A Swindon secondary school has notified parents of quick action it took after 'intruders' entered school grounds. 

Parents were told that an "intruder" had been located an removed from the site within five minutes on Friday, at around 2.30pm.

The school added that it was increasing its security measures.

Despite rumours, including on social media, stating the person had a knife, Wiltshire Police has told the Adver no weapon was seized.

The force confirmed that a PCSO who was at the school on an unrelated matter also helped teachers to deal with the incident. 

A spokesperson added that no arrests were made afterwards. 

In the email sent to parents, Dorcan Academy's headteacher, Sherryl Bareham, said: "We are aware that there was an intruder on site today at around 2.30pm.

"Within 5 minutes they had been located and removed and the police arrived immediately to support us with this.

"We maintained staff presence around the site to ensure the safety of students leaving at the end of the school day.

"No one was harmed however, on return, we will increase security measures around the site as much as we possibly can. Please be assured that the safety of students and staff is our top priority."

Parents of children at the school who saw the incident have told the Adver that teachers were seen immediately approaching the intruder, who it is believed was a child from another school. 

"It's always alarming getting an email like that, but from what it said and what my child told me, it sounds like it was handled quickly and efficiently by the school, so I just wanted to say a big thank you to the staff for their quick action," one parent said. 

Another added: "I can't fault them on this."

There had been some reports a knife was seen but this was refuted by a statement on the incident provided by Wiltshire Police.

A police spokesperson said: "On Friday afternoon, a PCSO was attending Dorcan Academy on an unrelated matter when she was informed two people, a young male and female who didn’t attend the school, had been removed from the school grounds.

“The PCSO located the male outside who provided his details to the officer and gave no cause for concern.

“No weapons were seen.”