WITH Halloween, the Hindu festival of Diwali and bonfire night approaching, the fireworks season seems to go on longer than ever, but please spare a thought for the animals and birds who are terrified by the deafening crashes. Traumatised dogs are rushed to vets for emergency treatment; sheep can spontaneously abort; horses gallop into fences; and rabbits have been known to die from the shock.
Animal Aid believes that - for the sale of all animals - fireworks should be sold only to organisers of public events and not to individuals wishing to set them off in their gardens or in the street. A ban on sales to the general public would also prevent the terrible cruelties reported every year of vicious individuals deliberately harming animals by tying fireworks to them.
And for anyone who cares for animals, please keep cats and dogs indoors from the afternoon onwards and bring rabbits and guinea pigs inside as well (or at least cover their home with a thick blanket to muffle the noise). Also, be sure to check that hedgehogs and other wild animals have not made a home in your bonfire before you light it.