Witnesses who bravely gave crucial evidence during the Owen Dunn murder trial have been recommended for an award. 

Several witnesses who saw the fatal stabbing of 18-year-old Owen Dunn take place on December 4, 2022, appeared during the two-week trial at Bristol Crown Court to give evidence, despite being young teenagers themselves. 

After the trial, which saw Tyler Hunt, 18, and an unnamed 15-year-old jailed for over a combined 30 years, the judge said she would be recommending some of them for an award from the High Sheriff.

The two detectives that led the investigation into Owen Dunn's murder have also praised all of the witnesses who came forward with information - despite the violent nature of the incident. 

Detective Sergeant Louise Kuklisnki said: "We would not have got the outcome without the evidence that the public supplied.

"CCTV footage, Ring doorbell footage, Dashcam footage, and eyewitness accounts were all huge to this investigation.

"But one thing that struck me was the bravery of the eyewitnesses to go to court and give evidence, some very young, the whole court could really feel the impact of how young some of these people were."

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Walker, who was the Senior Investigating Officer, added: "I want to commend their bravery because they were a great support to us.

"These people witnessed something that not many people will do so in life, I'm a detective and I've never witnessed one, I don’t know that experience. So, the bravery of them coming forward, not only to talk to us at the time but to continue their evidence and appear in court is huge. 

"I know that Owen's family are very grateful."

During the trial, the court heard how a group of three young people were among those on Mazurek Way when the fatal stabbing happened. 

They recounted how they had seen the defendants 'looking for someone' before the attack, and how during the the attack the Hunt and the 15-year-old boy appeared to 'ambush' Owen Dunn as he cycled towards them.

The pair were found guilty by a jury in December and on January 5, Hunt, of Park South, was sentenced to a minimum term of 19 years in jail and the 15-year-old was sentenced to a minimum term of 12 years.