A PENSIONER murder suspect remains in custody this morning after a top police officer ordered an extension to his detention.

Police have been given an extra 12 hours to question the man, arrested on Tuesday morning on suspicion of murder of a woman in Standen Way, Blunsdon St Andrew, by a Superintendent.

Officers and forensic teams were spotted outside the home on the residential street yesterday.

Wiltshire Police were called to Blunsdon at around 2.30am on Tuesday after the “sudden death of a woman in her 40s at a property in Standen Way”.

READ MORE: Pensioner arrested with murder probe launched

She has not been named and as of yesterday morning, her death was being treated by detectives as “unexplained”.

Usually, police officers have 24 hours after the point of arrest to charge or release a suspect.

However, for serious crimes including murder, officers can apply to hold suspects for up to 36 or 96 hours.

In this instance, a spokesperson for Wiltshire Police confirmed to the Adver that a Superintendent authorised a further 12-hour detention for the suspect, on top of the original 24 hours.

After 36 hours, the force would need to apply to a magistrate for a warrant of further detention.

As of midday on Tuesday, there were three forensic vans parked sporadically around Standen Way, as well as a couple of police cars and police community support officers had been seen patrolling the area on bikes. 

One car with an officer sat inside it was directly guarding the property, a two-storey terrace house, with a garden full of multi-coloured roses.

PICTURES: CSI at crime scene in Blunsdon murder probe

Reporter Daniel Wood said from the scene: "No movement can be seen from police around the street and currently, there is no obvious police tape or forensic activity outside of the property in question.

"No one is around. If the forensic vans and police cars weren't there you'd have no idea anything had happened."

A private ambulance arrived at the small cul-de-sac of houses at 12.45pm, and left shortly after. Forensic officers have remained at the scene as the investigation continues. 

The circumstances surrounding the as-yet-unidentified female victim's death and why police have considered it to be unexplained are not yet known.

A spokesperson for Wiltshire Police yesterday said: “People living locally will see an increased police presence throughout the day and we want to provide reassurance that there is no risk to the wider public.

“Anyone with information is asked to call 101, quoting log 26 of today [21/6].”