LAWRENCE Vigouroux’s stunning first-half penalty save ensured Swindon Town left AFC Wimbledon with a point following a goalless draw this afternoon.

Lyle Taylor’s spot-kick was the one real genuine chance for either side at Kingsmeadow in a game bereft of any real quality, although whether it should have even been given was highly dubious.

Tom Elliott fell to the floor theatrically as Conor Thomas attempted to make a challenge in the Town box on the half-hour mark and although it did not appeare that the Town defender had made any contact, referee John Busby pointed to the spot nonetheless.

Justice was perhaps done, though, as Taylor stepped up to strike from 12 yards as Vigouroux turned his strike around the post.

The home side were the quicker to settle and Taylor made a nuisance of himself for the Town back-line as he regularly cut in with purpose from the left, although there was nothing to overly threaten the visitors.

It took a quarter of an hour for Town to have their first real chance as Darnell Furlong connected with a Yaser Kasim corner, although his strike was not crisp and the hosts were able to clear.

Ellis Iandolo swiftly won back possession and kick-started another attack, which again ended with Furlong, who this time blazed wide on the angle.

A lovely piece of quick interplay between Swindon’s midfield trio created their next chance as Sean Murray slipped in John Goddard but his tame effort dribbled wide.

The Dons had been limited to half-chances for the first 30 minutes but were promptly presented with a gilt-edged opportunity to break the deadlock.

Elliott got the ball in the box and although Thomas lunged in to win possession, he appeared to get nowhere near either man or ball but the Dons went down anyway.

However, referee Busby deemed there had been a foul and pointed to the spot but Vigouroux brilliantly flung himself to his right to tip Taylor’s strike around the post.

Town then had their best chance when a Murray free-kick was only half-cleared by the home defence and dropped nicely to Kasim 12 yards out but his shot through a crowded box was straight at James Shea.

An entertaining first half ended with another fine stop from Vigouroux as Elliott cut the ball back for Dean Parrett to crack in a snap-shot but the Town keeper was able to turn the ball away with his legs.

Again it was the Dons who started the more positively after the break but good chances remained at a premium.

Elliott took over from Taylor as the chief troublemaker for the Town defence and threw himself to meet a dangerous Jon Meades cross in the six-yard box on the hour mark but Swindon skipper Nathan Thompson did just enough to put him off making a clean connection.

That seemed to kick-start Town into life and they promptly broke at pace and after Murray had a shot blocked on the edge of the box, the ball fell nicely to Kasim but he blasted over the top.

The visitors went close again with 15 minutes to go as Kasim’s free-kick was not dealt with and substitute Luke Norris got his foot on the ball before threading it to Furlong, who fired across goal but narrowly wide.

Quality further disappeared from the game in the closing stages, although the home side thought they had nicked the points in stoppage time when substitute Tyrone Barnett tucked home a cross from close range but Town were saved by an offside flag to ensure they travelled home with a well-earned point.

AFC WIMBLEDON: Shea, Fuller, Robinson, Charles, Meades, Bulman, Reeves, Parrett, Elliott (Poleon 70), Taylor (Barnett 70), Barcham (Whelpdale 80). Subs not used: McDonnell, Nightingale, Egan, Robertson.

SWINDON TOWN: Vigouroux, Furlong, Thompson, Thomas, Brophy, Rogers, Kasim, Iandolo (Barry 83), Murray, Goddard, Delfouneso (Norris 66). Subs not used: Henry, Evans, Smith, Twine, Ouldridge.

Referee: John Busby

Attendance: 4,800 (820 away)