally overplayed and in most cases is totally incorrect . Yes we had big changes for the JPT (but typically for town fans) they ask for that and then comian when it happens! . If you take the league then we are extremely stable - especially in defence . Wes 6/6 Devera 6/6 Macca 6/6 Flint 4/6 McEveley 5/6 (injury only preventing 6) . You can even go into midfield and attack and you get even more stability . Miller 6/6 RDV 5/6 Ritchie 5/6 (injury only stopping 6) Williams 6/6 Collins 4/6 . 5 ever presents and 3 only missing 1 game - with 2 of them injury and possibly the 3rd as we don't know about RDV . My point was we now have a squad of 25 so even if we loan a few out we will be left with at least 21/22 top quality players who can slip in an out - so we shouldn't need more . PdC wants to model us on the great Milan side of the 90s where they had 2 in each spot and manager in Capello who was not afraid to switch things to ensure they were always firing . I personally think it will be better now to make sure everyone of those 22 know they will get a shot and keep the shirt if performing . That is more likely to keep them on their toes than another new face . Collins will be fired up to know he could take Williams spot if he fails to score - likewise Williams will be onhis toes if he knows he will lose his spot etc . I always have felt it should be 3 games - if a striker doesn't score or 3 in a row he comes out and another comes in and so on. Each time they score the counter is restarted . However, as said if a player like Nick Powell was offered to us then we would have to take him - but it has to be a situation like that for me London Red
  • Score: 0

8:15am Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

I don't think the fee will be as high as £150k as players like Bodin and Ellis only moved for £70k or £80k so can't see Collins being double that
.
Tribunals are never normally that high - which is why most sellers don't want to go there! But will put in a big sell on or promotion clause
I don't think the fee will be as high as £150k as players like Bodin and Ellis only moved for £70k or £80k so can't see Collins being double that . Tribunals are never normally that high - which is why most sellers don't want to go there! But will put in a big sell on or promotion clause London Red
  • Score: 0

8:46am Tue 18 Sep 12

old town robin says...

London Red wrote:
I don't think the fee will be as high as £150k as players like Bodin and Ellis only moved for £70k or £80k so can't see Collins being double that
.
Tribunals are never normally that high - which is why most sellers don't want to go there! But will put in a big sell on or promotion clause
LR, Admitted, we may not have changed the line up at the back for the first 6 league games too much, but we're anything but stable in defence, 8 goals conceded in 4 games versus the same amount in 16 games last season. Something is not right at the back and Paolo know's it.

Yes, agreed, Paolo has tried to keep the same line up where possible, but unfortunately it isn't working when we are leaking on average two goals a game, that is the same sloppy stats we were losing games under the hapless Wilson. I don't profess to know what our best back 4 is, but I do have the opinion that Joe is not good enough at RB, he is a good CB, but at best an average full back. I think we will soon either see Thompson emerge as first choice or maybe try Besonne there, (he does seem good with both feet), or an additional loanee brought in. The position Paolo is looking at is not mentioned, but if one looks at the team as a whole it would seem to me RB is a weak link and not having a third goal-keeper is to say the least risky, so this could be the area to improve or strengthen by looking at additional loanees.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: I don't think the fee will be as high as £150k as players like Bodin and Ellis only moved for £70k or £80k so can't see Collins being double that . Tribunals are never normally that high - which is why most sellers don't want to go there! But will put in a big sell on or promotion clause[/p][/quote]LR, Admitted, we may not have changed the line up at the back for the first 6 league games too much, but we're anything but stable in defence, 8 goals conceded in 4 games versus the same amount in 16 games last season. Something is not right at the back and Paolo know's it. Yes, agreed, Paolo has tried to keep the same line up where possible, but unfortunately it isn't working when we are leaking on average two goals a game, that is the same sloppy stats we were losing games under the hapless Wilson. I don't profess to know what our best back 4 is, but I do have the opinion that Joe is not good enough at RB, he is a good CB, but at best an average full back. I think we will soon either see Thompson emerge as first choice or maybe try Besonne there, (he does seem good with both feet), or an additional loanee brought in. The position Paolo is looking at is not mentioned, but if one looks at the team as a whole it would seem to me RB is a weak link and not having a third goal-keeper is to say the least risky, so this could be the area to improve or strengthen by looking at additional loanees. old town robin
  • Score: 0

8:59am Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

OTR - by stable I meant personnel wise rather than quality wise
.
However, I do find it is strange that that back 5 kept 5 clean sheets in a row - only then to conceed 8 in 4!
.
Especially as 90% of the goals are down to individual errors - why have they suddenly seemed to have lost that level of concentration or composure etc?
.
I personally would keep Devera at RB for the next few games as defensively he is fine - the he's not good enough has only resurfaced since the cleansheets dried up - even though he has not been at fault for any of them!
.
We have 4 midfielders and 2 strikers to attack so shouldn't really need an RB on top - Maldini is the greatest LB ever yet he was not an attacking force!
.
The main reason I would do that is by making changes elsewhere we don't want too many at once
.
I would therefore, bring Troy back in for Macca who has been poor for a few games now
.
Then once he and Ward have had a chance to settle (and providing they are working well) we could then consider making changes to RB if required - with either Thompson or Bessone coming in
.
However - if we do change it and Thompson doesn't play then he should be sold/released as it will be obvious he has no future here!
OTR - by stable I meant personnel wise rather than quality wise . However, I do find it is strange that that back 5 kept 5 clean sheets in a row - only then to conceed 8 in 4! . Especially as 90% of the goals are down to individual errors - why have they suddenly seemed to have lost that level of concentration or composure etc? . I personally would keep Devera at RB for the next few games as defensively he is fine - the he's not good enough has only resurfaced since the cleansheets dried up - even though he has not been at fault for any of them! . We have 4 midfielders and 2 strikers to attack so shouldn't really need an RB on top - Maldini is the greatest LB ever yet he was not an attacking force! . The main reason I would do that is by making changes elsewhere we don't want too many at once . I would therefore, bring Troy back in for Macca who has been poor for a few games now . Then once he and Ward have had a chance to settle (and providing they are working well) we could then consider making changes to RB if required - with either Thompson or Bessone coming in . However - if we do change it and Thompson doesn't play then he should be sold/released as it will be obvious he has no future here! London Red
  • Score: 0

9:05am Tue 18 Sep 12

mrclick says...

Idea - is he struggling with Macca, he hasn't been anywhere need the player he was last year so far this term. Also with this high ball pressure we seem to be getting and a little bit more quality in this league is he good enough at centre back? So what does he do play either Ward, Flint or Troy then move Macca into midfield who would he replace there?
Tough call - I'd leave him where he is but PDC moved him out in the Oxford game.
Agreed we do need a good right back Devera to in and out of games at the moment, we're conceding far to many goals at present. Must also be looking for a keeper I'd say
Idea - is he struggling with Macca, he hasn't been anywhere need the player he was last year so far this term. Also with this high ball pressure we seem to be getting and a little bit more quality in this league is he good enough at centre back? So what does he do play either Ward, Flint or Troy then move Macca into midfield who would he replace there? Tough call - I'd leave him where he is but PDC moved him out in the Oxford game. Agreed we do need a good right back Devera to in and out of games at the moment, we're conceding far to many goals at present. Must also be looking for a keeper I'd say mrclick
  • Score: 0

9:25am Tue 18 Sep 12

Oi Den! says...

Big test tonight. If we can grind out a hard fought win it will show that the mentality problem is being sorted out and we are coming out of the mini- slump.
Big test tonight. If we can grind out a hard fought win it will show that the mentality problem is being sorted out and we are coming out of the mini- slump. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

9:26am Tue 18 Sep 12

old town robin says...

LR, re : Devera, you're probably right that he will continue at RB, but remember this article is about bringing in an additional loanee or two and my opinion looking at the team we have, RB is the position that needs to be strengthened and additional goal keeper because we would be at risk, should Wes get injured.

Devera had a very below par game against Orient and was partially to blame for the goal conceded because he was no where near Cook when he scored. Having said that I know he is capable to be better than that performance and the fact he kept his place against Carlisle I'm sure for the time being at least Paolo will keep him as first choice and agree with you probably too many changes at once may not be a good thing to do.
LR, re : Devera, you're probably right that he will continue at RB, but remember this article is about bringing in an additional loanee or two and my opinion looking at the team we have, RB is the position that needs to be strengthened and additional goal keeper because we would be at risk, should Wes get injured. Devera had a very below par game against Orient and was partially to blame for the goal conceded because he was no where near Cook when he scored. Having said that I know he is capable to be better than that performance and the fact he kept his place against Carlisle I'm sure for the time being at least Paolo will keep him as first choice and agree with you probably too many changes at once may not be a good thing to do. old town robin
  • Score: 0

9:26am Tue 18 Sep 12

old town robin says...

LR, re : Devera, you're probably right that he will continue at RB, but remember this article is about bringing in an additional loanee or two and my opinion looking at the team we have, RB is the position that needs to be strengthened and additional goal keeper because we would be at risk, should Wes get injured.

Devera had a very below par game against Orient and was partially to blame for the goal conceded because he was no where near Cook when he scored. Having said that I know he is capable to be better than that performance and the fact he kept his place against Carlisle I'm sure for the time being at least Paolo will keep him as first choice and agree with you probably too many changes at once may not be a good thing to do.
LR, re : Devera, you're probably right that he will continue at RB, but remember this article is about bringing in an additional loanee or two and my opinion looking at the team we have, RB is the position that needs to be strengthened and additional goal keeper because we would be at risk, should Wes get injured. Devera had a very below par game against Orient and was partially to blame for the goal conceded because he was no where near Cook when he scored. Having said that I know he is capable to be better than that performance and the fact he kept his place against Carlisle I'm sure for the time being at least Paolo will keep him as first choice and agree with you probably too many changes at once may not be a good thing to do. old town robin
  • Score: 0

9:44am Tue 18 Sep 12

stanharlands6shirt says...

Nice to know that no one wants to leave and hopefully that means the squad is becoming tighter knit as well.

However Paul Caddis did not want to leave either and wanted to stay right up until he was sent out on loan...

At the time Paolo must have believed he could cover that position, so no worries and no reconcilliation.

Hindsight is something I'm sure we wish we all had, including Paolo, but in my opinion we shot ourselves right in the right foot and in the league have been limping as a team down what was our strongest attacking side, almost every game since he was loaned out.

Joe Devera has tried hard in Paul's position and it is too his credit that he has done as well as he has.

However, he is no Paul Caddis and he is not a full back.

So for me the only logical position that Paolo can really be looking to bring in a new addition, is right back.

How I wish we could bring Caddis back from his loan and get that right side working properly again, both going forwards and backwards.

I enjoy the way Paolo motivates our players, but on this one subject I for the life of me cannot understand how he can have let such quality leave our side.
Nice to know that no one wants to leave and hopefully that means the squad is becoming tighter knit as well. However Paul Caddis did not want to leave either and wanted to stay right up until he was sent out on loan... At the time Paolo must have believed he could cover that position, so no worries and no reconcilliation. Hindsight is something I'm sure we wish we all had, including Paolo, but in my opinion we shot ourselves right in the right foot and in the league have been limping as a team down what was our strongest attacking side, almost every game since he was loaned out. Joe Devera has tried hard in Paul's position and it is too his credit that he has done as well as he has. However, he is no Paul Caddis and he is not a full back. So for me the only logical position that Paolo can really be looking to bring in a new addition, is right back. How I wish we could bring Caddis back from his loan and get that right side working properly again, both going forwards and backwards. I enjoy the way Paolo motivates our players, but on this one subject I for the life of me cannot understand how he can have let such quality leave our side. stanharlands6shirt
  • Score: 0

9:50am Tue 18 Sep 12

Is that you Lovesey says...

I haven't read any of the above comments, but I say NO NO NO, we don't need any more players, we have the best squad in this league, look at our bench on Saturday most of those players will walk into any team in league 1, what we need is to get back to the team spirit shown in pre season and the first couple of games. It seems that IMO Caddis departure rocked the apple cart and 5 new players took the places of people who were doing well.
I haven't read any of the above comments, but I say NO NO NO, we don't need any more players, we have the best squad in this league, look at our bench on Saturday most of those players will walk into any team in league 1, what we need is to get back to the team spirit shown in pre season and the first couple of games. It seems that IMO Caddis departure rocked the apple cart and 5 new players took the places of people who were doing well. Is that you Lovesey
  • Score: 0

10:11am Tue 18 Sep 12

jamesturner says...

Helpme234 wrote:
I'm struggling with the above article LR!

Do you think it's time for PDC to evaluate which is his best 11 and give them the time to play together and get used to each other?

Bring on subs for impact or injuries or dramatic loss of form, but otherwise give them time to settle.
Absolutely correct.The squad rotation at our level is being overplayed and a settled side will bring dividends.The defence has been unsettled by the sudden Caddis departure and repeated changes at central defence.The squad is basically good enough to achieve this season so lets give a bit of confidence to them.
[quote][p][bold]Helpme234[/bold] wrote: I'm struggling with the above article LR! Do you think it's time for PDC to evaluate which is his best 11 and give them the time to play together and get used to each other? Bring on subs for impact or injuries or dramatic loss of form, but otherwise give them time to settle.[/p][/quote]Absolutely correct.The squad rotation at our level is being overplayed and a settled side will bring dividends.The defence has been unsettled by the sudden Caddis departure and repeated changes at central defence.The squad is basically good enough to achieve this season so lets give a bit of confidence to them. jamesturner
  • Score: 0

10:22am Tue 18 Sep 12

Oi Den! says...

stanharlands6shirt wrote:
Nice to know that no one wants to leave and hopefully that means the squad is becoming tighter knit as well.

However Paul Caddis did not want to leave either and wanted to stay right up until he was sent out on loan...

At the time Paolo must have believed he could cover that position, so no worries and no reconcilliation.

Hindsight is something I'm sure we wish we all had, including Paolo, but in my opinion we shot ourselves right in the right foot and in the league have been limping as a team down what was our strongest attacking side, almost every game since he was loaned out.

Joe Devera has tried hard in Paul's position and it is too his credit that he has done as well as he has.

However, he is no Paul Caddis and he is not a full back.

So for me the only logical position that Paolo can really be looking to bring in a new addition, is right back.

How I wish we could bring Caddis back from his loan and get that right side working properly again, both going forwards and backwards.

I enjoy the way Paolo motivates our players, but on this one subject I for the life of me cannot understand how he can have let such quality leave our side.
Stan, we do miss Caddis's attacking play but I think Devera is the better defender. I believe that is the crux of why PDC was happy to see Caddis go after they'd had their fall-out. A decent winger can have a field day against Caddis, who also struggles in the air. PDC maybe stubborn but he is not stupid. If he had rated Caddis that highly as a right back, I believe he would have made sure there was a reconciliation. Although I agree that Devera is not the ideal replacement, I think he has done enough to prove that he's a very useful member of the sqaud - if not good enough to be first choice right back, certainly good enough to fill in in emergencies. Incidentally, I did not want to see Caddis go either, but I see him more as a midfielder than a defender.
[quote][p][bold]stanharlands6shirt[/bold] wrote: Nice to know that no one wants to leave and hopefully that means the squad is becoming tighter knit as well. However Paul Caddis did not want to leave either and wanted to stay right up until he was sent out on loan... At the time Paolo must have believed he could cover that position, so no worries and no reconcilliation. Hindsight is something I'm sure we wish we all had, including Paolo, but in my opinion we shot ourselves right in the right foot and in the league have been limping as a team down what was our strongest attacking side, almost every game since he was loaned out. Joe Devera has tried hard in Paul's position and it is too his credit that he has done as well as he has. However, he is no Paul Caddis and he is not a full back. So for me the only logical position that Paolo can really be looking to bring in a new addition, is right back. How I wish we could bring Caddis back from his loan and get that right side working properly again, both going forwards and backwards. I enjoy the way Paolo motivates our players, but on this one subject I for the life of me cannot understand how he can have let such quality leave our side.[/p][/quote]Stan, we do miss Caddis's attacking play but I think Devera is the better defender. I believe that is the crux of why PDC was happy to see Caddis go after they'd had their fall-out. A decent winger can have a field day against Caddis, who also struggles in the air. PDC maybe stubborn but he is not stupid. If he had rated Caddis that highly as a right back, I believe he would have made sure there was a reconciliation. Although I agree that Devera is not the ideal replacement, I think he has done enough to prove that he's a very useful member of the sqaud - if not good enough to be first choice right back, certainly good enough to fill in in emergencies. Incidentally, I did not want to see Caddis go either, but I see him more as a midfielder than a defender. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

10:25am Tue 18 Sep 12

Rhs Boydy says...

London Red wrote:
OTR - by stable I meant personnel wise rather than quality wise . However, I do find it is strange that that back 5 kept 5 clean sheets in a row - only then to conceed 8 in 4! . Especially as 90% of the goals are down to individual errors - why have they suddenly seemed to have lost that level of concentration or composure etc? . I personally would keep Devera at RB for the next few games as defensively he is fine - the he's not good enough has only resurfaced since the cleansheets dried up - even though he has not been at fault for any of them! . We have 4 midfielders and 2 strikers to attack so shouldn't really need an RB on top - Maldini is the greatest LB ever yet he was not an attacking force! . The main reason I would do that is by making changes elsewhere we don't want too many at once . I would therefore, bring Troy back in for Macca who has been poor for a few games now . Then once he and Ward have had a chance to settle (and providing they are working well) we could then consider making changes to RB if required - with either Thompson or Bessone coming in . However - if we do change it and Thompson doesn't play then he should be sold/released as it will be obvious he has no future here!
Devera was so far out of position for Preston's 2nd the guy had 20 yards of free space and they scored because of it. Then he was out of position again for Orient's goal.
Both of which suprised me because I thought last season his biggest strengh was his positioning. Though maybe it's down to the fact he's used to playing centre back and drifts naturally into those areas. If that's the case then Thompson or another natural right back needs to be playing asap as we don't need any more cheap goals conceded.
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: OTR - by stable I meant personnel wise rather than quality wise . However, I do find it is strange that that back 5 kept 5 clean sheets in a row - only then to conceed 8 in 4! . Especially as 90% of the goals are down to individual errors - why have they suddenly seemed to have lost that level of concentration or composure etc? . I personally would keep Devera at RB for the next few games as defensively he is fine - the he's not good enough has only resurfaced since the cleansheets dried up - even though he has not been at fault for any of them! . We have 4 midfielders and 2 strikers to attack so shouldn't really need an RB on top - Maldini is the greatest LB ever yet he was not an attacking force! . The main reason I would do that is by making changes elsewhere we don't want too many at once . I would therefore, bring Troy back in for Macca who has been poor for a few games now . Then once he and Ward have had a chance to settle (and providing they are working well) we could then consider making changes to RB if required - with either Thompson or Bessone coming in . However - if we do change it and Thompson doesn't play then he should be sold/released as it will be obvious he has no future here![/p][/quote]Devera was so far out of position for Preston's 2nd the guy had 20 yards of free space and they scored because of it. Then he was out of position again for Orient's goal. Both of which suprised me because I thought last season his biggest strengh was his positioning. Though maybe it's down to the fact he's used to playing centre back and drifts naturally into those areas. If that's the case then Thompson or another natural right back needs to be playing asap as we don't need any more cheap goals conceded. Rhs Boydy
  • Score: 0

11:11am Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

Lovesey - the thing is they HAVEN'T been taking the places of those doing well!
.
Bessone came in for an injured McEveley who then got his spot back instantly once fit again
.
Coke hasn't started in the league and was probably only on the bench as Navarro had a knock
.
Bostock hasn't started fullstop and wasn't even in the squad on Sat
.
Rooney has only started in the JPT before Sat - why he took RDV spot then???
.
It would be nice for the adver to find out!
.
Did he have a knock?
.
Was he simpy being rested having played every game up to then?
.
Did PdC simply want to see Williams on the wing?
.
Then that leaves Ward who like Rooney only made his first league start this week despite it being the 3rd game - Obviously this causes more issues as Fans Favourite Flint lost his spot!
.
Flint has been questionable in terms of errors recently so his place should be under threat - just like Macca's should be as he has not been performing well recently
.
Also had it been Troy (even though match fitness/sharpenss could be questioned) started the change would have been less contoversial - as we have to judge a player quickly here and Ward is the new boo boy!
.
As I pointed out above - the starting line up has been pretty stable with most changes being injury related and bar Miller and Williams are primarily players from last year! (Wes, Devera, Macca, Ritchie, RDV)
.
This new players upsetting the team is just wrong wrong wrong - its simply a myth! They simply haven't played enough for that to be true!
Lovesey - the thing is they HAVEN'T been taking the places of those doing well! . Bessone came in for an injured McEveley who then got his spot back instantly once fit again . Coke hasn't started in the league and was probably only on the bench as Navarro had a knock . Bostock hasn't started fullstop and wasn't even in the squad on Sat . Rooney has only started in the JPT before Sat - why he took RDV spot then??? . It would be nice for the adver to find out! . Did he have a knock? . Was he simpy being rested having played every game up to then? . Did PdC simply want to see Williams on the wing? . Then that leaves Ward who like Rooney only made his first league start this week despite it being the 3rd game - Obviously this causes more issues as Fans Favourite Flint lost his spot! . Flint has been questionable in terms of errors recently so his place should be under threat - just like Macca's should be as he has not been performing well recently . Also had it been Troy (even though match fitness/sharpenss could be questioned) started the change would have been less contoversial - as we have to judge a player quickly here and Ward is the new boo boy! . As I pointed out above - the starting line up has been pretty stable with most changes being injury related and bar Miller and Williams are primarily players from last year! (Wes, Devera, Macca, Ritchie, RDV) . This new players upsetting the team is just wrong wrong wrong - its simply a myth! They simply haven't played enough for that to be true! London Red
  • Score: 0

11:19am Tue 18 Sep 12

the wizard says...

While I have openly questioned PdC's man management technique there can be no doubting his overall resolve.
It seems the CG revolving door is spinning again, however, we are only a L1 club and the cost, even though we have a magnificent board, must be quite staggering, even unbelievable compared with just a few years ago.
I don't know if anyone is keeping tabs on the sheer number of players PdC has worked his way through, but quite significant I would think.

Those to go out on loan may come as a surprise, but Rooney, possibly Ward or Flint, as I think PdC cannot make up his mind here, and Ferry, is either a sub, or gets subbed as the mid field conundrum continues, so no one is safe. he does what he wants so we will have to wait and see.

LR said,

As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore

My answer to that is, PdC will make that decision, and that is why he is in charge, I can see the "point" but he looks at things differently. James, we will have to wait and see, and its likely to be down to who is going to pay the wages. Have a good time tonight at Pompey.
While I have openly questioned PdC's man management technique there can be no doubting his overall resolve. It seems the CG revolving door is spinning again, however, we are only a L1 club and the cost, even though we have a magnificent board, must be quite staggering, even unbelievable compared with just a few years ago. I don't know if anyone is keeping tabs on the sheer number of players PdC has worked his way through, but quite significant I would think. Those to go out on loan may come as a surprise, but Rooney, possibly Ward or Flint, as I think PdC cannot make up his mind here, and Ferry, is either a sub, or gets subbed as the mid field conundrum continues, so no one is safe. he does what he wants so we will have to wait and see. LR said, As for loans in - unless the player available is too good to turn down I don't think it is a good idea to add anymore My answer to that is, PdC will make that decision, and that is why he is in charge, I can see the "point" but he looks at things differently. James, we will have to wait and see, and its likely to be down to who is going to pay the wages. Have a good time tonight at Pompey. the wizard
  • Score: 0

11:19am Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

Rhys - will need to look at the Preston goal again to see
.
I have said beofre he waspartially to blame for Orient - as he was not close enough to Cook that is true - but for me Flint not stepping over it ends that attack there and then and that was the main issue!
.
Wes has been highlighted by Jervis for not stopping the first on Sat - but for me the poor clearance from Macca is the main issue - had that not only pea rolled a few yards the ball wouldn't had been fed to Jervis in the first place
.
Maybe I am overly simplifying it - but I simply looking at how the moves could be cut dead and drawing the line there
Rhys - will need to look at the Preston goal again to see . I have said beofre he waspartially to blame for Orient - as he was not close enough to Cook that is true - but for me Flint not stepping over it ends that attack there and then and that was the main issue! . Wes has been highlighted by Jervis for not stopping the first on Sat - but for me the poor clearance from Macca is the main issue - had that not only pea rolled a few yards the ball wouldn't had been fed to Jervis in the first place . Maybe I am overly simplifying it - but I simply looking at how the moves could be cut dead and drawing the line there London Red
  • Score: 0

11:21am Tue 18 Sep 12

Northern Red says...

London Red wrote:
I don't think the fee will be as high as £150k as players like Bodin and Ellis only moved for £70k or £80k so can't see Collins being double that
.
Tribunals are never normally that high - which is why most sellers don't want to go there! But will put in a big sell on or promotion clause
It's just slightly annoying that the tribunal had taken this long.
Does the Stoke game get taken into account? It shouldn't, but the individuals on the panel will be aware of it.
Shouldn't be bank breaking, and Collins has paid for it via the upcoming Burnley match...
[quote][p][bold]London Red[/bold] wrote: I don't think the fee will be as high as £150k as players like Bodin and Ellis only moved for £70k or £80k so can't see Collins being double that . Tribunals are never normally that high - which is why most sellers don't want to go there! But will put in a big sell on or promotion clause[/p][/quote]It's just slightly annoying that the tribunal had taken this long. Does the Stoke game get taken into account? It shouldn't, but the individuals on the panel will be aware of it. Shouldn't be bank breaking, and Collins has paid for it via the upcoming Burnley match... Northern Red
  • Score: 0

11:30am Tue 18 Sep 12

dreamofacleansheet2 says...

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with Super Sir Wes, Joe, Troy, Macca and Jay as our defence? Don't think they've conceded a goal when they've played together.

Takes the 9-1 available on us, big price that. Paolo you are good at developing players and making them better, just please just knuckle down and get on with it.

Back to back to back promotions coming.
Can someone explain to me what's wrong with Super Sir Wes, Joe, Troy, Macca and Jay as our defence? Don't think they've conceded a goal when they've played together. Takes the 9-1 available on us, big price that. Paolo you are good at developing players and making them better, just please just knuckle down and get on with it. Back to back to back promotions coming. dreamofacleansheet2
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Tue 18 Sep 12

Oi Den! says...

I don't know why (a) a player's place has to be under threat because he makes one or two errors or (b) why those errors have to be analysed to the nth degree. Paralysis by analysis. Players make mistakes at all levels of the game - and we are talking about LEAGUE 1 - as Paolo shouted repeatedly at us in a recent interview. If they were all dropped or subbed every time they made a mistake, their confidence would be torn to shreds. If a player puts in a stinker of a performance or has a bad run of games, that's different. It is then harmful to team morale to continue playing him. Almost every goal scored can be traced back to an error somewhere along the line. And mistakes don't just happen; the opposition makes them happen - just as we put pressure on our opponents to make errors. I would rather look at the overall capability and performances of the players, not assess them on one or two incidents.
.
LR, I think there is a reason that Flint is a "Fans' Favourite", as you seem to put it so grudgingly - that overall he has been bl00dy good for us.
I don't know why (a) a player's place has to be under threat because he makes one or two errors or (b) why those errors have to be analysed to the nth degree. Paralysis by analysis. Players make mistakes at all levels of the game - and we are talking about LEAGUE 1 - as Paolo shouted repeatedly at us in a recent interview. If they were all dropped or subbed every time they made a mistake, their confidence would be torn to shreds. If a player puts in a stinker of a performance or has a bad run of games, that's different. It is then harmful to team morale to continue playing him. Almost every goal scored can be traced back to an error somewhere along the line. And mistakes don't just happen; the opposition makes them happen - just as we put pressure on our opponents to make errors. I would rather look at the overall capability and performances of the players, not assess them on one or two incidents. . LR, I think there is a reason that Flint is a "Fans' Favourite", as you seem to put it so grudgingly - that overall he has been bl00dy good for us. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

Den - firstly don't agree every goal has to be down to an error
.
If it is a well struck shot from distance, a direct free kick, a well worked free kick routine like ours against Brighton - or simply a good move - it can be "error" free
.
You just say that was a good goal!
.
The same way if it is you scoring it - you say good or shocking defending on that one!

As for the errors - It like the old Phil smith debate - he would put in a great performance for 89 odd minutes but prone to one error which would cost us a goal - would you have kept him in?
.
He's not here now so that sort of answrs that really!
.
Swap Smith for Wes, Devera, Macca, Flint or McEveley - would you still keep them in if they were costing us a goal every game or every few games?
.
Yes players are going to make mistakes - no one is denying that and no one is saying they should be dropped after 1 error - PdC certainly doesn't
.
However, if a player has made a few in a row and and there are others in the squad who can come in - then surely a change should be made?
.
Or are you happy with 8 against in 4 games? Especially as most are due to errors not great attacking play!
.
As for Flint - I have no issue with him at all - what annoys me is players like Devera get stick week in week out - yet as you put it he has "overall he has been bl00dy good for us” - Yet treated completely different to Flint
.
Had Macca gone to RB and Ward replace Devera - no complaints would have occurred - yet a straight swap with Flint and there's uproar!
Den - firstly don't agree every goal has to be down to an error . If it is a well struck shot from distance, a direct free kick, a well worked free kick routine like ours against Brighton - or simply a good move - it can be "error" free . You just say that was a good goal! . The same way if it is you scoring it - you say good or shocking defending on that one! As for the errors - It like the old Phil smith debate - he would put in a great performance for 89 odd minutes but prone to one error which would cost us a goal - would you have kept him in? . He's not here now so that sort of answrs that really! . Swap Smith for Wes, Devera, Macca, Flint or McEveley - would you still keep them in if they were costing us a goal every game or every few games? . Yes players are going to make mistakes - no one is denying that and no one is saying they should be dropped after 1 error - PdC certainly doesn't . However, if a player has made a few in a row and and there are others in the squad who can come in - then surely a change should be made? . Or are you happy with 8 against in 4 games? Especially as most are due to errors not great attacking play! . As for Flint - I have no issue with him at all - what annoys me is players like Devera get stick week in week out - yet as you put it he has "overall he has been bl00dy good for us” - Yet treated completely different to Flint . Had Macca gone to RB and Ward replace Devera - no complaints would have occurred - yet a straight swap with Flint and there's uproar! London Red
  • Score: 0

1:23pm Tue 18 Sep 12

Is that you Lovesey says...

I dont understand why he keeps dropping Ferry, we play better with him in the team end of (although I saw Si in old town Sunday with a dodgy man bag and aaron jumper on ) Remember that Wes is only young and this is his second season, he will make some mistakes, the same with Flint, for me I would like to see Macca pushed back to midfield with Archie and Flint at the back..
I dont understand why he keeps dropping Ferry, we play better with him in the team end of (although I saw Si in old town Sunday with a dodgy man bag and aaron jumper on ) Remember that Wes is only young and this is his second season, he will make some mistakes, the same with Flint, for me I would like to see Macca pushed back to midfield with Archie and Flint at the back.. Is that you Lovesey
  • Score: 0

1:26pm Tue 18 Sep 12

SeanG92 says...

“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave"

Another absolute shiner from Paolo :)

Thats up there with his comments towards Ferdinand
“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" Another absolute shiner from Paolo :) Thats up there with his comments towards Ferdinand SeanG92
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Tue 18 Sep 12

SAPFanSTFC says...

Helpme234 wrote:
I'm struggling with the above article LR!

Do you think it's time for PDC to evaluate which is his best 11 and give them the time to play together and get used to each other?

Bring on subs for impact or injuries or dramatic loss of form, but otherwise give them time to settle.
PDC has always said he wants to play a squad based game plus he wants different players for different opponents etc.
--
I guess the question is - can the players adapt to the switching of personnel?
--
Having said that, the only changes in defence have been due to injuries the midfield I think he's searching for his best mix and up front when they start firing on all cylinders we won't know which way to look.
===
Out of Interest - Open Question:
---
Who would you have as your starting eleven?...and would you change personnel between playing away at Bury or at home to Sheff Utd?
[quote][p][bold]Helpme234[/bold] wrote: I'm struggling with the above article LR! Do you think it's time for PDC to evaluate which is his best 11 and give them the time to play together and get used to each other? Bring on subs for impact or injuries or dramatic loss of form, but otherwise give them time to settle.[/p][/quote]PDC has always said he wants to play a squad based game plus he wants different players for different opponents etc. -- I guess the question is - can the players adapt to the switching of personnel? -- Having said that, the only changes in defence have been due to injuries the midfield I think he's searching for his best mix and up front when they start firing on all cylinders we won't know which way to look. === Out of Interest - Open Question: --- Who would you have as your starting eleven?...and would you change personnel between playing away at Bury or at home to Sheff Utd? SAPFanSTFC
  • Score: 0

1:39pm Tue 18 Sep 12

Oi Den! says...

As with so many things LR, you and I are not really that far apart on this. Devera gets no stick from me. I've not seen him have a bad game yet.
.
I think we just differ over the point at which someone should be dropped. The fact that a player has made a couple of errors in otherwise solid performances is not enough reason, IMO, to exclude a player. I am quite happy to say here that I think PDC's expectations of performance in "LEAGUE 1, LEAGUE1" are unrealistically high. I have no quarrel with him aiming for perfection, but we all know he's not going to get it any level, let alone this one. So I say if we believe in the players, we should give them a chance and not cast them aside (even if only temporarily)on the basis of a couple of errors.
As with so many things LR, you and I are not really that far apart on this. Devera gets no stick from me. I've not seen him have a bad game yet. . I think we just differ over the point at which someone should be dropped. The fact that a player has made a couple of errors in otherwise solid performances is not enough reason, IMO, to exclude a player. I am quite happy to say here that I think PDC's expectations of performance in "LEAGUE 1, LEAGUE1" are unrealistically high. I have no quarrel with him aiming for perfection, but we all know he's not going to get it any level, let alone this one. So I say if we believe in the players, we should give them a chance and not cast them aside (even if only temporarily)on the basis of a couple of errors. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Tue 18 Sep 12

Wilesy says...

Oi Den! wrote:
I don't know why (a) a player's place has to be under threat because he makes one or two errors or (b) why those errors have to be analysed to the nth degree. Paralysis by analysis. Players make mistakes at all levels of the game - and we are talking about LEAGUE 1 - as Paolo shouted repeatedly at us in a recent interview. If they were all dropped or subbed every time they made a mistake, their confidence would be torn to shreds. If a player puts in a stinker of a performance or has a bad run of games, that's different. It is then harmful to team morale to continue playing him. Almost every goal scored can be traced back to an error somewhere along the line. And mistakes don't just happen; the opposition makes them happen - just as we put pressure on our opponents to make errors. I would rather look at the overall capability and performances of the players, not assess them on one or two incidents. . LR, I think there is a reason that Flint is a "Fans' Favourite", as you seem to put it so grudgingly - that overall he has been bl00dy good for us.
Good post.

How old is Flint again and how many games had he played at L1 level before this season?

Yes he has made a couple of mistakes recently, and when powerfully winning his headers the ball doesn't always go the foot of a Town player, but 99% of what he does is perfectly adequate.

Would much rather have Flint booming headers back into the opponents half than Macca losing the header or getting half a head on it, leading to second ball pressure again and again.

Only saw Ward at Oxford, and wasn't overly impressed, although I suppose there's a case for his 'if in doubt kick it out' style - his role is to stop the opposition scoring and they can't score from the stand. Also you can't have played hundreds of games as a professional with major shortcomings.

I also think that Flint and Troy are 'the future' wheras Ward is 'the past'. For example Flint came here for £150k and must surely have doubled or trebled that value with his performances, so there is that aspect to consider as well.

I would like to see Flint and Troy get a run in the side.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: I don't know why (a) a player's place has to be under threat because he makes one or two errors or (b) why those errors have to be analysed to the nth degree. Paralysis by analysis. Players make mistakes at all levels of the game - and we are talking about LEAGUE 1 - as Paolo shouted repeatedly at us in a recent interview. If they were all dropped or subbed every time they made a mistake, their confidence would be torn to shreds. If a player puts in a stinker of a performance or has a bad run of games, that's different. It is then harmful to team morale to continue playing him. Almost every goal scored can be traced back to an error somewhere along the line. And mistakes don't just happen; the opposition makes them happen - just as we put pressure on our opponents to make errors. I would rather look at the overall capability and performances of the players, not assess them on one or two incidents. . LR, I think there is a reason that Flint is a "Fans' Favourite", as you seem to put it so grudgingly - that overall he has been bl00dy good for us.[/p][/quote]Good post. How old is Flint again and how many games had he played at L1 level before this season? Yes he has made a couple of mistakes recently, and when powerfully winning his headers the ball doesn't always go the foot of a Town player, but 99% of what he does is perfectly adequate. Would much rather have Flint booming headers back into the opponents half than Macca losing the header or getting half a head on it, leading to second ball pressure again and again. Only saw Ward at Oxford, and wasn't overly impressed, although I suppose there's a case for his 'if in doubt kick it out' style - his role is to stop the opposition scoring and they can't score from the stand. Also you can't have played hundreds of games as a professional with major shortcomings. I also think that Flint and Troy are 'the future' wheras Ward is 'the past'. For example Flint came here for £150k and must surely have doubled or trebled that value with his performances, so there is that aspect to consider as well. I would like to see Flint and Troy get a run in the side. Wilesy
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Tue 18 Sep 12

SAPFanSTFC says...

SeanG92 wrote:
“It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave"

Another absolute shiner from Paolo :)

Thats up there with his comments towards Ferdinand
The Football League paper has a regular column where a current player picks the best players he's ever played with in each position.
--
This week is a Sheff Wed goalie and has picked Paolo as one of his forwards - worth a read if you can get it or I'll copy it in later somehow.
--
Main lines were "I'd play for him any day as you know he'd make you a better player/professional"
[quote][p][bold]SeanG92[/bold] wrote: “It is strange because Di Canio is tough, Di Canio is too mad, Di Canio is a dictator and don’t let the player speak. Di Canio treats them as a slave but nobody wants to leave" Another absolute shiner from Paolo :) Thats up there with his comments towards Ferdinand[/p][/quote]The Football League paper has a regular column where a current player picks the best players he's ever played with in each position. -- This week is a Sheff Wed goalie and has picked Paolo as one of his forwards - worth a read if you can get it or I'll copy it in later somehow. -- Main lines were "I'd play for him any day as you know he'd make you a better player/professional" SAPFanSTFC
  • Score: 0

1:49pm Tue 18 Sep 12

SAPFanSTFC says...

mrclick wrote:
Idea - is he struggling with Macca, he hasn't been anywhere need the player he was last year so far this term. Also with this high ball pressure we seem to be getting and a little bit more quality in this league is he good enough at centre back? So what does he do play either Ward, Flint or Troy then move Macca into midfield who would he replace there?
Tough call - I'd leave him where he is but PDC moved him out in the Oxford game.
Agreed we do need a good right back Devera to in and out of games at the moment, we're conceding far to many goals at present. Must also be looking for a keeper I'd say
Why not play Macca in more of a free role / sweeper if required in games where we need to be tighter at the back?
---
Fodders
.
Thompson-Devera-Henv
ille-Mceverley
.
Macca
.
Ritchie-Bostock-Ferr
y-Roberts
.
Perm any 1 from 3 up front and as necessary you could push Bostock in front of the midfield 4 (moving Macca up) and play him just off Williams, Benson or Collins.
--
You also have the option of Rooney (A) to play alongside Ferry....but for me Ferry is a must in any event.....just wish he would get a bit of luck with one of his shots, he is well overdue a goal or two and deserves them.
[quote][p][bold]mrclick[/bold] wrote: Idea - is he struggling with Macca, he hasn't been anywhere need the player he was last year so far this term. Also with this high ball pressure we seem to be getting and a little bit more quality in this league is he good enough at centre back? So what does he do play either Ward, Flint or Troy then move Macca into midfield who would he replace there? Tough call - I'd leave him where he is but PDC moved him out in the Oxford game. Agreed we do need a good right back Devera to in and out of games at the moment, we're conceding far to many goals at present. Must also be looking for a keeper I'd say[/p][/quote]Why not play Macca in more of a free role / sweeper if required in games where we need to be tighter at the back? --- Fodders . Thompson-Devera-Henv ille-Mceverley . Macca . Ritchie-Bostock-Ferr y-Roberts . Perm any 1 from 3 up front and as necessary you could push Bostock in front of the midfield 4 (moving Macca up) and play him just off Williams, Benson or Collins. -- You also have the option of Rooney (A) to play alongside Ferry....but for me Ferry is a must in any event.....just wish he would get a bit of luck with one of his shots, he is well overdue a goal or two and deserves them. SAPFanSTFC
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Tue 18 Sep 12

London Red says...

SAP - to answer part of your question would I change system / personnel if we are playing Sheff U followed by Bury - yes!
.
I would like to see the backline fairly settled - it is no coincidence that teams with great defensive records have had this
.
Arsenal was built around Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Bould/Keown and Winterburn for example
.
Note though there were 6 for 5 - and rotation did still occur when required - be it opposition matching or form
.
Once we have settled on the defence I think it should be pretty much that week in week out - unless as stated you bring in say Flint or Troy (if not them) for a game against a Crouch - or drop Flint if you need a pacy CB etc
.
However - midfield and forwards are totally different and should rotate
.
Sheff U away - I would see us in a 4231
.
Macca and Navarro - sitting and protecting
.
Benson up top as tthe best target man we have
.
Then Ritchie, Bostock and Roberts in between to still add creativity, pace and counter attacking force
.
Whereas Bury at home - I would like to think we would dominate the game so would want Ferry and Miller in the middle
.
Then 2 up top so bring in another forward - who they would be would depend on the CBs - if slow go for Williams - if Big go for Collins etc
.
Starting XI - not formulated my ideal one yet as not seen enough of certain players yet
.
But Wes, McEveley, Ritchie, Ferry and Roberts would certainly be in it
.
So just need to settle on RB, 2xCB, CM to partner Ferry and the forwards!
.
You can see why PdC is having "trouble" nailing it down!
SAP - to answer part of your question would I change system / personnel if we are playing Sheff U followed by Bury - yes! . I would like to see the backline fairly settled - it is no coincidence that teams with great defensive records have had this . Arsenal was built around Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Bould/Keown and Winterburn for example . Note though there were 6 for 5 - and rotation did still occur when required - be it opposition matching or form . Once we have settled on the defence I think it should be pretty much that week in week out - unless as stated you bring in say Flint or Troy (if not them) for a game against a Crouch - or drop Flint if you need a pacy CB etc . However - midfield and forwards are totally different and should rotate . Sheff U away - I would see us in a 4231 . Macca and Navarro - sitting and protecting . Benson up top as tthe best target man we have . Then Ritchie, Bostock and Roberts in between to still add creativity, pace and counter attacking force . Whereas Bury at home - I would like to think we would dominate the game so would want Ferry and Miller in the middle . Then 2 up top so bring in another forward - who they would be would depend on the CBs - if slow go for Williams - if Big go for Collins etc . Starting XI - not formulated my ideal one yet as not seen enough of certain players yet . But Wes, McEveley, Ritchie, Ferry and Roberts would certainly be in it . So just need to settle on RB, 2xCB, CM to partner Ferry and the forwards! . You can see why PdC is having "trouble" nailing it down! London Red
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Tue 18 Sep 12

SeanG92 says...

Paolo, in his short time in managment so far, has already been acclaimed by a number of people as being one of the hardest working and most tactically precise managers around.

He spends hours and hours reviewing his next opponent, watching videos of their recent games, examining their tactical ploys, revising their strenghts and picking out their weaknesses and flaws and THEN he picks a team based on how best he feels he can counter specific threats and how he can target specific weaknesses.

This is why we chop and change so much in terms of team selection. he pick players based on who he thinks suits that specific match best. Not just on who has been playing best or working hardest in training (altough im sure both are considerd)

Obviously you have your mainstays like Macca, Ritchie, last season Benson (still this season perhaps) and Caddis. However aaround these players its very much related on the next opponents
Paolo, in his short time in managment so far, has already been acclaimed by a number of people as being one of the hardest working and most tactically precise managers around. He spends hours and hours reviewing his next opponent, watching videos of their recent games, examining their tactical ploys, revising their strenghts and picking out their weaknesses and flaws and THEN he picks a team based on how best he feels he can counter specific threats and how he can target specific weaknesses. This is why we chop and change so much in terms of team selection. he pick players based on who he thinks suits that specific match best. Not just on who has been playing best or working hardest in training (altough im sure both are considerd) Obviously you have your mainstays like Macca, Ritchie, last season Benson (still this season perhaps) and Caddis. However aaround these players its very much related on the next opponents SeanG92
  • Score: 0

6:09pm Tue 18 Sep 12

Properfootballexpert says...

I have not had time to read through all comments however, my view for what it is worth. Shrewsbury will look to get 180k, Swindon will want to pay 100 k and tribunal will meet in middle at around 140 k but with some add ons like reading put on for cox for future percentage of transfer fees and possibly international caps.
I have not had time to read through all comments however, my view for what it is worth. Shrewsbury will look to get 180k, Swindon will want to pay 100 k and tribunal will meet in middle at around 140 k but with some add ons like reading put on for cox for future percentage of transfer fees and possibly international caps. Properfootballexpert
  • Score: 0

6:28pm Tue 18 Sep 12

LydiardRED67 says...

Oi Den! wrote:
stanharlands6shirt wrote:
Nice to know that no one wants to leave and hopefully that means the squad is becoming tighter knit as well.

However Paul Caddis did not want to leave either and wanted to stay right up until he was sent out on loan...

At the time Paolo must have believed he could cover that position, so no worries and no reconcilliation.

Hindsight is something I'm sure we wish we all had, including Paolo, but in my opinion we shot ourselves right in the right foot and in the league have been limping as a team down what was our strongest attacking side, almost every game since he was loaned out.

Joe Devera has tried hard in Paul's position and it is too his credit that he has done as well as he has.

However, he is no Paul Caddis and he is not a full back.

So for me the only logical position that Paolo can really be looking to bring in a new addition, is right back.

How I wish we could bring Caddis back from his loan and get that right side working properly again, both going forwards and backwards.

I enjoy the way Paolo motivates our players, but on this one subject I for the life of me cannot understand how he can have let such quality leave our side.
Stan, we do miss Caddis's attacking play but I think Devera is the better defender. I believe that is the crux of why PDC was happy to see Caddis go after they'd had their fall-out. A decent winger can have a field day against Caddis, who also struggles in the air. PDC maybe stubborn but he is not stupid. If he had rated Caddis that highly as a right back, I believe he would have made sure there was a reconciliation. Although I agree that Devera is not the ideal replacement, I think he has done enough to prove that he's a very useful member of the sqaud - if not good enough to be first choice right back, certainly good enough to fill in in emergencies. Incidentally, I did not want to see Caddis go either, but I see him more as a midfielder than a defender.
Agree with Devera being the better defender, just watch Brums 2 goals conceded this weekend. Crossfield back post crosses that targeted Caddis and resulted in goals.

Still, I didn't want to see him go either but it does seem he gets better every game he doesn't play for us.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stanharlands6shirt[/bold] wrote: Nice to know that no one wants to leave and hopefully that means the squad is becoming tighter knit as well. However Paul Caddis did not want to leave either and wanted to stay right up until he was sent out on loan... At the time Paolo must have believed he could cover that position, so no worries and no reconcilliation. Hindsight is something I'm sure we wish we all had, including Paolo, but in my opinion we shot ourselves right in the right foot and in the league have been limping as a team down what was our strongest attacking side, almost every game since he was loaned out. Joe Devera has tried hard in Paul's position and it is too his credit that he has done as well as he has. However, he is no Paul Caddis and he is not a full back. So for me the only logical position that Paolo can really be looking to bring in a new addition, is right back. How I wish we could bring Caddis back from his loan and get that right side working properly again, both going forwards and backwards. I enjoy the way Paolo motivates our players, but on this one subject I for the life of me cannot understand how he can have let such quality leave our side.[/p][/quote]Stan, we do miss Caddis's attacking play but I think Devera is the better defender. I believe that is the crux of why PDC was happy to see Caddis go after they'd had their fall-out. A decent winger can have a field day against Caddis, who also struggles in the air. PDC maybe stubborn but he is not stupid. If he had rated Caddis that highly as a right back, I believe he would have made sure there was a reconciliation. Although I agree that Devera is not the ideal replacement, I think he has done enough to prove that he's a very useful member of the sqaud - if not good enough to be first choice right back, certainly good enough to fill in in emergencies. Incidentally, I did not want to see Caddis go either, but I see him more as a midfielder than a defender.[/p][/quote]Agree with Devera being the better defender, just watch Brums 2 goals conceded this weekend. Crossfield back post crosses that targeted Caddis and resulted in goals. Still, I didn't want to see him go either but it does seem he gets better every game he doesn't play for us. LydiardRED67
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Tue 18 Sep 12

old town robin says...

Oi Den! wrote:
As with so many things LR, you and I are not really that far apart on this. Devera gets no stick from me. I've not seen him have a bad game yet.
.
I think we just differ over the point at which someone should be dropped. The fact that a player has made a couple of errors in otherwise solid performances is not enough reason, IMO, to exclude a player. I am quite happy to say here that I think PDC's expectations of performance in "LEAGUE 1, LEAGUE1" are unrealistically high. I have no quarrel with him aiming for perfection, but we all know he's not going to get it any level, let alone this one. So I say if we believe in the players, we should give them a chance and not cast them aside (even if only temporarily)on the basis of a couple of errors.
Oi Den, if you haven't seen Joe have a bad game I assume you were not there for the Orient game. I'm actually pleased that Nat has got his chance tonight at RB, Joe has done his best to fill the absence of Caddis, but to be honest he is a reliable back up squad player, I like his commitment but quite frankly not good enough to be first choice if we are going to get promotion.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: As with so many things LR, you and I are not really that far apart on this. Devera gets no stick from me. I've not seen him have a bad game yet. . I think we just differ over the point at which someone should be dropped. The fact that a player has made a couple of errors in otherwise solid performances is not enough reason, IMO, to exclude a player. I am quite happy to say here that I think PDC's expectations of performance in "LEAGUE 1, LEAGUE1" are unrealistically high. I have no quarrel with him aiming for perfection, but we all know he's not going to get it any level, let alone this one. So I say if we believe in the players, we should give them a chance and not cast them aside (even if only temporarily)on the basis of a couple of errors.[/p][/quote]Oi Den, if you haven't seen Joe have a bad game I assume you were not there for the Orient game. I'm actually pleased that Nat has got his chance tonight at RB, Joe has done his best to fill the absence of Caddis, but to be honest he is a reliable back up squad player, I like his commitment but quite frankly not good enough to be first choice if we are going to get promotion. old town robin
  • Score: 0

9:34pm Tue 18 Sep 12

Oi Den! says...

You're right OTR. I was on holiday. I did read that he'd had a bad one. I like Thompson too. Without seeing Devera on Saturday, I can't say whether I would have agreed with tonight's selection or not. Other than that, I agree with everything you say. Although I've not seen Devera have a bad game I do recognise his limitations.
You're right OTR. I was on holiday. I did read that he'd had a bad one. I like Thompson too. Without seeing Devera on Saturday, I can't say whether I would have agreed with tonight's selection or not. Other than that, I agree with everything you say. Although I've not seen Devera have a bad game I do recognise his limitations. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

10:14pm Tue 18 Sep 12

old town robin says...

Oi Den! wrote:
You're right OTR. I was on holiday. I did read that he'd had a bad one. I like Thompson too. Without seeing Devera on Saturday, I can't say whether I would have agreed with tonight's selection or not. Other than that, I agree with everything you say. Although I've not seen Devera have a bad game I do recognise his limitations.
Oi Den, I guess the real manager recognised changes had to be made and as we actually won a game away from home, it has to be said he got it right!

Yet to read an account of who played well, but hope that Nathan gave a good account and has done enough to be considered as a first choice for Saturday.
[quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: You're right OTR. I was on holiday. I did read that he'd had a bad one. I like Thompson too. Without seeing Devera on Saturday, I can't say whether I would have agreed with tonight's selection or not. Other than that, I agree with everything you say. Although I've not seen Devera have a bad game I do recognise his limitations.[/p][/quote]Oi Den, I guess the real manager recognised changes had to be made and as we actually won a game away from home, it has to be said he got it right! Yet to read an account of who played well, but hope that Nathan gave a good account and has done enough to be considered as a first choice for Saturday. old town robin
  • Score: 0

10:29pm Tue 18 Sep 12

Oi Den! says...

old town robin wrote:
Oi Den! wrote:
You're right OTR. I was on holiday. I did read that he'd had a bad one. I like Thompson too. Without seeing Devera on Saturday, I can't say whether I would have agreed with tonight's selection or not. Other than that, I agree with everything you say. Although I've not seen Devera have a bad game I do recognise his limitations.
Oi Den, I guess the real manager recognised changes had to be made and as we actually won a game away from home, it has to be said he got it right!

Yet to read an account of who played well, but hope that Nathan gave a good account and has done enough to be considered as a first choice for Saturday.
Sounds like Thompson had a very good game - strong in the tackle and good going forward - and after hearing PDC's praise of him at the end of the game I'd be astonished if he doesn't get a start on Saturday.
[quote][p][bold]old town robin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oi Den![/bold] wrote: You're right OTR. I was on holiday. I did read that he'd had a bad one. I like Thompson too. Without seeing Devera on Saturday, I can't say whether I would have agreed with tonight's selection or not. Other than that, I agree with everything you say. Although I've not seen Devera have a bad game I do recognise his limitations.[/p][/quote]Oi Den, I guess the real manager recognised changes had to be made and as we actually won a game away from home, it has to be said he got it right! Yet to read an account of who played well, but hope that Nathan gave a good account and has done enough to be considered as a first choice for Saturday.[/p][/quote]Sounds like Thompson had a very good game - strong in the tackle and good going forward - and after hearing PDC's praise of him at the end of the game I'd be astonished if he doesn't get a start on Saturday. Oi Den!
  • Score: 0

2:51pm Wed 19 Sep 12

swwindon61uk says...

old town robin wrote:
LR, re : Devera, you're probably right that he will continue at RB, but remember this article is about bringing in an additional loanee or two and my opinion looking at the team we have, RB is the position that needs to be strengthened and additional goal keeper because we would be at risk, should Wes get injured.

Devera had a very below par game against Orient and was partially to blame for the goal conceded because he was no where near Cook when he scored. Having said that I know he is capable to be better than that performance and the fact he kept his place against Carlisle I'm sure for the time being at least Paolo will keep him as first choice and agree with you probably too many changes at once may not be a good thing to do.
Not sure if it was Devera's man but the goal came because made a mistake in not clearing the ball when it come across the box.
Flint has made a lot of mistakes recently which are forgotten as he makes exceptional plays in the same games.
[quote][p][bold]old town robin[/bold] wrote: LR, re : Devera, you're probably right that he will continue at RB, but remember this article is about bringing in an additional loanee or two and my opinion looking at the team we have, RB is the position that needs to be strengthened and additional goal keeper because we would be at risk, should Wes get injured. Devera had a very below par game against Orient and was partially to blame for the goal conceded because he was no where near Cook when he scored. Having said that I know he is capable to be better than that performance and the fact he kept his place against Carlisle I'm sure for the time being at least Paolo will keep him as first choice and agree with you probably too many changes at once may not be a good thing to do.[/p][/quote]Not sure if it was Devera's man but the goal came because made a mistake in not clearing the ball when it come across the box. Flint has made a lot of mistakes recently which are forgotten as he makes exceptional plays in the same games. swwindon61uk
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree