The birthplace and home of nature writer, Richard Jefferies will be open to the public every Sunday from the beginning of May to the end of September from 2-5pm as well as the second Wednesday of the month from 10am-4pm thanks to volunteers from the Richard Jefferies Society. This is the first year that the Museum will be open every Sunday and there is no admission charge.

Richard Jefferies was born at Coate Farm near Swindon on 6th of November 1848. The author spent his childhood exploring the local fields, woods and streams, observing wildlife and nature with an enquiring eye. The area around his home at Coate has been known for years as “Jefferies Land”. It has become a place of pilgrimage for generations of readers who follow in his footsteps along Day House Lane to the Downs.

Jefferies has been described as a “many sided genius”. Historians cite him as an authority on agriculture and rural life in Victorian England. Major studies of mysticism have anthologised his work and discussed his ideas. He wrote one of the great novels for boys, as well as several highly original novels for adult readers. He is recognised as one of the greatest nature writers in the language and he topped a Guardian 2005 poll for favourite country writers.

The Richard Jefferies Museum backs onto Coate Water Country Park, next to the Sun Inn pub and is sheltered behind a large stone wall that hides it from the Marlborough Road. It offers a glimpse into the writer’s life and works.

More information can be found on the Richard Jefferies Society website or by phoning the Secretary on 01793 783040.

Based on information supplied by Jean Saunders.