ONE year on since Derek Marshall died, having lost a 12-year battle with brain trauma, his family are still struggling to come to terms with his loss.

Derek had been walking home from a wedding in September 2002 when he was hit by a car at a pedestrian crossing on Cirencester Way.

After a long and emotional journey for Derek and his family, he finally died on October 18 last year, surrounded by loved ones.

Wife Pauline, 48, cared for her husband around the clock after he emerged from a six week coma, at which point his mental capacity reverted to that of a 12-year-old.

She has continued that role since his death, taking on employment with a care company in the town.

Now Pauline and her daughter, Sam Mumford, are calling for better enforcement for careless drivers and have asked for an apology from the man who struck Derek that night.

Sam, 26, said: “Just an apology would be useful. He has never said he is sorry for what happened, and that would be the first thing I would want to do. I think more drivers need to think and realise that a split second can kill, even at 20 miles an hour.”

Pauline said: “There are a lot of people out there having accidents because of idiots on the road. We were quite lucky to have the time that we did with Derek.

“He was conscious about safety, then he got run over. It has been really hard thinking that the man who hit him is still nearby. I want to ask him why he did what he did and if he knows what he has put Derek and the family through.

“There has not been a word between us. I would like to see him face to face but I know I shouldn’t.

“Where he got hit, by the Lidl on Great Western Way, it seems every time I go up there someone is hitting that roundabout.

“More needs to be done to make it safe, and it is hard to stress to people how important it is.”

The family will remember Derek’s life on October 18 and are trying to finally find some closure.

“Quite a lot of people knew Derek in the community and he was well-respected, but a few still don’t know that he passed away,” said Sam.

“We were the lucky ones, there are some families out there who have members hit by a car and are killed outright, and they don’t get that chance to seek closure. “We were lucky to have the time that we did.”

“We have all stuck together through it,” added Pauline.

“I have had to sell his van back to the company because every time I look at it it reminded me of him going out in it. As time as gone on that emotion has turned into stress as I can’t get over the fact that he is not coming back.

“My son has just turned 18 and he didn’t want to celebrate. He should have been able to go for his first pint with his dad, but that has been taken away from him.

“I decided to go into care work because I felt I should try to give something back.

“ There are people out there who are very unfortunate, we were able to get all the necessary equipment and hoists while others don’t even have a shower.

“I donated all his beds, machinery and equipment, what must be about £20,000 worth of stuff, to the nursing home in Wroughton which looked after him, The Orchard.

“I’m not getting rid of his wheelchair yet though, I’m not quite ready to do that.

“I have only ever cared for Derek, but I do enjoy the work because the service users are really fun sometimes.

“When Derek was in bed and carers came in he would lift their spirits, and that’s the same with the people I care for.

“I think after this first year there will be some closure. I don’t think I’ll ever find anyone like Derek again.”