ANGER, frustration and patience – emotions that stricken speedway rider Mitchell Davey had to deal with, face and control during his six-month spell away from the track following his horror spill at Birmingham in May.

Davey, who at the time was racing for Swindon Robins and the Brummies, was only just clicking his season into gear when he donned his Birmingham race suit for the Knockout Cup clash against the Mildenhall Fen Tigers on May 9.

A horror four-man crash in heat five at Perry Barr left the Queensland-born racer in intensive care – scans later revealing that the Aussie suffered a punctured lung, several chipped vertebrae, a broken shoulder blade and 12 broken ribs.

Remarkably, the Swindon reserve made a return to the saddle at the Brummies’ season finale last week – defying advice from doctors and the belief of fans on the terraces.

“To get back on a bike five months after the accident was good,” Davey told the Advertiser.

“Mentally, once I started feeling better I was setting myself targets. Every time my physio set me a target, I’d always try and achieve that little bit more than what he said to help aid my recovery.

“My shoulder felt weak after I finished on the bike, so I took a bit of time to rebuild the strength.

“It was a big psychological boost, because racing at the track where the incident happens helps you discover if you think about it or not.”

Now based in Scotland, the former long track and dirt track racer spoke of the mental battles he faced when completing simple day-to-day tasks.

He said: “I couldn’t move in bed. Small things like changing the bed sheets proved such a hard task.

“Things were doable, but the biggest problem I faced was my breathing. It’s never nice when you’re struggling to breathe when doing something.

“It was a rollercoaster of emotions. I was upset and mad, then the next minute I wanted to be racing.

“I’d visit the doctors and they would say ‘give it another couple of months’.

“My physical fitness has helped my recovery. Initially, they were talking three months for the bones to heal and six months before doing any physical activity.”

The incident has done little to dent the Aussie’s confidence, though.

A return to the track in 2019 is already on his mind as he explained the mental pain of watching Swindon race on TV was far greater than the physical pain he suffered in the months following the freak spill.

“I’ve got to admit, I was pretty angry,” admitted Davey.

“I got told what had happened, and watching the video back I was angry about what had happened.

“My whole season was taken away from me because of a silly mistake. The Monday afterwards – when Swindon had their first match on BT Sport – I just wanted to be racing.

“I wanted to get back on the bike, but I was in so much pain I knew I wouldn’t be able to rush things. I had to let everything heal properly.

“Riding for Swindon has been one of the best things I’ve ever done.

“It’s a waiting game now to see what happens at the AGM and then I can see what options are available.”