A STALKER who drove dangerously when police came to move him on from outside his estranged wife's home has been jailed for six months.

Stephen Lancashire, who has a previous conviction for harassing his ex, had been warned to leave her alone after she said she wanted no more to do with him.

But when police were again called to her road the 51-year-old drove over a grass verge then sped the wrong way up a one way street as he got away from officers.

Tessa Hingston, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court how the couple had initially split up in 2009 after he had assaulted her.

A year later he was put on a restraining order when he admitted harassment, but despite that they remained friendly.

But in April this year she became fed up with him and told him to move out of her Moredon home, where he had been living.

During the following weeks he repeatedly parked outside her house in Montrose Close, knocking on the door and putting his ear to the door and window.

He also repeatedly followed her when she went out and on one day bombarded her with 22 phone calls and texts.

Miss Hingston said :"She doesn't fear violence, his behaviour is causing her a great deal of distress. She just wants him to go away."

In late May Miss Hingston said he was spoken to by the police and warned to leave the woman alone, which he agreed to.

But a couple of days later he was again parked in her street and when officers went to speak to him he crossed a grass verge and went the wrong way up a one way street.

The car also bounced off a kerb and went at 40mph in a 30mph zone and was driven with the lights turned off.

Lancashire, of Sheringham Court, Liden, pleaded guilty to stalking, dangerous driving, two counts of failing to stop and 10 each of driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and without insurance.

The court heard that as well as the matters concerning his wife he had a number of motoring convictions.

Mike Pulsford, defending, said his client, who was appearing in court by video link from custody, was not in the best of health.

He said the couple were still married, despite splitting in 2009, and he has been living with their daughter, who will act as a go-between.

"He accepts that in that six-week period in the indictment he would not take no for an answer. He has not been violent," he said.

"He has just parked outside the house and been seen and then, of course, driven off in a panic and driven in the way you have heard about."

Passing sentence Recorder Nicholas Atkinson QC said: "You are before the court for a catalogue of offences.

"In relation to the stalking matter which has arisen before in your history before the courts and in relation to the driving dangerously I take the view that there is no alternative but immediate custody. I have regard for your health and credit for your plea of guilty."

As well as jailing him he also banned him from the road for 18 months and imposed a restraining order to stop him contacting his wife.