A WOMAN wearing a fashionable cloche hat inadvertently immortalised herself one chilly day well over 80 years ago.

The result of her straying in front of a photographer is one of the most compelling pictures in our archive.

“Talkies,” is proudly proclaimed in lights below the name of the Regent Cinema, which opened in 1929, just as the cinematic miracle of films with sound began to take off.

As many Rewind readers will be aware, the cinema went on to become the Gaumont and the Odeon before becoming, like so many old-time cinemas, a bingo hall.

In more recent years the historic Regent Circus Structure has taken on a new life as the MECA entertainment venue.