SWINDON Town's search for back-to-back League Two wins continues after they were beaten 1-0 by in form Colchester United. 

Phil Brown made one change from the team who were victorious at Meadow Lane seven days ago, as Midfielder Michael Doughty missed out with a foot injury.

Defender Joe Romanski came into the team on the left of defence, as player-coach Matthew Taylor moved further up the field.

Chances were few and far between in the first 45 minutes at the JobServe Community Stadium as neither side were able to assert their style of play onto the game.

After a frantic start, it soon became apparent why Town’s hosts were so high up the League Two standings as they worked incredibly hard to close down Brown’s XI.

There was a slight change of plan for Town as Marc Richards was replaced by Elijah Adebayo after the veteran picked up an injury during the pre-match warm up.

Most of the pre-match chat had been surrounding Colchester striker Luke Norris, as he came up against his former employers for the first time since he was sold in the summer.

Norris scored 13 goals for Town last term, despite struggling with a shoulder problem for large parts of the campaign.

Referee Dean Whitestone was busy marshalling the game as both teams started the throw in some heavy tackles.

Swindon’s first shot of the game came from Jermain McGlashan and it was a tame one as his left-footed effort was easily saved by Rene Gilmartin.

Despite their being a lack of chances, there was a goal before the break as Sammie Szmodics put Colchester ahead on the stroke oh half time, moments after striker Norris was stretchered off.

In the second half, skipper Olly Lancashire added to Town’s woes when he was replaced by Dion Conroy after taking a knock at the near post from a corner in the 56th minute.

Brown then replaced Jak McCourt for Steven Alzate in a bid to breathe some life back into the game for the away side.

In the 63rd minute, Brown made his final change of the game as defender Romanski came off for Keshi Anderson, seeing Swindon revert to a 4-3-3 formation.

Goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux hadn’t been given too much to do, but was called into action and had to parry Ryan Jackson’s well-hit shot clear as Swindon searched for an equaliser.

With 15 minutes to play, Swindon had their best chance of the game when Martin Smith was slipped in on goal, only for him to hit the keeper.

Anderson was the next player to get a shot at Gilmartin and in truth, he should have done better as his lashed Alzate’s cross wide of the far post.

Late on, McGlashan was handed a yellow card for simulation as he looked to trick the referee into giving Town a spot kick. 

Five minutes of injury time wasn't enough to Town as they slumped to a 1-0 defeat.