Nuneham Courtenay, Oxfordshire

£950,000

Guide price

  • Bedrooms: 5

The Old Bakery is a detached Grade II Listed property built in 1760 by the 1st Earl of Harcourt. As its name suggests it was originally the bakery to the village. The accommodation comprises of a beautiful cottage bursting with character features, a barn conversion with flexible usage, along with a two story garage complex, all set within circa. 0.70 of an acre of landscaped gardens.

SUMMARY

The accommodation is well presented with a wealth of retained period features including a couple of fine inglenook fireplaces, exposed beams and timber doors. The detached barn has been converted to provide two further en-suite bedrooms and a good size utility/laundry and subject to necessary consents its use could be altered further.

The Old Bakery is approached through double wooden gates onto a graveled drive which leads to the detached double garage. This is well designed with plenty of ground floor space and a useful first floor, there are two sets of double wooden doors, light, power and water. The gardens are a lovely feature, mainly lawned with well stocked flower and shrubs borders and a beautifully landscaped courtyard.

Please note that a piece of the garden is rented from the University of Oxford (annual rent of £25).

QUALITIES

* Grade II Listed property built in 1760 by the 1st Earl of Harcourt

* Detached Cottage, originally the bakery to the village

* Wealth of retained period features throughout

* Excellent location on the fringes of Oxford City

* Regular public transport links moments from property

* Set within circa. 0.70 of an acre of landscaped gardens

SETTING

The well-regarded and picturesque village of Nuneham Courtenay is one of the best known and most important planned estate villages in the country. In the 1760's the old village and church were demolished to make way for a classical landscape. The new village included a forge, inn, curate's house and semi-detached cottages of uniform design in chequer brick, neatly arranged on either side of the Oxford Road. In 1948 the 2nd Viscount Harcourt sold the estate to the University of Oxford and all its properties remained in single ownership until 1990.

Nuneham Courtnenay lies some 5 miles to the south of the University City of Oxford, which offers an excellent range of shopping, recreational and cultural amenities. There is a deli and shop in the village and a primary school in the neighbouring village of Marsh Baldon.

Communications are good with easy access to the M40 and M4 motorways. There are regular buses to Oxford, Reading, Henley and Wallingford, with Didcot mainline station is approximately 8 miles away, with a regular service to London, Paddington in about 40 minutes.

The property is well placed for many schools including Cothill, Chandlings, Abingdon School, St. Helens & St. Katherines, The Manor, Abingdon Prep, the European School, Radley and the Oxford schools including The Dragon and Oxford High School.

IMPORTANT

We would inform prospective purchasers that these sales particulars have been prepared as a general guide only. A detailed survey has not been carried out nor the services, appliances and fittings tested. Room sizes should not be relied upon for furnishings purposes and are approximate. Floor plans are for guidance and illustration purposes only and may not be to scale. If there any important matters likely to affect your decision to buy, please contact us before viewing the property.


Arrange viewing 01865 876543

Turner Properties - Oxford

40 Church Road, Wheatley, Oxford

See all properties from this agent

Send me homes like this by email