KINGDOWN House was once one of Swindon’s most notable buildings but hasn’t existed in well over half a century.

All that remains are the gate pillars at either side of a lane leading to the crematorium the house was demolished to make way for. Our photograph is dated July 1955, and an article taped to the back reveals that the origins of the building were a mystery even then.

A local directory printed in 1847 mentioned it as the only mansion in the neighbourhood, and its list of owners included the splendidly-named Lieut-Col Bevil Langton Burley, who apparently enjoyed hunting.

By 1955 the owners were a Mr and Mrs C Brian.